Upgrading rear axle - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

Depends on how much stronger than stock they claim them to be. Just multiply the 4600 lb-ft MOT (Maximum Output Torque) by that percentage.

I.e. if they claim 25% stronger then 4600 * 1.28 = 5888 lb-ft MOT...
Thanks for the input it really helps out , I'm gonna check it out , thanks again!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #37

Region: Indiana
Mustang 8.8 4.10 posi with 31 splin axle shafts

I have a question.. I purchased a 95 mustang Gt and bought a used POSI carrier with 4.10 gears and 31 spline axle shafts.. i received it today and looking at the markings on the carrier it came from a F150. Is this going to work with my setup? I have a buddy who is an ex mechanic who is going to help me put these in, but before i tear this thing down I want to confirm that these will fit.. I am pretty confident that the carrier with gears will fit, but my biggest concern is the axle shafts being the correct lenth. the guy who i bought them from said they were in his 94 mustang, but scared that these are not going to work. also, if they do work.. are these going to be a good set up or did i buy something that is going to be crap in my car?? Please help? I have never worked on a rear diff before and this is all greek to me!
dmann415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann415 View Post
I have a question.. I purchased a 95 mustang Gt and bought a used POSI carrier with 4.10 gears and 31 spline axle shafts.. i received it today and looking at the markings on the carrier it came from a F150. Is this going to work with my setup? I have a buddy who is an ex mechanic who is going to help me put these in, but before i tear this thing down I want to confirm that these will fit.. I am pretty confident that the carrier with gears will fit, but my biggest concern is the axle shafts being the correct lenth. the guy who i bought them from said they were in his 94 mustang, but scared that these are not going to work. also, if they do work.. are these going to be a good set up or did i buy something that is going to be crap in my car?? Please help? I have never worked on a rear diff before and this is all greek to me!
31 spline will be a good setup, I don't know about the axle length. Ask him what year they came out of on the f150 and compare axle lengths

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
My differential blew up on me today. No hard launches or anything, just going down the highway. I had a humming sound I thought was coming from the throwout bearing, drove it to work to have a gearhead buddy of mine listen to it, and didn't make it home this morning. I haven't gotten it up on stands yet to look it over very well, but barring a catastrophic failure in the case I plan on rebuilding mine.

My question is what should I go back with. My car is mostly stock, yet I do plan on bolting on some upgrades in the near future. I want to do the job right, and not have to get back into this in the future with this car.

2003 Mustang GT, cold air intake, upgraded exhaust (not sure what, I bought it this way a year ago). Most everything else I have done has been cosmetic enhancements.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I want something cost effective, yet overall reliability, and fun will win out.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinta1 View Post
My differential blew up on me today. No hard launches or anything, just going down the highway. I had a humming sound I thought was coming from the throwout bearing, drove it to work to have a gearhead buddy of mine listen to it, and didn't make it home this morning. I haven't gotten it up on stands yet to look it over very well, but barring a catastrophic failure in the case I plan on rebuilding mine.

My question is what should I go back with. My car is mostly stock, yet I do plan on bolting on some upgrades in the near future. I want to do the job right, and not have to get back into this in the future with this car.

2003 Mustang GT, cold air intake, upgraded exhaust (not sure what, I bought it this way a year ago). Most everything else I have done has been cosmetic enhancements.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I want something cost effective, yet overall reliability, and fun will win out.

Thanks
If you have to replace the parts in the rear end....just do it right. 31 spline axles and carrier...373 or 410 gears and replace all bearings/seals. Best fluid you can find. I forget what people say, redline? Something like that.

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

That is what I am hearing from everyone I talk to. AM has a gear install kit with ford racing 3.73 gears, all bearings races seals shims gaskets related hardware, and royal purple oil and friction additive. That's probably how I will go.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is what I am hearing from everyone I talk to. AM has a gear install kit with ford racing 3.73 gears, all bearings races seals shims gaskets related hardware, and royal purple oil and friction additive. That's probably how I will go.
If ur gonna pay to have them installed go ahead and get all 31 spline stuff too....save yourself some labor charges..

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 02-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I am getting the Moser 31 spline axles and ford racing track lok differential also 31 spline. Is 350 a reasonable labor charge?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am getting the Moser 31 spline axles and ford racing track lok differential also 31 spline. Is 350 a reasonable labor charge?
Yeah I was quoted more just for gear install

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry you got quoted more but glad they aren't trying to gouge me too bad. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT