Short Throw Shifter Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Short Throw Shifter Questions

Before you all groan and Shout, "Use the search button!" i already did. I have read some of the threads and done a little research and here are my questions. I am new to manual transmissions. Very new. Like, just started today, new. I noticed that i'm having a real hard time shifting from 2nd to 3rd, i hit it 70% of the time i'd say. But my dad whom has driven quite a few manual cars in his day, has the same problem with hitting 3rd. My questions are A) is this pretty common on these cars to skip right over 3rd and into 5th? My car has the stock shifter in it, and i've been reading that they're not so great and it's wise to upgrade. Would a short throw shifter make it a little easier to hit all the gears?

My second question. The car came with what appears to be a Used steeda Tri Axe shifter. I've read that MGW makes pretty much the best one you can buy. So Should i Buy an MGW shifter? Or install the one i have. I'm not exactly sure why they went from the tri axe shifter back to the stock shifter so that in itself might be a red flag. But i want to know from you experienced guys. Lets hear what you think Fellas.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
You should upgrade it regardless. And buy a new one completely. There is prbly a problem with the one. I have a b&m with MGW gripper knob. Made a huh difference. I don't ever miss gears.
Defying_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man, that's the only logical reason i could think of that he would put the stock one back on. I do wan't to upgrade it, they're relatively cheap. But even though it's a very simple install, i'm going to have someone else replace it. Because i do not trust myself at all, which is why i'm trying to gather a group of opinions on MGW vs Steeda Tri Axe to make sure it's actually worth it. LOL i mean, i'm as nooby as nooby gets, so i'm not entirely sure if it's just because i blow at shifting properly, or if a short throw shifter will in fact help me hit each and every gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Well I'm sure it's probably a little bit of both. I'd just drive it more and see if you get better. But a short shifter is always going to help you get every gear.
Defying_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2-3 is tricky but give it a week and it won't be an issue. Personally i love the tri ax shifter. If it is in good shape I would install it immediately. No doubt. If you don't love it you can always get the mgw. . Further, as long as there is no metal glazing off or bent (don't see how it could bend) you can't go wrong with installing the shifter. It will either work great or won't engage. Either way, for the money a mgw will set you back, it won't hurt. They probably removed it for resale. A lot of people think a stiff shifting trans is a bad sign in a test drive so they put the mixing bowl shifter back in.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I am definitely getting better with the shifts, i'll probably wait until i'm a bit more used to it to see how much of it is driver error, and how much is the shifter. I know it can't be ALL me, because my dad has driven manuals for 40+ years i'd say, and he too is having trouble with it.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If u change shifter it may be wise to change fluid too.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
2-3 is tricky but give it a week and it won't be an issue. Personally i love the tri ax shifter. If it is in good shape I would install it immediately. No doubt. If you don't love it you can always get the mgw. . Further, as long as there is no metal glazing off or bent (don't see how it could bend) you can't go wrong with installing the shifter. It will either work great or won't engage. Either way, for the money a mgw will set you back, it won't hurt. They probably removed it for resale. A lot of people think a stiff shifting trans is a bad sign in a test drive so they put the mixing bowl shifter back in.
Bahahahahahahahhaha Mixing bowl shifter lmao!!!

MGW is f'in awesome...best money spent yet.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT

Bahahahahahahahhaha Mixing bowl shifter lmao!!!

MGW is f'in awesome...best money spent yet.
Mgw is a different shift to the tri ax. It's not as notchy or positive in engagement. It is a little easier to use though. I get why people love the mgw, but I'll take the tri ax every time. Just love that trigger feeling of nailing a shift. For the op, try the steeda shifter. All itl cost is 25c in gasket maker and 30 mins of your time. The mgw is a good shifter but free vs new is a no brainer to me. Changing the fluid is always a good idea. And changing it with the shifter out is so much easier. Otherwise you need a pump.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

Mgw is a different shift to the tri ax. It's not as notchy or positive in engagement. It is a little easier to use though. I get why people love the mgw, but I'll take the tri ax every time. Just love that trigger feeling of nailing a shift. For the op, try the steeda shifter. All itl cost is 25c in gasket maker and 30 mins of your time. The mgw is a good shifter but free vs new is a no brainer to me. Changing the fluid is always a good idea. And changing it with the shifter out is so much easier. Otherwise you need a pump.
Everything he said
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

What i'm looking for is a smoother shift, something that doesn't feel so sloppy. Heres my problem, i have no idea which shifter does what. I just assume each shifter has a different feel. I'm sure ANYTHING would feel better at this point.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Install the tri ax shifter. It's a hour long job for your first time. Really easy to do. The shift action isn't what I would call much easier in effort, but it is more definite or 'positive' when shifting. Ie, you know exactly where every gear is and know exactly when you hit it perfectly. The effort to shift is about the same but the throw is much shorter. To install,
unscrew the knob.
pull up on the plastic surrounding the shifter.
Unclipped the harness for the 12v outlet.
Unscrew the 4 bolts retaining the rubber boot thing. Take it off the shifter.
Then undo the 4 bolts mounting the shifter to the trans.
Pull the shifter back towards you to loosen the gasket. Then side to side. You will need some muscle to get it off and possibly some leverage to pull it off. My first car was really easy. Second was a total pain in the Butt.
Clean the mounting surface really well. Like shiny and spotless.
Transfer the little plastic bushing from the ball of the old shifter to the new one. (sometimes it stays in the trans so nbd. It will snap in when you install.
Put a bead of rtv black silicone gasket maker on the mounting surface and put the new shifter on. Might take a little effort to snap into place.
Install the 4 bolts and run it through all the gears to ensure proper engagement.
Once happy slip the shifter boot thing back in and screw it back together.
Decide if you want the handle in low or high positions. (you might think higher but in a week you'll change it to the low setting.)
Tighten handle bolts with lock tight.
Clip the 12v back in and clip the shifter surround back in. Enjoy!

If your still having issues With the 2-3 shift you may have a bent fork.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's a really good write up I really appreciate it. On AM I see they have some sort of shifter gasket to use in place of the silicon stuff. Do you think its a better investment? Also, the steeda already has a little plastic piece on the end on the bottom end, is this what you're referring to to transfer from one shifter to another? And my last question, should I let the shifter set for a day before driving it? I might actually give this a go! Lol
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Put the Steeda in, u already have it right?

I love mine.

2nd to 3rd amooooooth
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah man, i've got the shifter. Thinking that i might actually put it in myself. I'm somewhat getting the hang of it, drove it around for awhile today, didn't miss 3rd at all. So i'm thinking it's mostly driver Error. But i still think i'll install it, because this one just feels sloppy. I'm going to have ALOT of questions on this car, first Stick and first V8. Plus slight mods on the car, which i'm not too experienced with. Thanks to everyone who gave input, and thanks a ton to DaBlueDude for that write up. Feel free to continue placing your votes on your favorite Short throw shifter guys
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Check out TSB 04-15-6 which describes 2-3 shifting problems, and recommends that the transmission only 3.0 L of fluid, rather than the 3.8 L recommended in the owner's manual. Then change the tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF which I and others have found to perform best in the 3650.

It was found that the 3.8 L fill caused hydro-locking of the shift rods and detents causing the
2-3 shifting issues...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6
That's a really good write up I really appreciate it. On AM I see they have some sort of shifter gasket to use in place of the silicon stuff. Do you think its a better investment? Also, the steeda already has a little plastic piece on the end on the bottom end, is this what you're referring to to transfer from one shifter to another? And my last question, should I let the shifter set for a day before driving it? I might actually give this a go! Lol
If the little black plastic piece is already on the steeda shifter than I bet that's the cause of your shifting issues!!! If it's on there, that means it isn't on the stock shifter. Which means odds are you may have bent a fork! I would swap to the tri ax asap. The silicone gasket is not as good as the silicone gasket and the one I used didn't seal well and it broke down in less than a year. Not worth it at all.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well crap. How do i know if i bent a fork?

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk
Check out TSB 04-15-6 which describes 2-3 shifting problems, and recommends that the transmission only 3.0 L of fluid, rather than the 3.8 L recommended in the owner's manual. Then change the tranny fluid to Mobil 1 ATF which I and others have found to perform best in the 3650.

It was found that the 3.8 L fill caused hydro-locking of the shift rods and detents causing the
2-3 shifting issues...
This is great info man, thanks for the tips!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT