Wondering about cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Wondering about cams

I was wondering what i would have to do to get that low idle glug glug sound haha. Do i just need cams,springs,and a tune to lower the idle? And is it reliable and is gas mileage crap after it?
Warbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've been looking into cams too for quite sometime now. I have found that CMS and Hitech cams are good hp gains and sound for 2v Mustangs. CMS stage 1 says doesn't need springs and Hitech says up to stage 2 can work on stock springs as long as you don't go above 6400rpms. I hear a lot of complaints about comp cams on other forums and mainly good reviews on the two brands I've listed. I'm leaning more towards CMS stage 1 for just being safe.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
I've been looking into cams too for quite sometime now. I have found that CMS and Hitech cams are good hp gains and sound for 2v Mustangs. CMS stage 1 says doesn't need springs and Hitech says up to stage 2 can work on stock springs as long as you don't go above 6400rpms. I hear a lot of complaints about comp cams on other forums and mainly good reviews on the two brands I've listed. I'm leaning more towards CMS stage 1 for just being safe.
Do you think cms stage 2's would be reliable? I want the low loping idle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You'll get a great lope from stage 2 cams. I've got comps with no problems at all. For the sake of it you might as well change the springs while your in there working. I'd hate to see you snap a spring cause you go over the recommended rpm on stock springs. You'll also need to check piston to valve clearances to make sure your not smacking the pistons with the valves. As for tuning, get it done asap, but I have yet to tune mine (lack of time) and it runs fine. The one time i tried to get it tuned i was missing a iat sensor on my lightning maf so it was impossible to tune. Here and there it has issues at idle but it drinks gas like water. I think I've average about 11 mpg on 2 tanks of gas in town and interstate it got 24 mpg. I'd suggest do everything other bolt on first before you step into cams. They are the first big step into a major mod.
t0t4lbl4ck0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I run comp XE270ah with no problems. I also upgraded the springs. My car has been daily driven when its not raining outside since I got my new engine installed.
Mzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post

Do you think cms stage 2's would be reliable? I want the low loping idle
You should look up some videos on different cams. Might be useful. Heh, look up a stage 4 cam and let's see what you think. :p
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't bashing the comp cams just the more I read other forums the more people say they have piston to valve issues even when they degreed them and installed springs. I'm more of a street driving guy now ( having kids changed that ) and lots of people seem to glorify the Hitech stage 2 cams. Read many threads that it can easily place a bolt on GT to 300hp at the wheels with stock heads. Also many people say this is a very expensive mod and not enough hp gain for the money. Also upgraded gears is a must for newer cams.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So you have to get new gears? And would i have to pull the head to replace the springs? And yeah i was thinking the hi tech stage 2's im 21 and this is my only car so its gotta be a dd.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbot View Post
So you have to get new gears? And would i have to pull the head to replace the springs? And yeah i was thinking the hi tech stage 2's im 21 and this is my only car so its gotta be a dd.
According to what set up you go with you might need new cam gears that allow u to degree cams, also if you have windsor heads your cam gears are pressed on instead on the romeo heads they are bolted on. If they are pressed on you need cam gears for the new cams. You dont have to take the heads off to change the springs. Here's a good vid.

This is why I dont want cams that make me change out the springs. Its a pain to do. So here is this video I knw its a newer 4.6 but same concept.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the help and input guys helps a lot, thinkin now lol i might go with some stage 1's sound easier without springs and sound good still
Old 01-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yea changing the springs was a pain in the ***. Not really hard just irritating when you got to the valves by the firewall.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

My worry about changing springs out is using the air tool to keep the valve up you have to screw it into your spark plug hole and the pi heads dont have too great of a reputation on the threads in the spark plug holes. Im afraid of using that tool just because of wearing out those threads.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Nah you'll be fine. I have yet to blow a plug

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT