Clutch/TOB issue? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Clutch/TOB issue?

I have some shifter noise, when I push the clutch to the floor it disappears, than bring clutch back up and it makes some noise again, not crazy noise, it's just a bit noisy..can also here TOB outside my car almost making a howling type sound when car is cold, when it warms it disappears, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Some 3650 mainshafts have a bit of a whir/subtle bearing noise to them when turning over in neutral. which goes away with the clutch fully depressed--mine has been like that since I got it, over 110k miles now, and it's not any worse just there.

If the noise subsides when you press lightly on the clutch pedal, just enough to load the TOB a bit, then it is likely the TOB starting to go. Mine started getting noisy around 95k miles, that's when I replaced it all; rear main seal, flywheel, clutch, TOB and pilot bearing...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Some 3650 mainshafts have a bit of a whir/subtle bearing noise to them when turning over in neutral--mine has been like that since I got it, over 110k miles now, not any worse just there.

If the noise subsides when you press lightly on the clutch pedal just enough to load the TOB a bit, then it is likely the TOB starting to go. Mine started getting noisy around 95k miles, that's when I replaced it all; rear main seal, flywheel, clutch, TOB and pilot bearing...
Thanks cliffy your always helpful! See its weird, when I press on the clutch just enough to load the TOB the noise doesn't go away, but it does quiet down when I push the clutch all the way to the floor, but I do read time and time again and see how noisy these 3650s can be..I've always noticed it a tad with my stock shifter, but ever since I went with a short throw, it's louder, but I also hear that's very coming for almost any type of short shifter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
Thanks cliffy your always helpful! See its weird, when I press on the clutch just enough to load the TOB the noise doesn't go away, but it does quiet down when I push the clutch all the way to the floor, but I do read time and time again and see how noisy these 3650s can be..I've always noticed it a tad with my stock shifter, but ever since I went with a short throw, it's louder, but I also hear that's very coming for almost any type of short shifter...
Yup, one of the things STSs do to get rid if the stock shifter's monkey motion is eliminate a lot of the rubber NVH stuff and create a more direct link between your hand and the shift rods--more about this here in my STS 101 blog post...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I have the 3650 and having same issue, I thought it might be the TOB
I never knew that ^

It isn't getting any worse .. The noise is just there , and Most of the time it goes away
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A lot of it is the ATF, most heavier duty transmissions have mainshaft rumble however it is masked when gear oil's of higher viscosity are used...

Old 02-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
A lot of it is the ATF, most heavier duty transmissions have mainshaft rumble however it is masked when gear oil's of higher viscosity are used...
What do you put in your 3650 cliffy? I recently did a change to MOBIL 1 ATF, didn't notice too much of a difference tho, smoothed out the 1-2 cold notch that's about it
Old 02-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
What do you put in your 3650 cliffy? I recently did a change to MOBIL 1 ATF, didn't notice too much of a difference tho, smoothed out the 1-2 cold notch that's about it
I also run Mobil 1. I ran RP Syncromax for 4 years because I could get it at cost but then that source went away and I switched to the M1--found it smoother and like you it really helped. almost eliminated, the 1-2 notch...

Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Does it happen to sound like this?

http://youtu.be/E-9MzV8lpxU

If so, I guarantee it's your TOB. Mine had the noise when I bought it (the toolbag owner before me had 20" wheels and a factory clutch with 115k miles on it so that poor thing was beyond stressed), exact same symptoms as what you described. It was not terribly loud and went away when the clutch pedal is depressed enough to engage the release bearing and pilot bearing; noisy howling when cold and calmed down to the ticking when warm. It started off very faint and got worse over a few months.
Mine was complicated by a dry shift fork and mangled pilot bearing, but the noise was from my TOB kicking around.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
I have the 3650 and having same issue, I thought it might be the TOB
I never knew that ^

It isn't getting any worse .. The noise is just there , and Most of the time it goes away
The sound is it like a ticking sound like something squeaking if so could be TOB or like me the clutch cable itself is stretched or something and is just slightly shaking and making a shaking sound I can rest my foot against the clutch and it will stop
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT