Maaco paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Maaco paint

Maaco is running a special on their premium paint, normally it is 700 but with the promo it's 300 for the whole car, I wanted to get my body repainted to freshen it up, how do you guys feel about this? I have heard bad things about them so I'm kinda getting skeched out about It
Sonicblue11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
My neighbor just had his truck painted there with there current special and it looks really good for the price
Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02PONY View Post
My neighbor just had his truck painted there with there current special and it looks really good for the price
Like is there flaws or it looks that good!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It looks good at first. Give it a year and it will start cracking and fading and will look like ****.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It looks good at first. Give it a year and it will start cracking and fading and will look like ****.
My dads BMW was painted by them over 5 years ago. There are chips from driving but no cracking or fading. Take care of the paint and it should do good. May not last 10-15 years but its only $300? What do you expect? If a 3000 paint job on a every day driver last 10 years and a $300 paint job last 5 years you could paint it twice and save 400$....

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post
My dads BMW was painted by them over 5 years ago. There are chips from driving but no cracking or fading. Take care of the paint and it should do good. May not last 10-15 years but its only $300? What do you expect? If a 3000 paint job on a every day driver last 10 years and a $300 paint job last 5 years you could paint it twice and save 400$....
I guess it does depend mostly on the person doing the work... Just gotta make sure they take their time and don't cut any corners.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I guess it does depend mostly on the person doing the work... Just gotta make sure they take their time and don't cut any corners.
I agree, it's all about the Paint and body person, if they are not very good it doesn't matter where you go or who you pay. #Factsdontlie
Jedimindtricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicblue11 View Post
Maaco is running a special on their premium paint, normally it is 700 but with the promo it's 300 for the whole car, I wanted to get my body repainted to freshen it up, how do you guys feel about this? I have heard bad things about them so I'm kinda getting skeched out about It
I got my car painted from Maaco last month actually. Charged me $1100. It seems cheap because I work with a dealership that works with that Maaco and gave me a huge discount. I saw there work first before anything. Overall I was very satisfied with my car. No chips or cracks. I wish I got it in the spring though cause salt is all over the roads here ): and I can never wash my car.
jleber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
$300 that's if they don't have to do any extra work. If u have dents or deep scratches it'll prob be more. Just make sure you read the fine print.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
$300 that's if they don't have to do any extra work. If u have dents or deep scratches it'll prob be more. Just make sure you read the fine print.
Yeah I know, I have no deep scratches or dents
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I just want to take advantage of the deal they have
Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Does that price include them sanding the old paint, painting the car, clear coat, and then buffing? If its just straight enamel paint over existing paint it won't last very long and if no clear coat you better always wax your car and keep it out of harsh weather and store it well.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Does that price include them sanding the old paint, painting the car, clear coat, and then buffing? If its just straight enamel paint over existing paint it won't last very long and if no clear coat you better always wax your car and keep it out of harsh weather and store it well.
For $300 that can't include to much prep time. But I don't see them painting and it not lasting. That be bad business and they have pretty good rep. So I don't know what to think or expect lol.

OP post pics if u go thru with it.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I would ask what there process is in doing that kind of job. I've painted a car before and just the product and paint alone was $600. So I don't know how they are making a profit. But do some research and ask them what brand of paint they use. Ask if they clear coat it for that price and buff the clear coat. If they don't I would pay the extra money now to have that done.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
MAACO or at least here has 3-4 paint options there top of the line paint which is supposed to be equivalent to a factory finish is the same as everywhere else if not more expensive.

They offer the low paint price in hopes to upsell you. MAACO isn't horrible, I just find they're no cheaper than anyone else and do the same quality work.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The tape job will absolutely SUCK!!!

Do the prep work yourself as far as removing everything you can. Trim, lights and all of that.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I got a 300 paint job a few years back on 1 of my older cars they also charge another 150 for the prep work and wet sanding that is not included in the price just an FYI. For the price its very decent work though
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I would ask what there process is in doing that kind of job. I've painted a car before and just the product and paint alone was $600. So I don't know how they are making a profit. But do some research and ask them what brand of paint they use. Ask if they clear coat it for that price and buff the clear coat. If they don't I would pay the extra money now to have that done.
Remember, you were also painting 1 car. They paint tens of thousands at thousands of locations and its probably with their "house" paint that they make at their factory. So in all actuality the paint probably cost them 10-20$ to paint a car...

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MAACO is a purely franchise operation, with MAACO corporate providing marketing services and bulk purchase supplies to the individually owned franchise shops, and perhaps some rudimentary direction/training--I.e. the quality of their work is completely determined by the standards of the franchise owner and the people he/she hire to actually do the work.

Over the years I have seen some very good work done by MAACO shops, a lot of nice to "not bad for the price" work, and some OMG/WTF/LOL downright crap.

Preparation is the key to any paint job, do as much of it as you can yourself--they will generally do an OK to downright shoddy job of masking, sanding, etc. Do not expect them to remove things that can and should (light housings, scoops like our hood scoops, custom fuel doors, etc) be removed prior to shooting the car.

Also they will not lift and support rubber trim strips with string so that the paint goes under them, they will a particularly poor job of masking badges. Make it very clear right up front that you will not pay them if the wheels, tires, wheel wells or engine have over-spray on them (they will not unless specifically told seal around the hood when they shoot the paint). Same goes true for the radiator /condenser coil--they will shoot right through the bumper painting those in the process...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I have decided to wait for the paint job, I'm just going to put the money into my motor build
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Good call
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine painted at maaco. But don't ever do it! I went for the cheap prices and they ended up having the car three times to get it to where I was satisfied. It wasn't worth the money I saved and there are still places that bother me even though no one else knows they are there
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyNelson View Post
I got mine painted at maaco. But don't ever do it! I went for the cheap prices and they ended up having the car three times to get it to where I was satisfied. It wasn't worth the money I saved and there are still places that bother me even though no one else knows they are there
What if I do the prep work? and Tape of headlights and taillights and such? I'd be prepping the whole body.
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

On mine, the prep wasn't really the issue. They didnt tact rag the car and had dirty filters in the booth so I got dust all over the car. Looked like it was painted in a sand storm. Made em redo it, second time was slightly better but not much. Told them I wanted my money back or we would have to pursue further actions and they did it the third time. It came out 1000 times better but still not the best quality I've ever seen. In their defense if I would have received the final product the first time I would have been very happy at the results for what I paid them. There is no orange peal and the paint buff and polished out to a mirror shine! You just have some specs in it when you get close. But I went to one indoor show already and no one mentioned it all day long
CodyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post
What if I do the prep work? and Tape of headlights and taillights and such? I'd be prepping the whole body.
It all depends on the shop. Look at the cars they are working on, stop by there several times over a few weeks and look at some of their finished projects.

To make it look less like a cheap repaint when it's done--which destroys a car's value to anyone but a 16-year old kid--don't mask things like the headlights, taillights, badges, etc. Remove them, and anything else that can be removed, in the MAACO parking lot if you have to.

We did all of the above, including wet sanding, on my wife's '96 RAV 4 some years back and had the local MAACO shop shoot it with their cheapest clear coat package (don't remember what it was called) and it came out looking very nice. There was a sizeable run on the rear hatch, however it was covered by the spare tire so I did not make a stink. There was a bit of orange peel in the clear coat on the top toward the left rear also, but after the paint cured it buffed out so as to not be seen unless you knew it had been there.

They seemed sort of ticked off that we took off all the lights and stuff in their lot, but that was tough shìt as far as I was concerned...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
It all depends on the shop. Look at the cars they are working on, stop by there several times over a few weeks and look at some of their finished projects.

To make it look less like a cheap repaint when it's done--which destroys a car's value to anyone but a 16-year old kid--don't mask things like the headlights, taillights, badges, etc. Remove them, and anything else that can be removed, in the MAACO parking lot if you have to.

We did all of the above, including wet sanding, on my wife's '96 RAV 4 some years back and had the local MAACO shop shoot it with their cheapest clear coat package (don't remember what it was called) and it came out looking very nice. There was a sizeable run on the rear hatch, however it was covered by the spare tire so I did not make a stink. There was a bit of orange peel in the clear coat on the top toward the left rear also, but after the paint cured it buffed out so as to not be seen unless you knew it had been there.

They seemed sort of ticked off that we took off all the lights and stuff in their lot, but that was tough shìt as far as I was concerned...
How can they get ticked off about that? Your concerend for the value of your car. Your paying them to do an express service so if anything your helping THEM improve the quality of there job and make THEM look better. I'll have to remove everything. For the better, Rather be safe than sorry.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How can they get ticked off about that?
Because they were being jerks?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Because they were being jerks?
Obviously haha, But just no reason at all? And where was this located. The one I went locally the guy was really cocky and was just really trying to upsell for the best one, In which case I can go to my buddy and get a better job for the same price.. But they kind of persuade you that get the top grade other wise it will look liek garbage.. And by then, it cost more than to go to a legit body shop. As far as the rep there, he was downright ignorant and just wanted to make his time quick and painful saying well, we'll do it but if you get the 700$ package, it's going to look like garbage..
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Obviously haha, But just no reason at all? And where was this located. The one I went locally the guy was really cocky and was just really trying to upsell for the best one, In which case I can go to my buddy and get a better job for the same price.. But they kind of persuade you that get the top grade other wise it will look liek garbage.. And by then, it cost more than to go to a legit body shop. As far as the rep there, he was downright ignorant and just wanted to make his time quick and painful saying well, we'll do it but if you get the 700$ package, it's going to look like garbage..
It was here in Saint Augustine FL, out of business for a year or more now I believe.

I love the part about pushing the premium package, what does the quality of the paint have to do with the quality of the workmanship?

Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough, there are good and damned good MAACO shops out there--few and far between, but they are there--do your homework and find a good one (or at least a better one), do the prep work yourself, and things can come out OK.

My wife's RAV 4 came out looking good and it was a colour change (I did the door jams, etc. with a Duplicolor rattle-can)...

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think its ok to take a bumper or hood to macco and get good job regardless. Im talking just take the part not the car.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was here in Saint Augustine FL, out of business for a year or more now I believe.

I love the part about pushing the premium package, what does the quality of the paint have to do with the quality of the workmanship?

Also, and I cannot emphasize this enough, there are good and damned good MAACO shops out there--few and far between, but they are there--do your homework and find a good one (or at least a better one), do the prep work yourself, and things can come out OK.

My wife's RAV 4 came out looking good and it was a colour change (I did the door jams, etc. with a Duplicolor rattle-can)...
Haha, I feel like more people paint there own cars with rattle cans around here hahah - most of them are civics with fart cans on them though. I checked out some of there cars they did when I was there, they didn't look awful but most people didn't change the complete color of the car. Only get a refresher so it was hard to tell. One mustang was pearl black with silver metalic flake but I did see some noticable spots where they kinda didn't care about the over spray like on the windshield and side windows. The guy said "Well if you want a good paint job I'll add extra to mask everything off, and if you want no over spray it'll cost extra for me to cover up the windows and mask the better because its more time consuming"

I just laughed and walked away with my 2,200 quote from them.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Do you think its ok to take a bumper or hood to macco and get good job regardless. Im talking just take the part not the car.
Honestly, I would say no.. Expecting them to do a pain match - I doubt it'll be the same. It'll probably reflect a different color in certain lights.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly, I would say no.. Expecting them to do a pain match - I doubt it'll be the same. It'll probably reflect a different color in certain lights.
Again it depends on the shop--the MAACO shops have all they need to do a good job, including paint matching, it's just that most of them have no pride in their work.

Condemning them all is like saying all ugly girls are bad, when in fact I have known some that were very good...

Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's true.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Condemning them all is like saying all ugly girls are bad, when in fact I have known some that were very good...
I couldn't help but die laughing hysterically at this... I think I'll head over there on saturday to mess around with them to see what I can get them to gaurentee me in print and a signature- if not I'll just ask one of my buddies to do it with me.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Hey bud... That'd save you 2400$

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT