Small block 350 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
Small block 350

I'm currently rebuilding a chevy small
Block 350. I have a 700r4 manual transmission. Is this possible to fit in my 96 gt? 4.6l
Trevorbevington is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is wrong on many levels.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Yes you will just need to contact a suspension company who make the correct K member with the proper motor mounts for it to fit. You may have clearance issues depending on your intake you use etc etc, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit with the proper fabrication etc. Tons of fox bodies use SBCs at the track since it is a great motor to begin modding.

2002 True Blue V6 to GT Vert
16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
2.15 60', 9.3@77, 14.4@96 as a 5spd SOHC 4.6
runvsofthisbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
Lol +1
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09
This is perfect.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
while I agree it is his car so do with it as you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorbevington View Post
I'm currently rebuilding a chevy small
Block 350. I have a 700r4 manual transmission. Is this possible to fit in my 96 gt? 4.6l
Isn't the 700r4 an automatic? Or was it converted to manual? Either way I've heard those transmissions are crap. Just what I've heard. I've built a 327 once which was fun but it had a TH350 behind it.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by runvsofthisbull

while I agree it is his car so do with it as you like.

Isn't the 700r4 an automatic? Or was it converted to manual? Either way I've heard those transmissions are crap. Just what I've heard. I've built a 327 once which was fun but it had a TH350 behind it.
They have 700r4's in manual. Anyways, how did the th350 pare up with it?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They have 700r4's in manual. Anyways, how did the th350 pare up with it?
It did fine. Motor had about 350-365 flywheel HP. The converter was slightly upgraded and it had a shift kit with reverse valve body etc etc. Was like 15 yrs ago though.

16.1@86 as an auto 3.8
Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #9

Well here's my story so far. I have a 96 mustang gt with 92k on it. It's my daily. I have a small block 350 that I'm currently rebuilding and decided i put it in my car. I just needs a transmission and I don't really know which one to get. I'm trying to keep the engine and tranny budget to 800-1100. So i'm not exactly buying brand new ****. I may need a little help or a sort of walk through on how to get it in.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I dont know where you live but I dont think putting a carborated engine into a obd-2 car is street leagle where im at. I would have to use an LT-LS series which would bust your budget. Check with your state to make sure. Also the big swap peices are going to be K-member, Custom Engine Mounts, Custom Oil Pan, and either Custom Tranny Cross member or Custom Bell housing or both depending on your trans selection is and then a Custom driveshaft is needed. This swap cannot be done for 1100. On that note most guys who start these swaps with a limited budget arnt able to finish and have to sell the project before its done. I would look into improving the engine you have if you are on a limited budget, its much wizer. If your new to modifying your car dont hesitate to ask your fellow mustang owners about which parts work and which dont.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #11

Well in that case I think I'll just beef up the 4.6. I'm familiar with most upgrades and bolts. So i'm not a complete "rookie" but what would any of you guys do to get as much horse/torque. If I'm keeping this engine my budget goes to around 1500
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I would try my hardest to convert your non-pi engine to a PI with new heads and intake manifold for 1500. You could use CAI and exhuast bolt ons but without the PI heads and intake your not going to see near the power increase in basic bolt ons as you would with the PI heads and intake. Power increases without the PI heads and intake will be very discouraging and not give you as much bang for your buck. The PI (Performance Improved) heads and intake I speak of can be found on 99-04 gt mustangs and a few parts suppliers carry them as a kit. Bolt on mods you could do before the conversion to notice big gains would be rear gears and driveshaft. After you have the PI conversion I can recomend further mods if you wish and I wont steer you wrong.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Head-Swap-Kit

$1364.99 for the conversion. Knock yourself out!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I also forgot to mention the PI swap will give you an actual 30plus more RWHP!! You could add $1500 in bolt ons and never get 30rwhp with your non-pi motor. I also beleave you will notice better gas milage with the PI coversion.

5.0 Mustangs and Superford got 52rwhp on a mostly stock '98 GT reusing the stock manifolds, with no porting. The vehicles E/T dropped from 14.4 to 13.6.

And since magazine results seem rediculous sometimes. I found an average joe regular persons results.
1/4 mile Performance- before the headswap - 14.45 @ 96.6 w/ 2.25 60ft on 2.73s
1/4 mile Performance - after the headswap - 13.93 @ 102.07 w/ 2.3 60ft on 2.73s

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang
I would try my hardest to convert your non-pi engine to a PI with new heads and intake manifold for 1500. You could use CAI and exhuast bolt ons but without the PI heads and intake your not going to see near the power increase in basic bolt ons as you would with the PI heads and intake. Power increases without the PI heads and intake will be very discouraging and not give you as much bang for your buck. The PI (Performance Improved) heads and intake I speak of can be found on 99-04 gt mustangs and a few parts suppliers carry them as a kit. Bolt on mods you could do before the conversion to notice big gains would be rear gears and driveshaft. After you have the PI conversion I can recomend further mods if you wish and I wont steer you wrong.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Head-Swap-Kit

$1364.99 for the conversion. Knock yourself out!
+1
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Well here's my story so far. I have a 96 mustang gt with 92k on it. It's my daily. I have a small block 350 that I'm currently rebuilding and decided i put it in my car. I just needs a transmission and I don't really know which one to get. I'm trying to keep the engine and tranny budget to 800-1100. So i'm not exactly buying brand new ****. I may need a little help or a sort of walk through on how to get it in.
Your budget will not cover it. I'd just built the motor, sell it, and buy a 4.6 or a 5.0.
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
A little advice sell the 350 and get a 4.6 it's a digraph to even think about doing that

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
A little advice sell the 350 and get a 4.6 it's a digraph to even think about doing that
Disgrace.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Disgrace.
+1
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You people are crazy u can build a Chevy cheaper than a ford anyday and make more hp . Ford cost alot of money to get hp . You can make motor mounts to enable yourself to sit it in the K member to save yourself money or. Get some plates . If u had the cash u could get a upr member that accepts it . I have actually done these swaps and I do them all myself . For your tranny I would go find a 350 turbo or 400 turbo or if u can get lucky a powerglide all very good Trans and will withhold alot of hp . You will have to do some modifications on the driveshaft . Honestly your budget doesn't cover the cost to do any swap but don't give up push through It my man . A 4.6 motor IMO is a big disgrace they are slow and weaker than a 5.0 and won't hold as much hp before the block cracks and I hate efi so I would go carb will save you on the wiring . So I say just do what you can for now and finish up later . Just I would not go with the crappy 4.6
99GreenStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A Chevy motor in a Ford...?!? what r we back n 1955?? Wtf
fomoco4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GreenStang View Post
You people are crazy u can build a Chevy cheaper than a ford anyday and make more hp . Ford cost alot of money to get hp . You can make motor mounts to enable yourself to sit it in the K member to save yourself money or. Get some plates . If u had the cash u could get a upr member that accepts it . I have actually done these swaps and I do them all myself . For your tranny I would go find a 350 turbo or 400 turbo or if u can get lucky a powerglide all very good Trans and will withhold alot of hp . You will have to do some modifications on the driveshaft . Honestly your budget doesn't cover the cost to do any swap but don't give up push through It my man . A 4.6 motor IMO is a big disgrace they are slow and weaker than a 5.0 and won't hold as much hp before the block cracks and I hate efi so I would go carb will save you on the wiring . So I say just do what you can for now and finish up later . Just I would not go with the crappy 4.6
Very true that chevy engines are producing more power per dollar than the ford engines with a few exeptions, the old saying there is no replacement for displacement still stands. However swaping a chevy engine into a ford still requires more money than most have available for mods and simple performance bolts ons that would give better performance than a stock engine swap is capable of chevy or otherwize.

The largest advantage ford has over chevy is the chasis's ford has produced are better performers than their competitors making the need to have as much power not necisary to reach the same performance goals.

Furthermore for those who do have the coin ford engines do make more power than chevy engines cubic inch for cubic inch.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think you're on the wrong forum, if you hate 4.6s and think ford motors are a disgrace, what are you doing with a mustang? Go buy a camaro or something Chevy that will make you happy.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
I think you're on the wrong forum, if you hate 4.6s and think ford motors are a disgrace, what are you doing with a mustang? Go buy a camaro or something Chevy that will make you happy.
Indeed.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

4.6 do suck bro I got a 99 with a 302 in it carb that smoke them all day I do my work on mine and like it yes I like Chevy too and Chevy engines will smoke a ford for less money not saying a ford can't beat a Chevy just cost more money to build it that way I think your question is out of line take some advice learn more .
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
4.6 do suck bro I got a 99 with a 302 in it carb that smoke them all day I do my work on mine and like it yes I like Chevy too and Chevy engines will smoke a ford for less money not saying a ford can't beat a Chevy just cost more money to build it that way I think your question is out of line take some advice learn more .
so u prefer chevy, but own a mustang? why? besides the fact mustangs are so damn sexy

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You said it. Love the mustang body I don't hate ford I don't hate Chevy like them both was simply saying that a Chevy will make more hp for less money but a ford is capable of that hp as well just for a higher cost .
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I think you'd need custom motor mounts for that to fit also. Also a different transmission, bellhousing and possibly a custom crossmember for the transmission. I could be wrong on all of that, but that's what would come to my mind in putting an entirely different motor in it.

Needless to say, stick with a Ford motor
Old 02-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Firstly dont bash import owners I know a few that have cars that are faster than youve ever dreamed your daily driver to be. This include 2 awd talon talon owners that run low 8's in the 1/4 on the STREET. Nextly I have no problem putting chevy power in a ford if thats what will make it faster for the amount of money I have. However I also know that building a ford engine to trump a chevy is an art form as well as costly and not just any boob can build one. You can pretty much close your eyes and pick random top end peices for a ls1 engine and it will make over 500hp. Cant do that with a ford but a properly built ford will trump a chevy every day of the week. You see each of us has to go with what we know and I know how to make a 351w better than a 350SBC. Nextly the 302 is not a better performer than the 281 in factory trim. A 96 gt (281) is faster than a 95 gt (302) stock for stock and a 99 gt (281pi) is faster still.

I dunno what town your from but im from Dallas and have been apart of the racing scene here since I was 14 and am now 27. Ive even made a few trips to Houston for money races. Thats 13 years of heads up racing and Id love to introduce you to my crowd of 7 and 8 second street leagle car owners only one of which is a ford owner and most are chevys. So trust me I know what im talking about, not just some rookie.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Carrol Shelby said it best; "horsepower sells cars, torque wins races". So don't think horsepower is everything. When Chevy first presented the Camaro they raced it against the Mustang with the small cubic inch V8 and Chevy bragged how much horsepower there bigger V8 had. Ford wasn't worried....they lined them up and the 1967 Muscle cars began a huge battle still fought today. The Mustangs small 289 V8 with 225hp beat the Chevys 327 290hp. Chevy didn't know why, and Shelby said the quote I mentioned. Have fun with your Chevy engine I'll keep my Ford motor there's a reason a guy like Shelby stood by the Ford motors for so long.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

How did a mustang forum end up being a Ford, Chevy debate?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I bash imports my def of a import is a 4' exhaust 4p thousand sticker has every Walmart item u can buy for a car , black spray can wheels painted calipers neons that add hp , and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out . I've got a buddy that has a srt 4 that is heavily modified but done right and with style that's not a import in my opinion that's a bad *** car I call them different . Other buddy has a cobalt as turbo basically a Hahn race craft ca tons of cash in it also to me not a import just a bad *** car I run with a very fast group of guys I'm no stranger to speed and cars that you are talking about man I'm sure we both have been around some fast cars .been around everything from cammed vets to 7 second chevelles and turbo vehicles , supercharged , pro charged , blown ( my fav) not trying to start a argument just saying man we both been around fast vehicles

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

That caroll Shelby story sounds like a STORY' never seen a 289 stock outrun a 327 stock ever . Sounds like I better grab my boots Shelby knew nothing about cars in my opinion he was more of a designer and not a engine builder not saying he wasn't good at that just you Guys know what I mean when I say sometimes say at ur job you do things maybe to make something more efficient and ur boss will take the credit as if it was his idea kinda what I believe after hearing Shelby talk about some of his cars .. Ill get my fire suit on for these flames coming my way some ****** will say Shelby is te greatest and say dah duh dah ..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

lol i still cant believe u drive a mustang after all the chevy love u have. no hate from me though. to each there own

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Gtr. Enough said.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think it was out of line at all. All you are doing is stirring up trouble when you come on a mustang forum and start saying how ford engines are disgraces and whatnot. And the whole reason I am on this forum is to learn and pass on what I do know to others, not trifle with people who just like to start stuff like this. I'm sure you probably know more than I do about cars, but I do know that what you are doing is not productive to anyone, just causing lots of hate.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
* Ding! Did you guys here that?! That was my popcorn in the microwave
Robbiemustang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

I call remote! What u got to drink man? This is gettin good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« "New Engine" | Mods »