Hard time starting up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Hard time starting up

So occasionally when I go to start the car up it had to crank extra then has a weak start up. It's not all the time and when it's running it drives perfectly. I don't think it's the fuel pump because it drives just fine, just has a problem starting up... The battery has a bit of red corrosion on it but I'm pretty sure that's not what is causing it. Any ideas?

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
get the battery and charging system tested..it's free at Advance.

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
get the battery and charging system tested..it's free at Advance.
I'll do that tomorrow, there is an o'reillys and autozone right near each other I can go to. So get the battery and maybe alternator checked?

HID end all thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Your alternator shouldn't affect starting up. You can test your battery for voltage and just do a tune up. Coil pack, wires, plugs
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
While the alternator won't directly affect starting, if it is putting out low voltage it may not be charging the battery to its full potential. This can negatively affect starting. You are on the right track getting both tested. Start easy (and free) and test those first.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm hoping its nothing too bad, I can deal with replacing a battery but don't want to do something that costs a ton of $$

HID end all thread
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I am right there with you. I just rebuilt my alternator in mine and saved over a hundred bucks. It was a fun project.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Any new news about your problem?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Haven't had time to do anything. It didn't do it today though. I'll take it to autozone Thursday and have them check the battery and some other stuff... This weekend I might check the spark plugs and sea foam it.

HID end all thread
Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Alternator just charges the battery and keeps the car running. Nothing to do with start up.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok so it did it today again, it started right up the first time, and I was warming it up because it was frosted over, so I turned it off after about 5 minutes and waited a few seconds and turned it back on. That time I had to crank it a few times. I'm not an expert but it sounds like its not getting enough charge from the battery.

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Does it only do it on cold mornings? Or is it random?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Ok so it did it today again, it started right up the first time, and I was warming it up because it was frosted over, so I turned it off after about 5 minutes and waited a few seconds and turned it back on. That time I had to crank it a few times. I'm not an expert but it sounds like its not getting enough charge from the battery.
Well go get your alternator and battery checked. Cause your alternator could not be charging it or your battery is just crap if its old.
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll View Post

Well go get your alternator and battery checked. Cause your alternator could not be charging it or your battery is just crap if its old.
I'll get both checked. It does seen to happen only after I drive it for a while, turn it off then turn it on again.

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Alternator would be my first guess!.. My car did something similar not long ago, needed up needing a new alternator.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to bullitt1075
I have the same problem, every once in a while it won't want to turn over. It eight be the cobra alternator that was used on our cars.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1075 View Post
I have the same problem, every once in a while it won't want to turn over. It eight be the cobra alternator that was used on our cars.
Might, not eight
Proud owner of Bullitt #1075
bullitt1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'll get both checked, cause it could be the battery not keeping a charge... I noticed a little red corrosion on the battery.

HID end all thread
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I'll get both checked, cause it could be the battery not keeping a charge... I noticed a little red corrosion on the battery.
i would go with that the battery is no good, as in it doesnt hold any charge properly and is really low on its cranking amps. if its corroding by the terminals that means its leaking acid and surface discharging, even if the battery reads a good voltage it doesnt mean that its state of hold is good. get the battery checked out as alternator goes you can check that easily by pulling the positive connector off and seeing if the car maintains itslef alive, that would tell you that the alternator is atleast charging correctly. this is just my opinion i have seen many batteries show good voltage but be bad.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had the exact same problem and progressively got worse. Changed the Altenator and seemed to help for a short period of time and then problem came back. Got a new battery and car fired up no problem. Just buy a new battery if ur other one is old even if it's not ur problem Atleast it's one thing off the list u dont have to worry about for awhile.
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Recently had the same problem with my F150. Battery was good, alternator was good. Turned out to be my starter getting weak. When it was cool it would start right up. After driving, I would nearly drain my battery to get it started.

Your starter gets pretty hot after use and doesn't cool very fast. When it's hot bad bearings inside will bind and drag, pulling more amps to turn. This makes it seem like a weak battery.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT
Recently had the same problem with my F150. Battery was good, alternator was good. Turned out to be my starter getting weak. When it was cool it would start right up. After driving, I would nearly drain my battery to get it started.

Your starter gets pretty hot after use and doesn't cool very fast. When it's hot bad bearings inside will bind and drag, pulling more amps to turn. This makes it seem like a weak battery.
What do u mean after driving it? Like driving it, turning it off and restarting?
d_1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_1212 View Post

What do u mean after driving it? Like driving it, turning it off and restarting?
Short trips were worse, because I think for two reasons the starter was still hot and my battery hadn't been fully charged after being drained. It seemed that if my truck was warm it would turn over hard.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'll get the battery and alternator checked after school today.

HID end all thread
Old 02-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Ok so the battery and alternator are fine... I was able to get a video of whats happening so you guys can better understand it. I'm starting to think it might be the starter, but I will take all of your opinions.
Attached Files

HID end all thread
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwinta1 View Post
I am right there with you. I just rebuilt my alternator in mine and saved over a hundred bucks. It was a fun project.
Can you shoot me info on alt rebuild? I need to do it

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Ok so the battery and alternator are fine... I was able to get a video of whats happening so you guys can better understand it. I'm starting to think it might be the starter, but I will take all of your opinions.
Check the terminals make sure one of the connectors are not cracked mine was doing this and it ended up being a crack through the neg connector

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002VertGT View Post

Can you shoot me info on alt rebuild? I need to do it

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Check the terminals make sure one of the connectors are not cracked mine was doing this and it ended up being a crack through the neg connector
I'm not great with mechanics, could you break that down a little more for me? I'm pretty knowledgeable about stuff but when I have to do something it's like my brain shuts down.

HID end all thread
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I had this problem, and I could see my battery gauge, move back and forth. Changed the battery and no problems since. And this happened during the rainy season
bobsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsurvives View Post
I had this problem, and I could see my battery gauge, move back and forth. Changed the battery and no problems since. And this happened during the rainy season
I already know the battery is fine, i got that checked today. I guess after school tomorrow and this weekend i'll check all the ignition wiring and terminals... Just gotta figure out how to do that first lol.

HID end all thread
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

I'm not great with mechanics, could you break that down a little more for me? I'm pretty knowledgeable about stuff but when I have to do something it's like my brain shuts down.
Lol

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Take it to a local automotive shop
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I'm trying to do everything without spending a whole ton of money, being in HS making $300 a month (in a good month) doesn't leave much room to breathe when stuff happens.

HID end all thread
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

2002VertGT Message sent. It wasn't a bad job at all. The hardes part was soldering the huge terminals on the rectifier/diode assembly.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post

What are the symptoms if the starter is bad? While the car has new replace battery and alternator ?
Siendly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siendly22 View Post

What are the symptoms if the starter is bad? While the car has new replace battery and alternator ?
Here is what was going on with me. Out of the blue one day as I was starting my truck, the starter made a little hesitation. Like it got stuck for a second. Then my motor turned over super slow just before starting. I drive to the gas station about 5 min away. Got gas and jumped in to start. It did the same thing. This went on for a week and slowly got worse. I figured it was my battery. I cleaned and tightened terminals, went to NAPA and had my alternator checked, was good. They checked the battery and it was a bit low but not terrible. Was coming up on winter so I purchased a battery anyway. The problem got better but was still there. Eventually it got cold and every time I would turn over the starter it would get to that one spot and almost kill my battery. If it was really cold it wouldn't start at all (Thank god for nice people) I immediately replaced the starter. Now she starts right up. Matter a fact it was -37 here the other day. She sat outside all night and in the morning turned over a couple if times and popped right off. You can pull your starter and have it tested. But I figured for $90 I'd just gamble. It's a 96 and probably needs a lot of new things. But it's my winter beater so..... I don't fix it unless I need to. Money is better spent on the stang.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had a similar starting problem and autozone said my alternator had a bad diode in it. There is a rebuild kit but I just bought a new one from eBay for I think 89. Pm me and I'll look for the company name and give you the info. New alternator works great and no more hard starts.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #35
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Alternators good, battery is good, anyone else have any ideas about my problem?

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« CAI | Exhaust Leak? »