Vibration after clutch install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Vibration after clutch install

I just had a repair shop install an Exedy stage 1 clutch set, struts, and alignment. Picked it up this afternoon and immediately when I started it up noticed a vibration that wasn't there before. The car revved smooth as silk before the install. at 2k rpm it feels like im driving on a rumble strip. It doesn't matter if its in gear, out, moving or stationary it still does it. Spoke to the mech about it and he thinks its because of the new trans mount I had them put in, transmitting vibrations because of it being so stiff. I'm not so sure, I believe its because something is out of balance near the flywheel and now I'm scared to death its going to shake my motor to friggin pieces. Anyone have any ideas? or did I just fork out 700 bucks to have my car destroyed??????
VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have the Exedy stage 2 it shook a little bit after install and when the rpms came down. I'm just now at 550 miles since my install and it's going away. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? I think it's just part of the break in period. I set my trip calculator on my odometer to 0 to see when I reached the 500 mile break in period. When a new clutch is installed it takes 500 city miles for a proper break in and not shifting over 3k rpms. Normal symptoms of a clutch breaking in is chattering when engaging.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #3

[QUOTE="jjsg09;1515466"]I have the Exedy stage 2 it shook a little bit after install and when the rpms came down. I'm just now at 550 miles since my install and it's going away. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? I think it's just part of the break in period. I set my trip calculator on my odometer to 0 to see when I reached the 500 mile break in period. When a new clutch is installed it takes 500 city miles for a proper break in and not shifting over 3k rpms. Normal symptoms of a clutch breaking in is chattering when engaging.[/

flywheel was resurfaced....so do i just drive it properly for the break in period before i start havin a coronary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can but shaking at just idle that is a violent shaking isnt normal. If its slight it could just be because its new. Does it shake more the higher the rpms or does it drift away?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
When I installed my Exedy stage 1 it didn't vibrate at all.....
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Old 02-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I was searching the web and most common issue on vibrations after clutch install was transmission crossmember was mounted backwards which can mount the tranny crooked. 2nd was driveshaft wasn't marked before removal so it was mounted back up not in the original way it was taken off, ultimately not balanced. Then next was flywheel was resurfaced and wasn't resurfaced properly, meaning it was warped after resurfacing.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea my stage 1 didn't vibrate at all
Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
I was searching the web and most common issue on vibrations after clutch install was transmission crossmember was mounted backwards which can mount the tranny crooked. 2nd was driveshaft wasn't marked before removal so it was mounted back up not in the original way it was taken off, ultimately not balanced. Then next was flywheel was resurfaced and wasn't resurfaced properly, meaning it was warped after resurfacing.
its gotta be something rotational im sure. the vibration goes in hand with the rpms. its not violent or anything but very very noticable at the same time
Old 02-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It is not uncommon for shops to remove the pressure plate assembly locating dowels when they resurface the flywheel--make sure they got put back in, as it is also not uncommon for repair shops to believe the PP mounting bolts will ensure it is centered--they will not, the dowel pins have to be used. Unfortunately the only way to really tell if the dowels are in there is to pull the tranny.

It would not hurt to ask your mechanic about them, if they get a fuzzy look or hesitate in answering make 'em pull the transmission to be sure. Some mechanics will be pissed off when you ask questions like this, which is good because it means they know what they are doing and are annoyed that you would ask such a stupid question...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #11

Quote:
You can but shaking at just idle that is a violent shaking isnt normal. If its slight it could just be because its new. Does it shake more the higher the rpms or does it drift away?
it doesn't chatter or shake on engagement, but vibrates according to the rpms. moving, not moving, in gear or out makes no difference. The vibration feels similar to say, a phone on vibrate so to speak. I took it back to the shop and they are going to remove the inspection plate and have a look. Then if they find something they will pull the tranny again. I was told that if it was something they did then no labor charge but if I bought defective parts that I was going to have to pitch in labor charges AGAIN. So heres to crossing my fingers that they screwed up!!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertGT View Post

it doesn't chatter or shake on engagement, but vibrates according to the rpms. moving, not moving, in gear or out makes no difference. The vibration feels similar to say, a phone on vibrate so to speak. I took it back to the shop and they are going to remove the inspection plate and have a look. Then if they find something they will pull the tranny again. I was told that if it was something they did then no labor charge but if I bought defective parts that I was going to have to pitch in labor charges AGAIN. So heres to crossing my fingers that they screwed up!!
If you bought the clutch from AM I would be giving them a call right now. If its a defective part I would give them an ear full.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #13

Quote:

If you bought the clutch from AM I would be giving them a call right now. If its a defective part I would give them an ear full.
yeah it came from AM. i just got it back again and they found nothing wrong. they do notice the vibration but think the pp or clutch plate is out of balance. i sent AM an email already. when you said your stang shook a little was it just on shifts(chatter)? or was it like what im dealing with now?
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah it came from AM. i just got it back again and they found nothing wrong. they do notice the vibration but think the pp or clutch plate is out of balance. i sent AM an email already. when you said your stang shook a little was it just on shifts(chatter)? or was it like what im dealing with now?
What your talking about I tested it today and its almost gone. All I notice is when i rev and the rpms level out its a slight shutter now. Other than that its smooth now.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:

What your talking about I tested it today and its almost gone. All I notice is when i rev and the rpms level out its a slight shutter now. Other than that its smooth now.
I hope mine follows suit with yours then..looks like im just gona see what happens, thanks for all the help.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #16

Region: Texas
same problem

i just got an exedy stage 2 clutch put on and i have the same problem on my late 01 mustang gt did you ever get it figured out and fixed? these is like a complete nightmare after paying the shop..it vibrates a lil in gear and not in gear and does up as i do in rpm what is it....please help???
blkstangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I just had a repair shop install an Exedy stage 1 clutch set, struts, and alignment. Picked it up this afternoon and immediately when I started it up noticed a vibration that wasn't there before. The car revved smooth as silk before the install. at 2k rpm it feels like im driving on a rumble strip. It doesn't matter if its in gear, out, moving or stationary it still does it. Spoke to the mech about it and he thinks its because of the new trans mount I had them put in, transmitting vibrations because of it being so stiff. I'm not so sure, I believe its because something is out of balance near the flywheel and now I'm scared to death its going to shake my motor to friggin pieces. Anyone have any ideas? or did I just fork out 700 bucks to have my car destroyed??????
If you didn't resurface your flywheel or get a new one that's your problem
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkstangman View Post
i just got an exedy stage 2 clutch put on and i have the same problem on my late 01 mustang gt did you ever get it figured out and fixed? these is like a complete nightmare after paying the shop..it vibrates a lil in gear and not in gear and does up as i do in rpm what is it....please help???
I've got the Exedy stage 2 as well. However, no vibrations from mine, I just get an ever slight chatter during the 1-2 shift.

Did you do the install our did a shop do it?
FanOfSkynyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
This is why I NEVER have shops touch my car if I can help it. (I AM going to have Wicked do some welding in a few weeks but that is because I can't TIG for isht).

They could have:

-Removed and not re-installed the dowel pins as was already states
-Not done the flywheel as also already stated
-Left hardware loose or not used a torque wrench
-Re-used or forgot to re-install the pilot bearing

At any rate, your first, FIRST order of business when something like this happens is to pull a 180 and go directly back to the shop and make them fix it, no two ways around it. You paid for what is supposed to be a quality install and until you get it you need to be the biggest ******* possible within reason. Sometimes its just an honest mistake or "you know who" had his/her hands on the car and they'll just fix it for you and you'll be on your way.

Very worst case scenario you may have to go to another shop because taking legal action will be more expensive than getting a good shop to redo it. The best thing you can do in this case is spread word of mouth on a bad shop and hope it does enough damage where they lose business.

Also if this shop is called anything like "XTREME" or "XCLUSIVE" or "X-OTIC" or anything like that I don't feel bad for you.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #20

clutch

i got the fly wheel resurfaced at midas and i got a ford raceing pilot bearing and throw out bearing i didn't take it to a shop i had a guy who worked for chevy for like 15 years then nissan for 7 he does twin turbos and a lot of rebuilds on engines of all makes and trans swaps but now he says he couldn't possible of done anything wrong and refuse to take it back apart for free so i guess i should take it to the best transmission shop in town? and hope they actually fix the problem? thanks for the speedy reply and any info is a greatly appreciated....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just spit balling here, could it be that maybe he did not index the drive shaft and just threw it back on and now it's off balanced. Could be why vibration goes up when rpms go up
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
i got the fly wheel resurfaced at midas and i got a ford raceing pilot bearing and throw out bearing i didn't take it to a shop i had a guy who worked for chevy for like 15 years then nissan for 7 he does twin turbos and a lot of rebuilds on engines of all makes and trans swaps but now he says he couldn't possible of done anything wrong and refuse to take it back apart for free so i guess i should take it to the best transmission shop in town? and hope they actually fix the problem? thanks for the speedy reply and any info is a greatly appreciated....
Life lesson, don't pay backyard guys to do work on your car. Either learn to do it yourself or use a reputable shop, preferably a speed shop or Mustang specific shop.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #23

How do i re balance the drive shaft??? O and on the way home just now the service engine light came on so i guess tell i can hook it up to the computer hopefully that well be the problem and its a simple fix?
Ive done everything else that has ever been done to any of my 2 mustangs myself i just didn't have the cash to take it to ford. When i seen my buddy's new lift in his garage i thought it be a good idea to let him since i dont have power tools but who knows could be a exedy error are senor?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How do i re balance the drive shaft??? O and on the way home just now the service engine light came on so i guess tell i can hook it up to the computer hopefully that well be the problem and its a simple fix?
Ive done everything else that has ever been done to any of my 2 mustangs myself i just didn't have the cash to take it to ford. When i seen my buddy's new lift in his garage i thought it be a good idea to let him since i dont have power tools but who knows could be a exedy error are senor?
The drive shaft has (out should have) marks on it and where it bolts to. The factory uses paint which can wear off, i made hours with a screw driver on mine cause the paint was barely noticeable.

Not saying it is the drive shaft, but if it is, you just need to unbolt it and turn it 90 degrees I think and it should be fine.

If you have a lift throw it up there and check for the marks, they might be there and you can check for yourself.

Pull the code and post it here, could possibly be the culprit. At this point who knows. If it were me I would take it to the first reputable shop I knew and have a certified tech take a look at it
Old 10-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My driveshaft has been vibrating crazy after my gear install
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
My driveshaft has been vibrating crazy after my gear install
Could be that they didn't think of indexing it and just slapped it on any which way. I know you had a PITA dealing with the shop over your gear install, but if you feel like dealing with them again you could take it back and have them check it out
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

First thing you should do when you get the car in the air is take a dremel or a file and make reference marks so you know exactly how to put your DS back. I've got an aluminum DS in mine and the PO did the clutch 5k before I got my car and she's smooth as silk well over 100mph.

Like I said all in who does the work. Paying backyard dudes to work on your car... no.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #28

i went to autozone and the code read p0430 which reads catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 2) possible causes range from cataytic converters, air leaks in exhaust, ho2s sensor , contaminated oil, fuel pressure to high, engine miss fireing ignition timeing over retarded. i took it to a shop and he said he wants to look at the motor mounts and he wants to do an hour long diagnostics on his computer for $60 i guess his computer is alot better and he thinks his will find the problem...
Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #29

help needed!!!!

got the new clutch put in and notice the vibrating in any gear clutch in are out... the service engine light came on and read p0430 my mechanic said i am missing on the passenger side can ho2s sensor make that happen? he said to change my spark plugs and see if it all goes away but what do yall think any advise would be greatly appreciated...i love my stang and i hate her acting up..o and i do have a bassani x pipe idk if that makes a difference?
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

A bad or failing o2 sensor can cause a rough idle, bad plugs or coils can cause hesitation and/or jerking through acceleration.

O2 sensors are cheap (can be had for $25-30 each). You can start with the upstream two. However before you drop $$$, if you have a tuner that data logs, monitor bank 1 and 2 o2 volts and stfts. If the volts don't change very frequently, you could have a lazy sensor getting ready to die, it will throw off your fuel trims, leading to rough idle and bad gas mileage.

Plugs can be bought for what, $50 on AM. All in all maybe $100 for something that may or may not fix it. Up to you, either that or get a second opinion from another mechanic.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

You sure he plugged all the O2s back in? You have to drop the pipe to do the trans so it might be something that basic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT