New struts? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Region: Texas
New struts?

I've had trouble with the alignment on my 2002 GT mustang with 84k miles for some time.

I had pretty worn tires and kept doing the alignment and it would be good for a few days and then start to steer off center/ and or pull.

I actually lowered my car an inch or two by putting shorter springs on all four corners and that solved the problem for a few weeks.

My car has been riding bouncy though and I have leaky factory struts. To top it off my car started pulling and is offer center again so much that high speed you can feel the car/steering wheel shake.

I feel I need to replace all the struts and tires, because both affect the alignment of the car.

For the tires I'm just going to go to Discount Tire Co. and get some high quality all season tires.

For the struts I want something that will give a decent not so bouncy ride while giving me good handling and without spending a fortune.

Where can I decent struts? Which struts do I buy? How much should I spend? How do I install them? How much does it cost to have someone else install them?

I've also heard about special top side strut plates to help adjust camber etc.. where do I get these? How much are they? Is it worth it?

Is there anything else I need to know about my car and these issues?

Please help

Thank you

-James
Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
how low did you go...if 1.5" or less no need for C&C plates...i just finished putting on sensa trac shocks on my car with it lowered and it rides like a dream lol...i've been hearing good things about the Gabriels at Autozone too for the money. As for the alignment if you want to pick up some camber bolts from any autoparts store so the alignment shop can fix you up.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted View Post
I've had trouble with the alignment on my 2002 GT mustang with 84k miles for some time.

I had pretty worn tires and kept doing the alignment and it would be good for a few days and then start to steer off center/ and or pull.

I actually lowered my car an inch or two by putting shorter springs on all four corners and that solved the problem for a few weeks.

My car has been riding bouncy though and I have leaky factory struts. To top it off my car started pulling and is offer center again so much that high speed you can feel the car/steering wheel shake.

I feel I need to replace all the struts and tires, because both affect the alignment of the car.

For the tires I'm just going to go to Discount Tire Co. and get some high quality all season tires.

For the struts I want something that will give a decent not so bouncy ride while giving me good handling and without spending a fortune.

Where can I decent struts? Which struts do I buy? How much should I spend? How do I install them? How much does it cost to have someone else install them?

I've also heard about special top side strut plates to help adjust camber etc.. where do I get these? How much are they? Is it worth it?

Is there anything else I need to know about my car and these issues?

Please help

Thank you

-James
Check out rock auto.com I picked up two motorcraft struts for $72. Not sure if they are still there but I just installed them on today and I'm impressed
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Monroe sensatracs are good struts. I have delt with them no complaints so far. As to your pulling it may be besides shocks and tires maybe a bad inner tie rod ir outer. Deff check all the steering parts as well as suspension to keep ur stang riding nice straight and smooth
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I run tociko blues, nice struts and shocks for lowered stangs
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT