clatter noise in small rpm range - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Region: Mississippi
clatter noise in small rpm range

Thanks for any help in identifying probable causes of a disturbing sound in my 2002 GT coupe. I am hearing what is best described as a 'muffled clatter' sound that seems to come from the drivers side area just in front of the instrument panel when applying gas in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range. This noise is not present during the first hour or so of highway driving, (even when I try to recreate it). However, after shutting down for maybe 10 minutes and restarting for a similar drive...the clatter in that range becomes very apparent (usually going into third gear). Could this be a fuel-flow problem or perhaps a timing issue? The fuel pump has been recently replaced along with the filter. While the noise worries me a lot, I cannot detect any change in engine performance when it happens...Just the attention-grabbing noise. Is that 'cool down' period I mentioned having any effect on how it runs on the next warm-up? (If memory is correct..Seems more apparent during periods of hot weather). Thanks again for any advice. PS..This premium coupe (4.6L V8) is completely stock except for the aftermarket American-made fuel pump.
Tardis Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Is the sound similar to marbles in a tin can?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

Not as harsh as your description so I don't think it relates to anything like the clutch or TOB. (Car has 68,000 miles on it). More of a low frequency vibration. Like a lawn mower with a clogged air filter..(The standard air filter was replaced during the last oil change ~ 500 miles ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

I'm wondering if you are not experiencing pinging from low grade fuel. Does the sound get worse if you put more load on the motor?
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #5

Yes it does! I've been using ONLY regular grade (87 octane..Texaco specifically) because the owner's manual pretty much demands it and warns against using anything higher. I've been advised to try premium every fourth fill-up but have resisted the temptation since I bought the car 2 years ago (w/46k miles). Come to think of it..The stations around my area have been 'suspect' before. Could this be a 'bad' gas issue? Should I briefly try a higher octane or even just a different brand? With Amaco (formerly American) no longer available..I'd always relied on Texaco. (Who remembers 'Fire-Chief' grade? Just showing my age I guess..)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tardis Traveler View Post
Yes it does! I've been using ONLY regular grade (87 octane..Texaco specifically) because the owner's manual pretty much demands it and warns against using anything higher. I've been advised to try premium every fourth fill-up but have resisted the temptation since I bought the car 2 years ago (w/46k miles). Come to think of it..The stations around my area have been 'suspect' before. Could this be a 'bad' gas issue? Should I briefly try a higher octane or even just a different brand? With Amaco (formerly American) no longer available..I'd always relied on Texaco. (Who remembers 'Fire-Chief' grade? Just showing my age I guess..)
I only use 93 octane from shell and Mobil.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

There are plenty of Shell stations in my area...perhaps for good reason. Going to the lone Texaco was actually inconvenient. Perhaps I'll try their regular to start and when brave enough gradually move up in octane. (93 octane? That excites the hell out of me!) Will let you know how it's working out. Thanks for your time and the benefit of your experience! Have a great day!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I wouldn't jump out there and just start throwing money at 93 octane quite yet.

May be worth while to get some quality 87 octane and run a tank of some high quality fuel system cleaner.

Depending on mileage it could just be time for spark plugs. The gap gets larger overtime which can lead to this same issue.
Our's:
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Agreed. Going to 93 won't help anything unless your running tuning for it. I would run a quality tank (or 3 to get the old out) through the car and use a fuel injector cleaner through the system. If this doesn't solve the issues, then change the fuel filter. After that, I would recommend trying a premium fuel (91) and if you still don't see improvement you may have other issues which need to be dealt with.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'd fill up my tank full of ethanol free 87 gas and some seafoam. That stuff does wonders.
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT