T444E Powerstroke Mustang Build - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
T444E Powerstroke Mustang Build

Seems smart to me. Improved gas milage and an engine that shares the assembly line with fords aftermarket boss351 block and is forged at 44,000psi. Making it 1100hp/1400lb-tq capable. These powerstrokes are known for having unatural long life at 700,000 miles to an unabused engine in a heavy superduty truck. Both factors for gas milage and longevity making it a brilliant canditate for a swap.

Many have already swaped the 460 in a stang and if the old superdutys share 460 and powerstroke power why not put a T444E in a stang? Such a swap raises alot of questions so bear with me please.

Height. The powerstroke 7.3 is 36.6 inchs tall to the 32 inch tall 460. This raises the question of "pinto kmember swaps" that lower the craddle by 1.5 inchs, as well as using 1.5 inch k member spacers. And a giant undetermined size hood takes care of the engine height. No problem.

Width. I know some 460 guys depending on what parts they use need to do a manual brake booster conversion. I consider this a requirement for this swap because I know the powerstroke is wider. But is that enough? Would I have to relocate the brake booser? Is that even possible? Also would I have to cut out the wheel wells for engine clearance? I really dont want to as this build is entended to be a daily driver. But even if I have to go custom the obsticles can be overcome. No problem.

Depth. Ill cut out the fire wall if I have to. No problem.

Mounting. Does anyone know if T444E engine and 460 engine mounts in the superduty are the same? If not custom mounts can be made. No problem.

Trans? The C-6 with a diesel housing of coarse but does anyone know of a aftermarket performance trans shop that can build me a 1200hp capable C-6 with a diesel housing? Also does the C-6 Diesel caseing bolt pattern fit the newer T444E engine?

Crossmember is a sinch I plan to use an aftermarket cross member for a C-6 swap. Not worried about size of tranny. I can beat out some room for the tranny linkage with a hammer. No problem.

Computer. One for a manual trans. C-6 is preasure shifted. No problem.

Intercooler? Anyone got sugestions? Im thinking procharger with custom piping?

Driveshaft. Custom obviously but from who?

Rearend. 9 Inch to help balance the engine weight. Also car will be convertable to help as well. Strange has a bolt in 9 inch coversion. No problem.

Suspension. Planed on factory 03 cobra coupe front springs to handle the weight with stock rear springs. Is this a problem?

Jump right in guys n gals. With a few answered questions and a little more cofidence I plan to start this build.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Very interested on how this comes together
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It should be quiet an impresive car. Unique, ecinomical and intimidating all at the same time. No one expects to pull up to a mustang and it have a diesel thump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Well when you need engine parts you can come to me. Work for international truck... The folks who built that engine for ford.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good to me. They make a giant powered by international windsheild banner for my stang? j/k
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Interesting... Very... Not a bad idea. Could see this in a fox
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Youtube cumstang
02MURDEREDGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I've been wanting to do this forever but from what I've read unless u have a big bank roll its gonna be a nightmare don't get me wrong I've been dreaming about this for a long long time after I seen a 69 Chevelle at a car show with a turbo duramax in it pushing like 900 hp and 1200 tq and it rolled black smoke l was in love untill he told me he had almost 20k just in putting the motor in and fuel system and only minor mods to the motot

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-06-2013 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The grim reaper View Post
I've been wanting to do this forever but from what I've read unless u have a big bank roll its gonna be a nightmare don't get me wrong I've been dreaming about this for a long long time after I seen a 69 Chevelle at a car show with a turbo duramax in it pushing like 900 hp and 1200 tq and it rolled black smoke l was in love untill he told me he had almost 20k just in putting the motor in and fuel system and only minor mods to the motot
. ******Minor mods to the motor compartment and chassis
The grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Love the 7.3. Ad they are some tough durable engines that can last forever. But as for performance its ganna cost a crapload to get gains in hp and torque. Tbh, if performance is what you want, id go with a 12 valve cummins. Plus there pretty durable too
Termi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I know the cummins in a sn95 has been done but never a powerstroke ive seen. Kinda adds to the wow factor and rarety of the swap. I would never consider a fox for this swap with the engine weight fully dressed being a whooping 900lbs, Id never get traction.. lol. Not so worried about future mods to the engine a good air filter and a good aftermarket tune will most likely be as far as I take it for a while. I wana see 35 plus MPG and have the engine last 500k minimum to give me return on my investment. Also im calculating no where near 20 grand for this entire swap due to im doing the work myself and trying to stay away from custom parts as much as possible. Even still if I did run out of funds I have no problem with putting it on hold for as long as it takes.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

God im so excited I cant sleep. I'm going to look at a 2000 v6 stang black with black top and grey cloth tomarrow. It supposedly has a blown head gasket and is for sale for 1500. Score.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Yeah I know the cummins in a sn95 has been done but never a powerstroke ive seen. Kinda adds to the wow factor and rarety of the swap. I would never consider a fox for this swap with the engine weight fully dressed being a whooping 900lbs, Id never get traction.. lol. Not so worried about future mods to the engine a good air filter and a good aftermarket tune will most likely be as far as I take it for a while. I wana see 35 plus MPG and have the engine last 500k minimum to give me return on my investment. Also im calculating no where near 20 grand for this entire swap due to im doing the work myself and trying to stay away from custom parts as much as possible. Even still if I did run out of funds I have no problem with putting it on hold for as long as it takes.
Yeah true. The 444 is certainly capable of massive torque, the trick is getting hp out of it. The good thing would be like you said you never see anyways with it. If you wanted to stick to a ford diesel, you could do a 6.0. You actually might find a 6.0 for cheaper than some 7.3s. 6.0s get ragged on, but theyre easy to get power out of
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

6.0 was an option I looked at but fully dressed its weight was 1100lbs. An 03 cobra engine is about 720lbs fully dressed the 7.3 at 900lbs is a smaller jump away. Also ford put independent rear suspension in the 03 cobra to help ballance the weight. My plan on the cheap is just to use a convertable car with a 9 inch rear in the future. Jumping to 1100lbs throws my plan off balance. Not to mention the 7.3 is known to be more durable giving me more for my return. Futhermore I understand the 7.3's are getting better gas milage than the 6.0's.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ntbruncie. I have a question I need answered that I feel is right up your alley. Anyone could answer but Im curious if the T444E PowerStroke engine and the Diesel 7.3 IDI infact use the same block and transmission pattern? If so this would mean I can use the C-6 like I planned. If not I can use a different trans but will mean Ill have to get a custom bell housing adapter which means more money. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
6.0 was an option I looked at but fully dressed its weight was 1100lbs. An 03 cobra engine is about 720lbs fully dressed the 7.3 at 900lbs is a smaller jump away. Also ford put independent rear suspension in the 03 cobra to help ballance the weight. My plan on the cheap is just to use a convertable car with a 9 inch rear in the future. Jumping to 1100lbs throws my plan off balance. Not to mention the 7.3 is known to be more durable giving me more for my return. Futhermore I understand the 7.3's are getting better gas milage than the 6.0's.
Oh wow i didnt know the 6.0 weighed more
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I did find a resource that said the 6.0 was only 966lbs but that I imagine that is without engine accessories and probly dry. Either way from what information I can find the 6.0 is heavier. I imagine this is due to the added emisions equipment.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I would like to see how this comes together. I have a 6.0 dd and i wish i woulda went with the 7.3. But the 6.0 does have a few down falls to it but overall its a good motor. To me the 6.0 is a lil bit more peppier than the 7.3. Head studs and egr cooler delete will solve 90% of the problems. But in the end it all comes down to what you want. Good luck
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
I would like to see how this comes together. I have a 6.0 dd and i wish i woulda went with the 7.3. But the 6.0 does have a few down falls to it but overall its a good motor. To me the 6.0 is a lil bit more peppier than the 7.3. Head studs and egr cooler delete will solve 90% of the problems. But in the end it all comes down to what you want. Good luck
From what ive heard head studs and egr delete make it as reliable as a 7.3. And ive only driven 1 6.0 but it definitely has more power than the 7.3
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The good thing about the egr cooler is you can cut both ends of and the insides will fall right out and seal off the egr scoop off and you have yourself a egr delete for less than $20. And studs are only $400+/-
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The good thing about the egr cooler is you can cut both ends of and the insides will fall right out and seal off the egr scoop off and you have yourself a egr delete for less than $20. And studs are only $400+/-
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I may have to use a 6.0 or another engine. The fact that the 7.3 has no emissions control equipment was why production was stoped and before the S197 platform came out, making a 7.3 in a S197 not street leagle in the state of texas where I live to my best understanding. The good news is International makes many different diesel engine I could swap. There is even the new 6.7 that comes with a pavement pounding 800ft-tq and 400hp. As well using a newer engine with emissions control equipment would mean I could use the S197 platform with a larger engine area making my ford diesel powered mustang swap easier. Unfortunatly I fear that if the 7.3 wont fit in a SN95/FOX4 platform I wont have the money to buy the newer bodied car, newer engine and the custom parts the swap will require. But where theres a will theres a way so I most likely will go through with the swap after saving more money and finding the easiest way to put any powerstroke in any mustang platform.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #22

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
Well when you need engine parts you can come to me. Work for international truck... The folks who built that engine for ford.
Would you be able to get parts for a 6.9 IDI? I'm thinking about doing a swap in a mustang for the 6.9 and some parts for a truck
1987f250dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #23

Region: Georgia
so ready for this build been invisioning this in my head forever but with a cummins
Low and fitted 02 vert. Lowered on racelands with matching camber plates. Steeda bumpsteer and ball joints. On white Saleen rims 18x10 all the way around wrapped in 245/40/18 and 295/35/18. MGW race shifter with a custom white gt knob. Carbon Driven gauge cover and fog bezels. Cobra bumper. Straight piped. spectra ram air. bbk adj clutch cable. 2 12" kenwoods and a 165db 3 note train horn with a 1.5gl air tank.
LowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Um good luck getting answers guys, this thread hasn't been active since February last year and the member hasn't been active since June last year
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'm still around. And yes I can get parts for the 6.9L
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT