1998 Mustang GT P.I. Head Swap self install? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
1998 Mustang GT P.I. Head Swap self install?

Hello all!!

Okay so getting ready to do the PI Head Swap on my 1998 Mustang GT Convertible. I found various options for kits online that come with all of the parts I need to do it but labor is insanely expensive. I'm just wanting to know what all is involved in a self install. The only things is done by myself is installing my shifter, K&N Cold Air intake, stereo and steering wheel, rear seat delete kit and all that jazz. As long as I have step by step instructions I am comfortable doing it myself and I haven't checked yet by I did pick up a Hayes repair manual. I'm basically looking for advice from you all. Anything would be helpful. The engine doesn't have to come out as far as I know and I seems simple I'm just wondering how precise certain things have to be. Also wanna know about porting the heads at a machine shop. I would also love to get some links to chrome valve covers. I look forward to all of the replies!!
OverC1ockeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Madness View Post
I am Right there with ya. Im about to do the same thing! Im interested to see where this goes. Hopefully someone can explain. Maybe sticky it?
I hope so I mean I've gotta some awesome info by myself I could send ya. I thought about changing the cams but it seems to become a nightmare in price and not worth the 20+ rwhp you get....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I am in the process of getting together all the parts to do this myself. In the spring when it warms up I will begin. My brother is a mechanic and will be helping. Good luck man, keep us posted.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
Porting the pi heads will be worth it while u have the heads out still. As for the install its quite easy. Nothing hard about it but refer to the repair manual for help. Timing will be about the biggest step to get right besides head bolt torque. When you go into it besides pi heads maje sure u have pi intake manifold and the gaskets for it. Best bet get a head gasket kit for a 99-04 stang since they have pi heads and mani it will come with everything. Another issue will be the crank pulley. If u dont have a powered impact gun can be quite difficult unless u lock the flywheel in place. Any questions feel free to ask them here as to you will get alot of help from this forum and its members.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I made the mistakes in not porting mine a long time ago but i have another set so ill take advantage then
I looked over everything in the Hayes repair manual and holy crap that's alot of work. I'm not so sure about being able to do it myself anymore. I'm honestly worried I won't do something right and the aftermath being more expensive than having just paid someone else to do it in the meantime. What does porting the heads do and how much extra horsepower will it give me?

Could anyone post recommendations on valve covers with links to buy them?? Thanks guys!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
chrome p.i. valve covers are hard to find and expensive
M97stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M97stang View Post
chrome p.i. valve covers are hard to find and expensive
Dude I've come this far lol

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Porting heads makes your motor breathe more. Makes more power with the more mods added on. Check summit racing american muscle and steeda for balve covers. Leathal motorsports and stage 3 should also have some.
I forgot about Lethal I will check there too thanks!!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Port the heads man. With the compression your going to gain with the pi swap the ported heads will make a great difference.
bottlefed04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlefed04 View Post
Port the heads man. With the compression your going to gain with the pi swap the ported heads will make a great difference.
What's required for porting the heads and who do I call, etc? Never done this before so it's new to me...thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Just call a machine shop man
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just call a machine shop man
Okay I put a list together. How much extra horsepower should I expect from porting the heads?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
do yourself a favor, upgrade the valves so it can hold atleast stage 2 cams for a later installation. that way you get alot of the things that you would have to do in the head out of the way for future growth on the power.
Actually yah I did look into cams but the extra 20+ horsepower didn't seem worth the extra $1,000. What type of cams would/should I get? If I'm gonna do it then its now or never.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Comp stage 2s
Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Comp stage 2s
That's funny those were the exact ones I was looking at. What HP gain will I see with those cams and the head swap?
Old 01-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Really depends on the flow of the heads and the tune man. Without a tune maybe 30hp

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Which is very noticeable
What all would I have to change? Would I be able to install the cams myself? The heads will be coming in the mail fully assembled.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Idk your mechanical skills. But i did my cams myself.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Idk your mechanical skills. But i did my cams myself.
Most I've done so far was install a k and n cold air intake. That was in a thousand pieces when it came in the mail.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Well there are how to videos out there. Just take your time and use the right tools.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well there are how to videos out there. Just take your time and use the right tools.
Definitely gonna look into it. Any advice on tuners? I was looking at bama
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I use sct. Only because i have the software though
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I use sct. Only because i have the software though
Thanks for all of the advice. It's been very helpful. I even in the meantime ended up snagging the heads as a pair for $420 shipped!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
1998 mustang