Flowmaster question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Flowmaster question

I'm thinking about getting the flowmaster American thunder cat back w bbk longtime headers and a bbk shorty h pipe. I've watched a bunch of sound bites online of exhaust and found I'm a huge fan of the deep muscle car growl. My question is....the cat back I want comes w the super 40's mufflers and I was wondering if there would b a big difference If I got the flowmaster series 10's. If anyone has this setup or mufflers please show videos. I was also wondering if anyone knows if with American muscle can u swap the mufflers out in ur order and just pay the difference or do u have to buy them separate and b stuck w two sets of mufflers?
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212 View Post
I'm thinking about getting the flowmaster American thunder cat back w bbk longtime headers and a bbk shorty h pipe. I've watched a bunch of sound bites online of exhaust and found I'm a huge fan of the deep muscle car growl. My question is....the cat back I want comes w the super 40's mufflers and I was wondering if there would b a big difference If I got the flowmaster series 10's. If anyone has this setup or mufflers please show videos. I was also wondering if anyone knows if with American muscle can u swap the mufflers out in ur order and just pay the difference or do u have to buy them separate and b stuck w two sets of mufflers?
Just youtube the 10's lol and just give AM a shout I'm sure they can work something out for you
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Lol worst advice ever...I wanted opinions not directions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Haha ok dude

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

The 10's will be louder...
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426
Haha ok dude

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

The 10's will be louder...
Much better lol
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
OP,

The Flowmaster 10 series will be a LOT louder and carry more rasp than the 40's. Just be aware of that before you make any purchases. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but different customers have different opinions on exhaust, so just a heads up.

Unfortunately, we can't split up for Flowmaster 40 catback. It's delivered to us in a boxed package, so we're unable to alter them. However, we do carry the Flowmaster 10 series mufflers separately and you could sell the 40's when they arrive.

On top of that, hit me up via PM if you haven't received the AM forum discount code, yet. It's for active users with 50+ posts to use as an appreciation for building the Mustang Community and the forum!

Almost forgot- You will need to weld some extra piping in to make the 10 series fit where the 40's once were. The 10 series is about half as long as the 40's, so you will come up short, unless extra pipe is welded in. This should be very simple for any exhaust shop though!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
OP,

The Flowmaster 10 series will be a LOT louder and carry more rasp than the 40's. Just be aware of that before you make any purchases. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but different customers have different opinions on exhaust, so just a heads up.

Unfortunately, we can't split up for Flowmaster 40 catback. It's delivered to us in a boxed package, so we're unable to alter them. However, we do carry the Flowmaster 10 series mufflers separately and you could sell the 40's when they arrive.

On top of that, hit me up via PM if you haven't received the AM forum discount code, yet. It's for active users with 50+ posts to use as an appreciation for building the Mustang Community and the forum!

Almost forgot- You will need to weld some extra piping in to make the 10 series fit where the 40's once were. The 10 series is about half as long as the 40's, so you will come up short, unless extra pipe is welded in. This should be very simple for any exhaust shop though!

Shane
Right on thanks for the help Shane
Old 01-31-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
The 10 series sound much better.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the 10 with bbk off/road and bbk long tubes no cats and I love it's super loud and it is raspy as hell but I like it lI would like it to be a little deeper but everyone the hears it says it sounds like a monster and people say they can hear me coming from 2 blocks away

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grim reaper View Post
I have the 10 with bbk off/road and bbk long tubes no cats and I love it's super loud and it is raspy as hell but I like it lI would like it to be a little deeper but everyone the hears it says it sounds like a monster and people say they can hear me coming from 2 blocks away
*Offload x pipe also have 4 in tips that are 14in long I think it gives it a diffrent sound with the big tip

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

All yea any one in Columbus or near Columbus I know a muffler shop that will do whatever u want some places won't remove your cats and stuff like
The grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I typically went with the Mac Cat Back with BBK O/R X pipe and BBK Long Tubes.. All from AM btw. I'd go with the X Pipe over the H Pipe it seems to even out the sound a lot more. Atleast thats my opinion. If you'd like to hear the X Pipe I can take a video and send it to you VIA email.

Also, I had a flowmasters on before my Mac, since I live in New Jersey it fell apart fairly quickly. I don't know if you use your car as a daily driver though and where you live.
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If you want to make power go with any muffler but flowmaster, if all you care about is sound than go with flowmaster... Personally I care about power so no flows for me
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grim reaper

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

*Offload x pipe also have 4 in tips that are 14in long I think it gives it a diffrent sound with the big tip

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

All yea any one in Columbus or near Columbus I know a muffler shop that will do whatever u want some places won't remove your cats and stuff like
I'm more of a fan of the deep growl tone than the raspy sound. Is there another muffler from flowmaster that's better than the 40's? I do like that the tens r loud tho.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrarunnin9s
If you want to make power go with any muffler but flowmaster, if all you care about is sound than go with flowmaster... Personally I care about power so no flows for me
So there's actually a noticeable difference in performance between flowmaster and other brands?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I'm more of a fan of the deep growl tone than the raspy sound. Is there another muffler from flowmaster that's better than the 40's? I do like that the tens r loud tho.

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

So there's actually a noticeable difference in performance between flowmaster and other brands?
Yes flowmasters actually hinder airflow to create there sounds. I had flowmaster original 40's and I got a muffler delete and I could feel just slightly that it pulled better after getting rid of the flows
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB227

Yes flowmasters actually hinder airflow to create there sounds. I had flowmaster original 40's and I got a muffler delete and I could feel just slightly that it pulled better after getting rid of the flows
Damn well that changes everything lol. I finally felt like I narrowed down my search.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Go for borla If u want great low sound + performance and searching for a new route, quite spendy but its a great set up I've heard on other mustangs
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I'm more of a fan of the deep growl tone than the raspy sound. Is there another muffler from flowmaster that's better than the 40's? I do like that the tens r loud tho.[COLOR="Silver"]
It's not really that raspy. depends on the RPM... It has a mean sound too it with my cams.
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT