Trans Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Trans Question

I've got a 2002 with the 5 speed. This is my first manual trans so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. When i'm putting the car in gear, mainly into 1st from a complete stop, sometimes it slides in smooth as butter. And other times i feel like it clicks into gear. I have this nagging feeling that it's maybe a bent or damaged fork. The other gears do it once in awhile too, but not enough to be noticeable. What do you guys think? If it is a damaged fork, what rough estimate would you think i'd need to pay to have it fixed?
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I've got a 2002 with the 5 speed. This is my first manual trans so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. When i'm putting the car in gear, mainly into 1st from a complete stop, sometimes it slides in smooth as butter. And other times i feel like it clicks into gear. I have this nagging feeling that it's maybe a bent or damaged fork. The other gears do it once in awhile too, but not enough to be noticeable. What do you guys think? If it is a damaged fork, what rough estimate would you think i'd need to pay to have it fixed?
Are you talking about 1st gear only? Or are you talking about all gears? FYI if its a bent fork, just replace the whole clutch. Atleast that's what I did.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
nickysixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It's most noticeable going into first gear, but i do feel it occasionally when going 1st to second. Like i said, it isn't like it does it all the time. Sometime it goes in effortlessly. And other times it feels like a sort of click, and then it goes in. It's two totally different feelings. And i've never driven manual prior to this, so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. Also, i've already planned on replacing the clutch, just need to save up a couple paychecks. With this being the car i'm learning in, i cannot imagine the hell that i've put it through. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's most noticeable going into first gear, but i do feel it occasionally when going 1st to second. Like i said, it isn't like it does it all the time. Sometime it goes in effortlessly. And other times it feels like a sort of click, and then it goes in. It's two totally different feelings. And i've never driven manual prior to this, so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. Also, i've already planned on replacing the clutch, just need to save up a couple paychecks. With this being the car i'm learning in, i cannot imagine the hell that i've put it through. lol
Mine does the same thing. You should be alright. I think it's your car not fully engaging but mine has done it for ever. Just make sure you don't downshift into first
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
If you are at a higher rate of speed, my 97 cobra was that way. I was told it had a "lockout" type mechanism that would keep you from downshifting that far as the car would be at really dangerous rpm levels. I kinda thought it made sense but never knew if it was true or not (probably not lol) but I really did make sense and I rolled with it. I just waited until I was stopped to get first.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
If you are at a higher rate of speed, my 97 cobra was that way. I was told it had a "lockout" type mechanism that would keep you from downshifting that far as the car would be at really dangerous rpm levels. I kinda thought it made sense but never knew if it was true or not (probably not lol) but I really did make sense and I rolled with it. I just waited until I was stopped to get first.
+1 I can't downshift to 1st unless at a dead stop, I can probably force it in to downshift at 10 mph or so but tranny makes god awful NOOOOOOOO noise lol..
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

+1 I can't downshift to 1st unless at a dead stop, I can probably force it in to downshift at 10 mph or so but tranny makes god awful NOOOOOOOO noise lol..
Your not supposed to ever shift into first or reverse unless at a stop.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post

+1
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickysixx View Post

Exactly.
First isn't really designed to be a rolling gear. It's only for getting going and it's useless after you're above 5-10.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, i should've mentioned that it's when at a complete stop. Well if it doesn't seem abnormal, i guess my wallet owes you gentlemen a thank you.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yeah, i should've mentioned that it's when at a complete stop. Well if it doesn't seem abnormal, i guess my wallet owes you gentlemen a thank you.
Lol! We will take cash. No jk. Glad to help.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Mine would give me problems in 1st and reverse from a stop. I got a new clutch and it was fine completely went away. I summed it up to be a stretched clutch cable causing the clutch to not completely disengage.
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not entirely sure if its fully engaging or not. So I'm thinking that's the first thing I'm going to do with this car. Is it required to replace the flywheel also after a clutch replacement, or do they just need to resurface it? I might just buy a new one regardless just curious though.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If you replace your clutch or cable after about 3-4 days of driving it, you should then re adjust your cable. Once the car gets hot and once that cable breaks in the clutch does not fully engage and your clutch will roast from it.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not entirely sure if its fully engaging or not. So I'm thinking that's the first thing I'm going to do with this car. Is it required to replace the flywheel also after a clutch replacement, or do they just need to resurface it? I might just buy a new one regardless just curious though.
You can have your flywheel resurfaced as well as replaced.
1997 Mustang V6 (sold)
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Are you guys running the stock POS plastic quadrant? I am and I'm pretty sure that is contributing to most clutch problems
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I Switch to the American muscle metal quad and its a huge difference I did that before I even touched my clutch it takes all the dead space out
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT