Coolent leak help!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Okay so the leak is coming from my thermostat housing..the autozone man said to replace a gasket and that will fix it..well then he said that it doesn't have a gasket?? And that I will have to buy a whole new plenum to fix this??? Is this a $200 fix or a cheap fix? If u have questions please ask them bc I need help on this. It seems to be oozing out the front but the back is squirting it out whenever I get high rpms
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1997957164.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	87840  
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
98vertgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Okay so the leak is coming from my thermostat housing..the autozone man said to replace a gasket and that will fix it..well then he said that it doesn't have a gasket?? And that I will have to buy a whole new plenum to fix this??? Is this a $200 fix or a cheap fix? If u have questions please ask them bc I need help on this. It seems to be oozing out the front but the back is squirting it out whenever I get high rpms
What year is your car?
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt

What year is your car?
There's a pic forgot to upload it but it's a 03 gt
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
charlie03fastGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Okay so the leak is coming from my thermostat housing..the autozone man said to replace a gasket and that will fix it..well then he said that it doesn't have a gasket?? And that I will have to buy a whole new plenum to fix this??? Is this a $200 fix or a cheap fix? If u have questions please ask them bc I need help on this. It seems to be oozing out the front but the back is squirting it out whenever I get high rpms
Same thing happened to me. It's the whole thing. I had to put a new manifold. The crack was on the thermostat housing by the upper radiator hose.
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie03fastGT

Same thing happened to me. It's the whole thing. I had to put a new manifold. The crack was on the thermostat housing by the upper radiator hose.
U had to get a new housing?? Mines at the bottom,I'm scared if I buy the whole plenum that it's still ganna be messed up and it coulda been a simple fix and I culda just used the money for foglights
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
charlie03fastGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: California
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post

U had to get a new housing?? Mines at the bottom,I'm scared if I buy the whole plenum that it's still ganna be messed up and it coulda been a simple fix and I culda just used the money for foglights
I had to get a new intake manifold.
charlie03fastGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie03fastGT

I had to get a new intake manifold.
I don't see a crack anywhere it's like leaking from the bottom idk. In the pic it's that little crack that's going across the whole thing. I'm about to edit a pic
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Here's where it's seeping. Also it seems to be shooting out on the backside of the housing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-531333507.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	87859  
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
The inner wall of the intake manifold flange, between the thermostat housing and the head, has deteriorated allowing the formed gasket to pop out into the coolant passage--is it exactly what happened on my '03 and many other GTs as they near/pass 100k miles:



A new intake manifold is the easy fix, but NOT the Dorman manifold sold by the FLAPS--get the FRPP unit.

I ordered the FRPP replacement but got antsy and repaired mine with JB-Weld by separating the crossover and manifold, scraping it down to solid plastic, degreasing and then re-assembling with no gaskets and JB-Weld:



It has been fine for 35k miles now, and will of course never fail now that I have the new one in the attic...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
The inner wall of the intake manifold flange, between the thermostat housing and the head, has deteriorated allowing the formed gasket to pop out into the coolant passage--is it exactly what happened on my '03 and many other GTs as they near/pass 100k miles:

A new intake manifold is the easy fix, but NOT the Dorman manifold sold by the FLAPS--get the FRPP unit.

I ordered the FRPP replacement but got antsy and repaired mine with JB-Weld by separating the crossover and manifold, scraping it down to solid plastic, degreasing and then re-assembling with no gaskets and JB-Weld:

It has been fine for 35k miles now, and will of course never fail now that I have the new one in the attic...
Yea I'm at 108 miles now. Oh well. Ima order the intake manifold off of American muscle. Thanks for the help guys!!
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Yea I'm at 108 miles now. Oh well. Ima order the intake manifold off of American muscle. Thanks for the help guys!!
It's only $189.95 at Jegs...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
Is the shipping free though??? And is it the same thing?
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
MineralGrayGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Wyoming
Posts: 133
Could a cracked manifold cause a hissing sound? Cause my car hisses at idle super loud but nothing at acceleration or if i rev up the motor even just a little
MineralGrayGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGrayGT
Could a cracked manifold cause a hissing sound? Cause my car hisses at idle super loud but nothing at acceleration or if i rev up the motor even just a little
Mine hisses when i first crank it but then I stops after a minute or so. Only on a cold start in the mornings.
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
jjsg09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGrayGT View Post
Could a cracked manifold cause a hissing sound? Cause my car hisses at idle super loud but nothing at acceleration or if i rev up the motor even just a little
Yes! Try spraying some throttle cleaner around the intake manifold where the hiss is coming from while the car is at idle to see if your rpms go up. If it does then yes it's probably a cracked manifold. If not check vacuum hoses.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Is the shipping free though??? And is it the same thing?
It is the same manifold, they were $169 1-1/2 years ago. I do not know if the shipping is free, easy enough to find out...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk

It is the same manifold, they were $169 1-1/2 years ago. I do not know if the shipping is free, easy enough to find out...
Lol yes.. Thank your for your help
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mfore33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Murfreesboro
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 540
My manifold broke at the heater core feed line at the nipple on the left rear of the manifold. Damn ford for their plastic *** intake. I bought my 2000 gt off the showroom floor for around 17500. A few hundred more for a metal intake would not have made any differance to me. But It would have saved me money later. It's an engineering failure that ford should have recalled. Greedy sobs
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
I agree that it's a PITA when it happens, however a $250 repair on an (in my case) 8 year-old automobile is not something one should find to be all that unusual. That works out to a whopping $31.25 per year.

Or in terms most men can understand, about 1/2 of a pony keg of Budweiser...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
How much do you think they will want for them to replace it????
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
How much do you think they will want for them to replace it????
I do not know, it depends on who "they" are. It is a simple task, here is the shop manual description of the procedure.

One note: You do not actually have to break the fuel line connection. Either use wire ties to fasten the injectors to the fuel rail, or "be careful" and lift the fuel rails and injectors off the manifold and place them to the side (tie them off to the side with cord if needed):

__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk

I do not know, it depends on who "they" are. It is a simple task, here is the shop manual description of the procedure.

One note: You do not actually have to break the fuel line connection. Either use wire ties to fasten the injectors to the fuel rail, or "be careful" and lift the fuel rails and injectors off the manifold and place them to the side (tie them off to the side with cord if needed):
Would $185 be to much? A guy quoted me on that today
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Would $185 be to much? A guy quoted me on that today
I would not do it for any less than that. It's $50 for doing it and $135 for having the tools, space, and knowing how to do it..
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk

I would not do it for any less than that...
Okay thank you! I'm scared to do it myself bc ill mess something up
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 2,587
Would it be okay to drive it back and forth to school? It's not like pouring out antifreeze it's just Leaking a bit. My father says it will be okay but I am scared to
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Would it be okay to drive it back and forth to school? It's not like pouring out antifreeze it's just Leaking a bit. My father says it will be okay but I am scared to
I drove mine for a couple months while is was "weeping" coolant, fixed it when I got the ambition...
__________________
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum, Delta Force tuned,
Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel, RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
etc1006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
Would it be okay to drive it back and forth to school? It's not like pouring out antifreeze it's just Leaking a bit. My father says it will be okay but I am scared to
It depends really... My stepfather has a Towncar with the 4.6 and he had a very slight weep for quite awhile, til one night he was out and it popped.... And the damn fuel pump went at the same time... THAT was weird...
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:24 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.