Help! 4.6l swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help! 4.6l swap

Ok guys at 182,000 my mustang has been diagnosed with a spun rod bearing /: I have located a 80,000 mile 4.6 out of a crown vic! My question is will I be able to hook up my mustang PCM, wiring harness and other electrical accessories to the crown vic? I will be interchanging my valve covers, Intake manifold and plenum from GT of course. It's a 2006 crown vic by the way and my mustang is a 2000 so they're both 2v Pi
bobsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Yea everything should match up
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsurvives View Post
Ok guys at 182,000 my mustang has been diagnosed with a spun rod bearing /: I have located a 80,000 mile 4.6 out of a crown vic! My question is will I be able to hook up my mustang PCM, wiring harness and other electrical accessories to the crown vic? I will be interchanging my valve covers, Intake manifold and plenum from GT of course. It's a 2006 crown vic by the way and my mustang is a 2000 so they're both 2v Pi
I've hear two people say they have done the swap using original harness and PCM. I've rode in one of them. Everything worked okay for them. I'll have to agree and say yes. It should work fine.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a bunch guys didn't want to spend some money and have my mustang running like a crown vic.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yep. I did that same swap. Works fine, just swapped the intake and valve covers, and she worked great

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Yep. I did that same swap. Works fine, just swapped the intake and valve covers, and she worked great
Hey thanks man, you got any tips? I have bbk pullies can I swap them over too?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you can swap thwm too. I have U/D's as well. The real difference in the engine across all the vehicles it was in is the intake manifold, and crank (windsor block was an 8 bolt; romeo is a 6 bolt). The block, and internals are all identical. Just make sure you have the correct flywheel for thw crank.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

I just saw yours is a 2000, which is most likely a windsor block, and the crown vic is gonna be a romeo block. You will probably need a new flywheel, but you can usually find one used for under 100 bucks

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This is why 4.6 swap is easy. I used to work for a security company as their mechanic. The answer is yes you will be able to swap without any issues.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah you can swap thwm too. I have U/D's as well. The real difference in the engine across all the vehicles it was in is the intake manifold, and crank (windsor block was an 8 bolt; romeo is a 6 bolt). The block, and internals are all identical. Just make sure you have the correct flywheel for thw crank.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

I just saw yours is a 2000, which is most likely a windsor block, and the crown vic is gonna be a romeo block. You will probably need a new flywheel, but you can usually find one used for under 100 bucks
I thought it would bolt right up since mine is auto?

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

Can you find out if ill need the new flywheel? That way I can start looking
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I did assume you had a stick! Lol
So, as long as the new(er) engine has the flywheel with it, then you'll be fine. They should have the same auto tranny as the mustangs.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

And on a side note, I know these things happen when we can least afford it, but if you can, id look into a TCI torque converter. Something alittle better than stock, but not super expensive. Maybe some guys that have experience with New edge automatics can chime in on the best "stall speed". But just throwing it out there.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The best stall speed for maximum launch performance is on any application always 200rpm below your max torque output on a dyno. With rare exceptions to combinations that just climb and climb. Also your cam/gearing should be changed to compliment the new stall speed if you do get a custom stall.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
What about the heads? Are they essentially the same?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did assume you had a stick! Lol
So, as long as the new(er) engine has the flywheel with it, then you'll be fine. They should have the same auto tranny as the mustangs.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

And on a side note, I know these things happen when we can least afford it, but if you can, id look into a TCI torque converter. Something alittle better than stock, but not super expensive. Maybe some guys that have experience with New edge automatics can chime in on the best "stall speed". But just throwing it out there.
Jeez I didn't even know autos had flywheels lol well now I know. The guy I'm buying it from said it was a complete engine so ill ask if it's included thanks again! And about the torque converter maybe in the near future lol
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have a crown Vic motor in my car it's the same motor the only reason it puts less hp out in the crown Vic is the tune only thing I had to change was the oil filter bracket the intake off the 4.6 mustang motor wouldent fit the crown Vic but other than that it was a strait swap
The grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grim reaper View Post
I have a crown Vic motor in my car it's the same motor the only reason it puts less hp out in the crown Vic is the tune only thing I had to change was the oil filter bracket the intake off the 4.6 mustang motor wouldent fit the crown Vic but other than that it was a strait swap
Yes had to change the oil filter bracket too! Thanks for tue reminder

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wait the intake wouldn't fit?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No it fits. Only if it has non pi heads. But if its a pi motor your intake will fit

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it fits.
Ok good must've been a typo in his post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No it fits. Only if it has non pi heads. But if its a pi motor your intake will fit
I edited it

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I edited it
Cool, ill update everyone when this all gets done and the Stang is up and running again, ill post any other questions that come up here!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ok good luck! And just an extra tip, buy new gaskets dont try and reuse what you have. Thats no bueno

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok good luck! And just an extra tip, buy new gaskets dont try and reuse what you have. Thats no bueno
Will do but which gaskets? Give me names I'm a noob!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Don't worry i forgot it was just The gasket wasn't right I have a 99gt the motor was out of an 04 the. 04 was different I had new gaskets for the 99 not the 04 so I just put the mustang intake on and I'm not talking about the throttle body just the intake
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Gaskets you should replace be cause you have the motor out anyway easier now than when the motors in and its pretty cheap and will save your self trouble later intake,plenum,oil pan,valve covers, and I'm not sure how the front and real seals on the motor come out because mine was rebuilt when I got it but if u can change them without taking the crank out I would do it some motors you can change them by prying them out and hammering new ones in just not sure about 4.6 maybe Someone can chime in on that for you
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Gaskets you should replace be cause you have the motor out anyway easier now than when the motors in and its pretty cheap and will save your self trouble later intake,plenum,oil pan,valve covers, and I'm not sure how the front and real seals on the motor come out because mine was rebuilt when I got it but if u can change them without taking the crank out I would do it some motors you can change them by prying them out and hammering new ones in just not sure about 4.6 maybe Someone can chime in on that for you
New gaskets all around is never a bad idea. If your changing parts from your old engine to the new one, anyrhing that has a gasket attached is what you want to replace. Like your oil filter adapter gasket, intake manafold gasket, valve cover gaskets, thermostat housing gasket, and that might be it. But look at all seals and if they look like they are old, possibly leaky replace It then, and it will save you a lot of headache later. And pick up a chiltons manual to your car too. Those will help you with anything you need

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ok my mechanic got everything bolted up and turned on and he said as it was running to warm up it just turned off and it won't turn on now. He asked if it had a kill switch? He's gonna run thru it again and see if anything got disconnected or anything else is wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

If I car wont turn ovrt at all it has to be fuel or ignition. I suggest narrowing it down to which one by hearing if the fuel pump will prime when you turn the key to the ignition on position, but not started up. If it does, see if the mexhanic can test and see if its geting spark. Ive always just pulled out a spark plug and see if it archs when connected to the COP, and try to start it up. But be very careful. Dont shock yourself!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If I car wont turn ovrt at all it has to be fuel or ignition. I suggest narrowing it down to which one by hearing if the fuel pump will prime when you turn the key to the ignition on position, but not started up. If it does, see if the mexhanic can test and see if its geting spark. Ive always just pulled out a spark plug and see if it archs when connected to the COP, and try to start it up. But be very careful. Dont shock yourself!
Thanks hopefully he can get it running again
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I had a similar problem with my 06GT where the car wouldnt start. I ended up thinking it was a fuel pump and replaced my fuel pump and that didnt do the trick. The car had some kind of fuel regulator in the trunk due to the car having a returnless fuel system. Some stuff in my trunk shifted and messed up the electronic fuel regulator. I cant remember if the new edge has a similar regulator or not but if your ignition is sparking I would start there.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
I had a similar problem with my 06GT where the car wouldnt start. I ended up thinking it was a fuel pump and replaced my fuel pump and that didnt do the trick. The car had some kind of fuel regulator in the trunk due to the car having a returnless fuel system. Some stuff in my trunk shifted and messed up the electronic fuel regulator. I cant remember if the new edge has a similar regulator or not but if your ignition is sparking I would start there.
Gonna give him a call today and hopefully here some good news, idk about our cars being the same but we both have returnless fuel systems.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there is an inertia switch in the trunk of all fords for fuel shut off basically from the mid 80's- present day. That could be the culprit. When mine (2000 GT) didnt start it was becasue of a bad fuel pump, but it sat for 5 months before I finished the build.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah there is an inertia switch in the trunk of all fords for fuel shut off basically from the mid 80's- present day. That could be the culprit. When mine (2000 GT) didnt start it was becasue of a bad fuel pump, but it sat for 5 months before I finished the build.
Oh I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't shut off automatically? Right? You have to shut it off manually? How could he forget that...
Old 02-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Its an enertia switch. So the force of getting hit (AKA an accident) is supposed to turn the fuel off. Sometimes if left to sit, they just go bad, or even a quick stop (unlikely) could trigger it. But its in The trunk and easy to get to. Its kinda like a circuit breaker in a house. If its off, just switch it to the on position.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its an enertia switch. So the force of getting hit (AKA an accident) is supposed to turn the fuel off. Sometimes if left to sit, they just go bad, or even a quick stop (unlikely) could trigger it. But its in The trunk and easy to get to. Its kinda like a circuit breaker in a house. If its off, just switch it to the on position.
Thanks for the info, ill ask him after work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT