4.6 questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
4.6 questions

First off I took my car to the shop to get oil pan gasket and adapter gasket replaced fixing a leak. Also I had him check out a noise I've been hearing in the shifter area. And also have a misfire on 6&8 at idle causes by a intake manifold leak?. He heard a hitting noise in the front and it's the timing chain. I can't remember exactly he said its okay. I heard that noise before.

1. Do the 4.6 pi plastic manis have tendency of warping and causing leaks?

2. Is the misfire fine if it's just at idle? Cuz I plan to get victor jr intake/fuel rails etc. later on. And I don't want to replace a gasket and then get a new intake in a few months.

3. He said the noise in the shifter area could lead to more extensive problems. So if it's that bad and if I need to do work on the tranny will the t56 bolt straight up to my car. I have a a TR-3650 so will it bolt up easy?

4. And last, the timing area noise I'm not sure what he said but what in that area would make a hitting noise. He said it would be fine.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
All ive heard for the first question was that 99-01 Ford had a plastic manifold in the mustangs and they had a big tendincey (sp) to crack! I think the even had a recall on it. But watch for cracks too.
MineralGrayGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well mines an 03 but yeah. I think I'll try to keep it till I can get victor jr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I wouldn't worry about the noise from the tranny. Mine makes noise all the time, nothing broken or damages though. The tr3650 transmissions are known to be noisy. The best way to fix it is to put dynamat around the shifter. The noise is only heard until 2000 and fairly subtle, but still noticeable.
Xtrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
First off I took my car to the shop to get oil pan gasket and adapter gasket replaced fixing a leak. Also I had him check out a noise I've been hearing in the shifter area. And also have a misfire on 6&8 at idle causes by a intake manifold leak?. He heard a hitting noise in the front and it's the timing chain. I can't remember exactly he said its okay. I heard that noise before.

1. Do the 4.6 pi plastic manis have tendency of warping and causing leaks?

2. Is the misfire fine if it's just at idle? Cuz I plan to get victor jr intake/fuel rails etc. later on. And I don't want to replace a gasket and then get a new intake in a few months.

3. He said the noise in the shifter area could lead to more extensive problems. So if it's that bad and if I need to do work on the tranny will the t56 bolt straight up to my car. I have a a TR-3650 so will it bolt up easy?

4. And last, the timing area noise I'm not sure what he said but what in that area would make a hitting noise. He said it would be fine.
I'll try my best to answer your questions to the "best" of my ability, but further research is advised. To answer your first question, plastic manifolds have varying degrees of acceptance among enthusiasts. From an engineering standpoint (and ford's) they went with a plastic manifold for a few reasons. They're lighter weight than aluminum ones, they're completely smooth versus the casting problems of the runners of metal intakes requiring polishing if you want the best airflow, and finally, plastic intakes don't hold heat like a metal intake mani does. As for warping, I've never heard of them warping, but it is possible to crack them in certain situations. For your second question, a misfire at idle will only get worse the higher the RPM goes. This can be for a few reasons. If you're using stock plugs and coils, then at higher RPM the coils have less time to saturate due to faster firing times and less dwell time between pulses therefore sometimes not having enough power to completely discharge through the plug, or having a late or weak spark. I would consider changing plugs or possibly going with an aftermarket coil like MSD (my recomendation) as they provide solid spark all the way through the RPM range meaning that you'll have a longer top end power band (no drop off) at faster RPM. I would recomend (if you know for sure you have an intake gasket leak) that you just replace the gasket to prevent further problems. Any time you take the manifold off or swap manifolds, I always recomend using a new gasket since they aren't too expensive and they prevent problems from re-usage. I can't imagine an intake leak causing a misfire. That seems strange. I'm familiar with other problems such as uneven idle, the computer getting confused and switching up fuel/air mixture, noises, etc, but I'm unfamiliar with it causing a misfire. I guess it's not impossible though. More than likely a leaky intake letting more air in would cause a lean condition causing detonation (which is really bad). The computer would then sense the lean condition through the O2 sensors from the exhaust and increase fuel mixture to try and compensate, but then you're simply looking at a normal run cycle or possibly a rich condition. My question would be, do you run rich at all? This would be an indication that you do have a misfire which could supposedly be caused by an intake leak, but it would probably have to be a severe leak meaning you mind as well get a new gasket lol. For your third question, yes a T56 should bolt right up. Just make sure if you get one that you specify whether it's for a GT and not a cobra as I'm not sure if the bolt patterns on the blocks are the same or not. I imagine they would be, but I could be wrong. Typically I worry about any noise from a tranny other than reverse gear, but some trannys do have gear whine, although they shouldn't if they're stock and have never had work or had internals swapped. If you've taken care of the maintenance on your car, including the tranny, than any noise means something is probably wearing out. Hopefully, it isn't too serious and won't be expensive, but it depends on the problem. Ignoring it will only let it get worse, and this could cause even more problems. I would suggest finding out exactly what the noise is and debating fixing it or swapping for a T56. If it's coming from the shifter area, it could just be sincro's going out. Do you ever have shifting problems? I suppose it could be linkage as well, but I would need you to be more descriptive. The same goes for your 4th question. I would need a better description, but timing chains shouldn't be making noises either. I hope this helps. Lemme know if I can help further. Take care man.
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Could be the tensioner on the timing chain
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
I wouldn't worry about the noise from the tranny. Mine makes noise all the time, nothing broken or damages though. The tr3650 transmissions are known to be noisy. The best way to fix it is to put dynamat around the shifter. The noise is only heard until 2000 and fairly subtle, but still noticeable.
Yes mine makes the whining noise too. But it makes another different noise too.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post
I'll try my best to answer your questions to the "best" of my ability, but further research is advised. To answer your first question, plastic manifolds have varying degrees of acceptance among enthusiasts. From an engineering standpoint (and ford's) they went with a plastic manifold for a few reasons. They're lighter weight than aluminum ones, they're completely smooth versus the casting problems of the runners of metal intakes requiring polishing if you want the best airflow, and finally, plastic intakes don't hold heat like a metal intake mani does. As for warping, I've never heard of them warping, but it is possible to crack them in certain situations. For your second question, a misfire at idle will only get worse the higher the RPM goes. This can be for a few reasons. If you're using stock plugs and coils, then at higher RPM the coils have less time to saturate due to faster firing times and less dwell time between pulses therefore sometimes not having enough power to completely discharge through the plug, or having a late or weak spark. I would consider changing plugs or possibly going with an aftermarket coil like MSD (my recomendation) as they provide solid spark all the way through the RPM range meaning that you'll have a longer top end power band (no drop off) at faster RPM. I would recomend (if you know for sure you have an intake gasket leak) that you just replace the gasket to prevent further problems. Any time you take the manifold off or swap manifolds, I always recomend using a new gasket since they aren't too expensive and they prevent problems from re-usage. I can't imagine an intake leak causing a misfire. That seems strange. I'm familiar with other problems such as uneven idle, the computer getting confused and switching up fuel/air mixture, noises, etc, but I'm unfamiliar with it causing a misfire. I guess it's not impossible though. More than likely a leaky intake letting more air in would cause a lean condition causing detonation (which is really bad). The computer would then sense the lean condition through the O2 sensors from the exhaust and increase fuel mixture to try and compensate, but then you're simply looking at a normal run cycle or possibly a rich condition. My question would be, do you run rich at all? This would be an indication that you do have a misfire which could supposedly be caused by an intake leak, but it would probably have to be a severe leak meaning you mind as well get a new gasket lol. For your third question, yes a T56 should bolt right up. Just make sure if you get one that you specify whether it's for a GT and not a cobra as I'm not sure if the bolt patterns on the blocks are the same or not. I imagine they would be, but I could be wrong. Typically I worry about any noise from a tranny other than reverse gear, but some trannys do have gear whine, although they shouldn't if they're stock and have never had work or had internals swapped. If you've taken care of the maintenance on your car, including the tranny, than any noise means something is probably wearing out. Hopefully, it isn't too serious and won't be expensive, but it depends on the problem. Ignoring it will only let it get worse, and this could cause even more problems. I would suggest finding out exactly what the noise is and debating fixing it or swapping for a T56. If it's coming from the shifter area, it could just be sincro's going out. Do you ever have shifting problems? I suppose it could be linkage as well, but I would need you to be more descriptive. The same goes for your 4th question. I would need a better description, but timing chains shouldn't be making noises either. I hope this helps. Lemme know if I can help further. Take care man.
Well I am changing my spark plugs this weekend, so hopefully that fixes the misfire.

The intake problem, how hard is it to change gaskets cuz i might take the mani off and see if its cracked, then change the gasket. Is it very hard?

Tranny, the shifter has always had a whine its pro5.0 short throw, those are known to be whiney. But the other noise is a chirpy hit noise, i have no problems getting into any gear or out. it just makes the chirp hit noise. it just started a week ago.

And the timing chian noise thing i will have to get a better description from him, I'll let you know when i get it.

thanks NoStangNewb

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
I can't remember that may be it, would the be an easy fix or is it fine now.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Could the noise be the throw out bearing? Seems like a really common problem. I know mine self destructed a couple months ago.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

That was my first thought. But idk what it sounds like.

And I cleaned my throttle body about two weeks ago. Maybe that's causing a leak ill check it all out and order gaskets tonight

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Okay so talked to the shop just a bit ago. He said changing the plugs wouldn't help the misfire and that the intake is causing it. I misunderstood him when he said the intake mani warped. He meant the gasket is on metal and the mani is plastic and over time the rubber on the gasket can only make it sealed for so long. So I'm ordering gaskets in a bit.

The tranny update. On the way home I listened for it. I pulled it out of gear going 60 and coasted it was making the chirp hit noise in neutral while cruising I hear it a lot more when I drive over ruff parts of the road. Then brake easy to a stop and the rpms were above 1k so at around 1200-1300 and it was kinda making it at a stop. Then I got home and it didn't do it at a stop.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm a TOB would make noise all the time. I'm not too sure. Maybe someone with more experience could help. I hope it gets fixed and Good luck.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Those are a PITA

Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
TOB are known to make some noise. Also the plastic manifolds from 96-2001 are known to leak. I had the same problem with mine and bought metal one and never started leaking since.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I'd like to find out for sure that it's the tob so i don't waste time and money. The intake ill just get gaskets after I change the plugs. Does anyone know if it's hard to change the intake mani gaskets?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No, it's not hard. Recommend you have experience though. You might want help your first time
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I should probably take it to the shop then lol I'd rather do it myself though.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I should probably take it to the shop then lol I'd rather do it myself though.
It's not that awful, I just did one over the week. The fuel rails and the brackets are a pain. But once you take them off the first time and see how they come off its quite easy. Just time consuming.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I've taken mine off a bunch of times through the years. Just label the bolts where they go and take some pics as you do it! Its not hard at All. I did it without any experience taking apart things on an engine and it went smooth.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
X1000 my tensioner on my f150 went and allowed the chain to slap the timing cover, sounded like a rod knock, and that can cause damage to the internals due to aluminum falling in the oil.

A t-56 will bold right up

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

X1000 my tensioner on my f150 went and allowed the chain to slap the timing cover, sounded like a rod knock, and that can cause damage to the internals due to aluminum falling in the oil.

A t-56 will bold right up
It's not a loud noise though. And t56 will bolt straight up right off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT