1998 Mustang GT P.I. Head Swap self install? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
1998 Mustang GT P.I. Head Swap self install?

Hello all!!

Okay so getting ready to do the PI Head Swap on my 1998 Mustang GT Convertible. I found various options for kits online that come with all of the parts I need to do it but labor is insanely expensive. I'm just wanting to know what all is involved in a self install. The only things is done by myself is installing my shifter, K&N Cold Air intake, stereo and steering wheel, rear seat delete kit and all that jazz. As long as I have step by step instructions I am comfortable doing it myself and I haven't checked yet by I did pick up a Hayes repair manual. I'm basically looking for advice from you all. Anything would be helpful. The engine doesn't have to come out as far as I know and I seems simple I'm just wondering how precise certain things have to be. Also wanna know about porting the heads at a machine shop. I would also love to get some links to chrome valve covers. I look forward to all of the replies!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mustang_Madness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fairchild AFB
Region: Washington
Posts: 686
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?
__________________
K&N CAI, Cobra 18" Rims, Cobra Brakes, More Mods to come!
Mustang_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?
I hope so I mean I've gotta some awesome info by myself I could send ya. I thought about changing the cams but it seems to become a nightmare in price and not worth the 20+ rwhp you get....
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
I am in the process of getting together all the parts to do this myself. In the spring when it warms up I will begin. My brother is a mechanic and will be helping. Good luck man, keep us posted.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then
I looked over everything in the Hayes repair manual and holy crap that's alot of work. I'm not so sure about being able to do it myself anymore. I'm honestly worried I won't do something right and the aftermath being more expensive than having just paid someone else to do it in the meantime. What does porting the heads do and how much extra horsepower will it give me?

Could anyone post recommendations on valve covers with links to buy them?? Thanks guys!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
M97stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 50
chrome p.i. valve covers are hard to find and expensive
M97stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by M97stang View Post
chrome p.i. valve covers are hard to find and expensive
Dude I've come this far lol

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.
I forgot about Lethal I will check there too thanks!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Port the heads man. With the compression your going to gain with the pi swap the ported heads will make a great difference.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Port the heads man. With the compression your going to gain with the pi swap the ported heads will make a great difference.
What's required for porting the heads and who do I call, etc? Never done this before so it's new to me...thanks!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Just call a machine shop man
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Just call a machine shop man
Okay I put a list together. How much extra horsepower should I expect from porting the heads?
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.
Actually yah I did look into cams but the extra 20+ horsepower didn't seem worth the extra $1,000. What type of cams would/should I get? If I'm gonna do it then its now or never.
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Comp stage 2s
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Comp stage 2s
That's funny those were the exact ones I was looking at. What HP gain will I see with those cams and the head swap?
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable
What all would I have to change? Would I be able to install the cams myself? The heads will be coming in the mail fully assembled.
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Idk your mechanical skills. But i did my cams myself.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Idk your mechanical skills. But i did my cams myself.
Most I've done so far was install a k and n cold air intake. That was in a thousand pieces when it came in the mail.
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
Well there are how to videos out there. Just take your time and use the right tools.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Well there are how to videos out there. Just take your time and use the right tools.
Definitely gonna look into it. Any advice on tuners? I was looking at bama
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
bottlefed04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: kearney
Region: Missouri
Posts: 55
I use sct. Only because i have the software though
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hudson
Region: Florida
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
I use sct. Only because i have the software though
Thanks for all of the advice. It's been very helpful. I even in the meantime ended up snagging the heads as a pair for $420 shipped!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1998 mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:16 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.