flow master vs magna flow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
whats a good exaughst set up. Should i get xpipes or just get a flow master cat back both with a vtech super charger
Kid_Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I like the sound of flowmasters but not the power. I went from having no mufflers to having original 40s I could tell instantly it dropped. I'm not saying run no muffs cause with no muffs and no cats it's stupid loud. I'd run something like the SLP loudmouth 2. Not as hardcore as the 1s but sound amazing. Unless all out power isn't your concern lol
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0t4lbl4ck0ut View Post
I like the sound of flowmasters but not the power. I went from having no mufflers to having original 40s I could tell instantly it dropped. I'm not saying run no muffs cause with no muffs and no cats it's stupid loud. I'd run something like the SLP loudmouth 2. Not as hardcore as the 1s but sound amazing. Unless all out power isn't your concern lol
Thanks man yeah buy im not sure if i should use xpipes. does it add a good amount of power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
do u have stock midpipe right now?

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
do u have stock midpipe right now?
Yeah stock mid pipes. i have a stock 1996 mustang gt.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I Run Mac Brand Mufflers, they have a time similar to that of FM's but it's unique and ppl tell me often they like it better then FM's.. Keep in mind I don't have a mod motor so yours will sound diff but there a bunch of great sounding mufflers out there and FM's are great but not the 'gold standard' anymore.. Adding a good mid pipe will help also..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I Run Mac Brand Mufflers, they have a time similar to that of FM's but it's unique and ppl tell me often they like it better then FM's.. Keep in mind I don't have a mod motor so yours will sound diff but there a bunch of great sounding mufflers out there and FM's are great but not the 'gold standard' anymore.. Adding a good mid pipe will help also..
thanks man yeah im thinking of adding a super charger but as of now its just a 4.6 v8
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Ceej View Post

Yeah stock mid pipes. i have a stock 1996 mustang gt.
get an off road mid pipe if u want loud. just research on youtube and see whats ur taste in sound. i have off road x for my mid pipe with flowmaster 40's . i got cutouts behind my muffler so its really loud now but i think im gona switch to slp's sometime in the near future cuz i want a different sound in tone already

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

oh hell yeah but the problem isbi need it to pass inspection. I forgot bout that lol
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I had flowmaster 40s with x-pipe and changed to Magnaflow. And I will never go back to flow masters. You can tell the difference and I've read online they restrict your performance more ten help it. An it's such a common sound.
Defying_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post

get an off road mid pipe if u want loud. just research on youtube and see whats ur taste in sound. i have off road x for my mid pipe with flowmaster 40's . i got cutouts behind my muffler so its really loud now but i think im gona switch to slp's sometime in the near future cuz i want a different sound in tone already
I know that feeling. Mines just loud. It's not even aggressive really. Just loud... I need new stuff...

1/4 mile: N/A
1/2 mile: N/A
mile: N/A
top (track) speed achieved est.: 145 mph
Classic Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
crappy quality and ignore me at the end lol however this is my setup, o/r x pipe no cats at all to flowmaster dumps stock shorty headers for now. overall i love the drone sound on the highway, and the backfiring she does lol. to me it sounds still too soft and i want louder lol
Attached Files
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post
crappy quality and ignore me at the end lol however this is my setup, o/r x pipe no cats at all to flowmaster dumps stock shorty headers for now. overall i love the drone sound on the highway, and the backfiring she does lol. to me it sounds still too soft and i want louder lol
Yeah im gonna get xpipes with a cat lol ( so i pass inspection lol) but can u give me the link i didnt get to watch it. But yeah i want loud. Not obnoxiously loud but loud lol
Old 02-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I cant watch it either on the mobile app but on computer it can. Weird lol
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I cant watch it either on the mobile app but on computer it can. Weird lol
but cam u help me out. lol what company xpipe with cat should i get. for a 1996 4.6 mustang gt v8. slp loudmouth, magmaflow, flowmaster, or borla
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Personally i want slps its like having open headers almost....just my style lol. However it depends on you really if u like low tones then h pipe is best sound. X pipe gives u that raspy sound at higher rpms but gives u better flow imo. Magnaflows sounds nice and low and sound good overall with o/r x pipe. Borla not too sure about them but for the price they are at im not that rich lol.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Also depends on how u want it. If u send it all the way back you will be heard however if u do dumped down like i did u may not like the drone while u drive and it personally sounds better dumped down. Its all about what u want. If anything search up dumped down exhaust on a stang and comparr it to piped exhaust so u get an idea. Youtibe does no justice for our cars sounds but will give u an idea
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defying_Fate View Post
I had flowmaster 40s with x-pipe and changed to Magnaflow. And I will never go back to flow masters. You can tell the difference and I've read online they restrict your performance more ten help it. An it's such a common sound.
+1
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Personally i want slps its like having open headers almost....just my style lol. However it depends on you really if u like low tones then h pipe is best sound. X pipe gives u that raspy sound at higher rpms but gives u better flow imo. Magnaflows sounds nice and low and sound good overall with o/r x pipe. Borla not too sure about them but for the price they are at im not that rich lol.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Also depends on how u want it. If u send it all the way back you will be heard however if u do dumped down like i did u may not like the drone while u drive and it personally sounds better dumped down. Its all about what u want. If anything search up dumped down exhaust on a stang and comparr it to piped exhaust so u get an idea. Youtibe does no justice for our cars sounds but will give u an idea
yeah for right now i plan on getting a slp loudmouth cat with cold air intake and then a super charger
Old 02-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I have had both flow masters and magna flows. The magna flows have a deeper and cleaner sound. The magna flow catbacks are all stainless with polished mufflers. Here is a small clip if mine Idling. I have ceramic hooker long tubes and h pipe
http://youtu.be/hDWBjNIFO_M
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
+1^w/Mac Prochamber
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have magna flows now and I think ima change to either mac or flows..u cant beat the way flows sound.its the original mustang sound. U do lose some power with them but its not much at all. The macs sound good to with the h pipe.not sure which ima go with
R6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6man View Post
I have magna flows now and I think ima change to either mac or flows..u cant beat the way flows sound.its the original mustang sound. U do lose some power with them but its not much at all. The macs sound good to with the h pipe.not sure which ima go with
the problem is i cant have it eliminate the cat converter bc i need it for the stupid inspection but other wise i would run straight pipes lol
Old 02-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Straight pipes are awful for a motor..it needs back pressure
Old 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Straight pipes are awful for a motor..it needs back pressure
not necessarily i learned that the "you need back pressure" is a myth, got schooled on it earlier when i was new to this forum, and have learned since then. there is a post on it when i find it ill share link
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

People can say what they want thats how a motor works. A diesle doesnt need back pressure
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
personally love the way mac sounds with bbk longtubes and x pipe.

Bbk off road xpipe mustang - YouTube
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
People can say what they want thats how a motor works. A diesle doesnt need back pressure
Correct but incorrect at the same time, no back pressure would allow less performance but it's not necessarily "bad" for a motor.. That technically is a myth saying its bad for a motor. and Correct Diesel motors do NOT need back pressure and will NOT lose performance from it.
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Not my thread since I'm a 08 v6 but just bored lol...and the key is just balancing out how much air is getting in and out of the motor. Turbo charge an engine and straight piping will do wonders for it because of all the extra air but a natural motor does need a little back pressure to make maximum power
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Back-pressure
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT