4.6 to 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
4.6 to 5.0

In my 2002 GT a spark plug tip broke off into the engine and scarred into the piston and we think it spun a rod bearing. So I found a 1987 Crown Victoria with a 5.0 and i was wondering if i would be able to transfer the 5.0 into my GT
02StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I hope you didnt purchase the car yet. I used to swap engines transmissions rearends and everything inbetween on crown victorias for a security company I worked for. Good news I have for you the 4.6 is easier to swap than a 5.0. Dont swap in a 5.0! In the end it will cost way more money for the needed conversion equipment than swaping a full 4.6 with wiring harness. Also a factory 5.0 would badly kill your performance. A good running crown victoria is a good cheap canidate for a full engine swap into your mustang. Just get one with a 4.6 sohc engine like yours.

Also make sure the crown vic is a newer model with the PI heads and intake on it BEFORE you buy it to make the swap as easy as possible.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ok thanks. so another Question would i be able to just change out the piston? Or should i have the whole engine rebuilt? if i need it rebuilt how much would it cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The 4.6 are internally balanced. So you really cant swap out a piston. You would either have to do a complete bottom end rebuild, of if you can find any P.I. 2V 4.6 for sale, the swap would probably be the easiest to do. Oh the price would depend on where you take it. A rebuild kit can run between 600-1,000.00

Im thinking you could probably find a used engine in a crown vic, grand marquis, f-150...etc....etc... and swap it in for less. Just make sure its a P.I. 4.6; and you might have to swap over some top end stuff; like intake and whatnot. Ive done it before and I actually found a complete engine out of a 05' marquis for 50.00. Spent an extra 200 on gaskets and small stuff, did the swap myself, and worked great.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah what he said. Plus you need to find out if you have a 6 or 8 bolt engine and make sure the engine you get is that 6 or 8 bolt. Dont rebuild. Engine swap.. I can do it in 1 day with the 4.6 Best candidate will be a car that is running so you know theres no issues with the engine you are putting in your car.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Yeah what he said. Plus you need to find out if you have a 6 or 8 bolt engine and make sure the engine you get is that 6 or 8 bolt. Dont rebuild. Engine swap.. I can do it in 1 day with the 4.6 Best candidate will be a car that is running so you know theres no issues with the engine you are putting in your car.
Haha this came up in another post as well. Yes the crank can make a difference. Unless they are both autos, then you shouldnt have to switch even if the cranks are different. Assuming tue new(er) engine comes with the auto flywheel.

Oh if you have an 02' its probably a romeo block which is a 6 bolt, which will be the same as the crown vic

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had pretty much the same thing my motor blew a plug out broke the coil pack and everything I heila coiled it than it broke a chunk of the head off in the cylinder check the pic out it broke the valve and scored the cylinder real bad that's how I ended up putting a vic motor in I'm with everybody eles do the Vic swap and don't believe these guys that tell you the Vic motor doesn't make as much power the only reason it puts out less hp in the Vic is the way it's tuned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1653204558.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	89597  
The grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grim reaper View Post
I had pretty much the same thing my motor blew a plug out broke the coil pack and everything I heila coiled it than it broke a chunk of the head off in the cylinder check the pic out it broke the valve and scored the cylinder real bad that's how I ended up putting a vic motor in I'm with everybody eles do the Vic swap and don't believe these guys that tell you the Vic motor doesn't make as much power the only reason it puts out less hp in the Vic is the way it's tuned
I couldnt agree more

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Another reason to use the vic motor really. It hasnt been beaten with a stang banger tune.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

This is the plug I pulled out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130207_001259.png
Views:	94
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	89621  
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That doesn't look broke that look melted is your motor stock the reason I ask the only other time I've seen a plug look like that was in a race motor with a shaved head with super high compression and running race fuel
The grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

When I bought it the guy only had it for a year and didn't know very much about mustangs so I didn't really ask knowing the answer would be a dumb look and a shrug. The passenger window has been wrote on with a maker and its a bunch of numbers. All Iknow is the exhaust isn't stock. Even with that he didn't know What kind it was but I can see decal residue on the quarter window and it had flow master and magna-flow decals what there is one that says SPRINT with 2 slashes but other ten that to m knowledge it's all stock
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I found a 4.6 in Florida the Guy wants 1300 for it with 56,000 miles I think imma go that route
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just have to make sure its PI and has the flywheel bolt pattern you need. Good hunting.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it is PI its out of the same car ad mine
Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Well maybe you can keep your old motor and make plans in the future to bore it and make a strong built motor.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's what I wanted to do
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Well maybe you can keep your old motor and make plans in the future to bore it and make a strong built motor.
This is what I would do, buy the motor and put it in....take the time and research (if you don't know) to rebuild your motor with forged internals and stuff. Take pride in it and build it strong and paint it if you want....make it strong and "yours" then swap back, sell the other motor and enjoy.

This is what I am going to do. I'm going to build a motor with my dad and let my kids help us so it will be a bonding experience and teach the kids a lot. Will mean sooo much more in the end

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

This is what I would do, buy the motor and put it in....take the time and research (if you don't know) to rebuild your motor with forged internals and stuff. Take pride in it and build it strong and paint it if you want....make it strong and "yours" then swap back, sell the other motor and enjoy.

This is what I am going to do. I'm going to build a motor with my dad and let my kids help us so it will be a bonding experience and teach the kids a lot. Will mean sooo much more in the end
That sounds like amazing quality time with your kids have fun!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT