Noob 97 gt question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Region: Indiana
Noob 97 gt question

I'm looking to purchase a 97 gt convt. Question is: it's a California car with a slp cat back and bbk cold air. However it has 6 cats on it for emissions. Wondering how much that's robbing and what will be the best replacement? X or h? catted or not? Also being a convt, I'm not wanting obnoxious. Im new the mustang mod game so help is much appreciared, thanks.
Zstep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstep7 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a 97 gt convt. Question is: it's a California car with a slp cat back and bbk cold air. However it has 6 cats on it for emissions. Wondering how much that's robbing and what will be the best replacement? X or h? catted or not? Also being a convt, I'm not wanting obnoxious. Im new the mustang mod game so help is much appreciared, thanks.
Off road X pipe
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
While offroad pipe is the best performance option for your modular powered aplication they are considerably louder than catted mid pipes. H pipes are usually more dosile than the X when it comes to sound as well depending on the H's cross over pipe size. Also X pipe do give better performance over the H on your modular powered 97 gt.

Furthermore seeing as how most convertable owners are looking to cruize overly loud exhuast drone can get annoying. While im not familiar with California emissions the extra cats are definatly reducing your performance. I highly recomend Bassani exhuast for modualr engine aplications where maximum performance is desired as thats what the pros mostly use. Its more money, however it can be worth it. Buying a Bassani catted midpipe is unique from its competitors in that you can decide to install long tube headers later without having to buy another midpipe.

If upgrading to longtube headers in future does not intrest you I would suggest a BBK mid pipe. BBK while cheaper it also is more docile in sound but I recomend BBK for its fitment. I have never had a problem installing BBK exhuast parts that fit correctly the first time without modification.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Imo if its a cali car and u are in cali stay with the cats due to that ridiculous emissions laws they have. If u live like me in florida were no emissions laws are ftw no cats o/r x pipe and w/e else u want for exhaust. Word to the wise if u dont like a drone go h pipe deepee tone less of a drone depending on the rest of exhaist setup. My example is 96 gt with o/r x and dump downs i love how it sounds i just want louder lol. However x pipe while improvement over h pipe in performance gives off a raspier sound 3k and above
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #5

Region: Indiana
Thanks for the info. I'm in indiana, so it sounds like I want to go with an h pipe. Will o/r h pipe with the already in place slp cat back be to loud for the convt? Or should I go with the catted version?
Zstep7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstep7 View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm in indiana, so it sounds like I want to go with an h pipe. Will o/r h pipe with the already in place slp cat back be to loud for the convt? Or should I go with the catted version?
I personally would get the catted version. I have a convertible with an o/r x and flow masters and it got too loud for me so I can only imagine how loud it would be with slp.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Look into a mac prochamber...id take it over an h or x pipe anyday

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT