battery question??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
battery question???

Is it normal on our cars to have the battery light flicker on and off once in a while. It's been doing that and today it stayed on for like 15 seconds while driving at night with radio and lights on. Never done that before just wld flicker. I have checked my volts and running they are constantly over 14 volts. My battery is good and my connections are very clean. I have read of other mustangs with this problems so is this normal???
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
nope...usually means the alternator is starting to ripple

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
nope...usually means the alternator is starting to ripple
That's what I thought too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
On the same note of battery question is it normal for a Mustang to be dead if not driven for 2-3 days? 24 hrs is ok but anything more than that I need to jump it once in the am. Once jumped it operates fine until it sits for more than 24 hours. Battery gauge shows normal.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
On the same note of battery question is it normal for a Mustang to be dead if not driven for 2-3 days? 24 hrs is ok but anything more than that I need to jump it once in the am. Once jumped it operates fine until it sits for more than 24 hours. Battery gauge shows normal.
From the looks of it its not normal. I let mine sit two weeks and when it was time it started fine the first time. Does your battery go uncharged just sitting? Is it old? What's ur climate like? Or is something draining ur battery?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Asia
Climate right now is freezing and snow. Alarm system would be pulling off the battery while sitting.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

For that weather it can be normal...something is always drawing off the car even if you dont have the key in it.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear
Climate right now is freezing and snow. Alarm system would be pulling off the battery while sitting.
Yea climate affects it big time. Freezing temps cld drain it rather quick.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Have the alternator checked. Mine had a bad diode causing inconsistent charging.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Polar Bear---Bring it to somewhere like advance auto, there dumb as hell but have them hook up the battery and alternator tester to your car they can check everything at once with one machine, and get results in 3 min and its free! Sounds like your battery though when it gets cold your battery's performance is going to drop.

charlie03fastGT----- I would recommenced the same thing (except your battery isn't the issue) but before that i would check all the connections to the alternator and battery make sure there are no loose connections or bad grounds or anything loose it can be a pain but better it be a free loose wire or bad connection than it be a bad $120 alternator.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you end up needing an alternator, buy one at Advance auto parts online, use a coupon code, and pick it up. The guys at my local Advance hates me because I never pay anywhere close to what I should.
AgentOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange
If you end up needing an alternator, buy one at Advance auto parts online, use a coupon code, and pick it up. The guys at my local Advance hates me because I never pay anywhere close to what I should.
Lol. Advance auto hasn't hit my area yet. I do run an autozone though and have access to any alternator brand I want. I am thinking Motorcraft. Plus discount
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie03fastGT View Post
Is it normal on our cars to have the battery light flicker on and off once in a while. It's been doing that and today it stayed on for like 15 seconds while driving at night with radio and lights on. Never done that before just wld flicker. I have checked my volts and running they are constantly over 14 volts. My battery is good and my connections are very clean. I have read of other mustangs with this problems so is this normal???
It is also normal IF the battery has a weak cell. Weak cells can output their share of the voltage under no or low load, however they cannot provide the rated current (amperage). Get the battery load tested or check the voltage while cranking the engine--it should not fall below 10.5 V while cranking...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT