overheating - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1

Region: Missouri
overheating

Hello guys hopefully somebody can help me here. Over the weekend my 2004 GT decided it doesnt like life and puked up some coolant. I looked under the hood and all i could see was it steaming from the back of the radiator. So far I have checked my oil and smelt fhe coolant to see if maybe there were any signs of a blown head gasket and both were good. I put in a new thermostat and had the same results so I removed the thermostat completely and the coolant is flowing so the water pump is still good. This has me dumb founded so im just hoping to get some help from the gurus out there. Also at the time my car puked up the coolant I lost all heat dont know if thats relevant but thought I would mention it. Thank you
1Slow04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow04GT View Post
Hello guys hopefully somebody can help me here. Over the weekend my 2004 GT decided it doesnt like life and puked up some coolant. I looked under the hood and all i could see was it steaming from the back of the radiator. So far I have checked my oil and smelt fhe coolant to see if maybe there were any signs of a blown head gasket and both were good. I put in a new thermostat and had the same results so I removed the thermostat completely and the coolant is flowing so the water pump is still good. This has me dumb founded so im just hoping to get some help from the gurus out there. Also at the time my car puked up the coolant I lost all heat dont know if thats relevant but thought I would mention it. Thank you
Did you do a leak down test? Let it dry and see if it's leaking from the heater hose going to the heater core. I had mine do that on me on my way to my Senior prom while I was wearing a white tux hahahahah. It kinda sounds like it's the heater hose. You would loose heat from that.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
From where did the coolant get puked up from. Normally on our cars the heater hose thats coming from the intake manifold likes to crack. Also you would lose heating due to losing collant since heater core uses the coolant to heat up the inside. If i were u i would try with the car cold. Fill up the reservoir and start the car with the heafer on full blast. Then while the car is running start looking for any leaks after the car gets a little hot. If its a big leak it will show right away. If not big unless under pressure it will show when normal temps and pressure in cooling system rises it should show. Keep us updated to help u find the cause of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Radiator plugged?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #5

From what I could tell it came out of the overflow. I had started the car up and let it run many time trying to find a leak and all I can see is the steam from the back of the radiator right behind the fans. I have the thermostat completely out right now so the car is staying cool since ig is always flowing but I can only go to and from work.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
ok i would start with a radiator cap first then, the cap may have failed and lets out not only pressure but coolant as well. if it keeps coming from the overflow then it may be u need another tank, but cheapest thing atm is to try a radiator cap cause they are known to fail.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Ok thank you. Would that cause the radiator to steam out the back though cuz its down by the fans where its coming from. I will try a new cap though and im putting a fail safe thermostat back in it so that will fix that problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #8

Nikkisixx the heater hose to my firewall does have a bad coupler but its just enough to get the inside of the coupler damp I did check that first because I thought the same thing. I have replaced it though thinking it might have been the culprit but had no success.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Ok so on my way home from work today the car started running rough so i checked my oil and antifreeze and the oil was clean and the antifreeze didnt smell burnt. I want to rule out the possibilty of a bad head gasket since the kit is 250 bucks and I just done a oil change not even 300 miles ago using royal purple and k&n filter. Is there any other test that I should know of.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Do u have any small black floating particles in your reservoir tank at all?
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #11

More of a brownish dirt cokor but yeah.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Flush your cooling system
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #13

Thats on my list for tomarrow after work. I hope thats all it is.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow04GT View Post
More of a brownish dirt cokor but yeah.
Yeah u need a flush bud I had to do it to my 95 a while back, I was having the same problems as your explaining this should take care of everything
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #15

Well then It sounds like im doing a flust tomarrow along with new plugs and coils. Lol thank you guys very much. Also is there a drain plug on the block or should I just drain the radiator.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #16

Thanks for the help guys! I ended up putting all new plugs and coils in my car and done a full flush and put in a fail safe thermostat. No more overheating!!! Plus I believe I found the culprit. I have coolant seeping out of my heater hose that runs from the intake to the heater core so ive rtv the piss out of it and ordered the new one at my local dealership
Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That's where my intake cracked. Be careful there. They get so brittle they can break just looking at it. But seriously my intake broke at the nipple the feeds the heater core. Plastic parts on a hot engine. The person that okyd that needs his nuts fed to him.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 AM   #18

I will defiantly be careful with it then thanks for the heads up. If it does crack then i guess thats just one more reason to get a victor jr lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT