Rpm problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Rpm problem

The car idols fine and it drives fine this is a 99 GT 5 speed.. When you're slowing down in it the Rpms jump from 1k to almost 0 sometimes it dies and some it doesn't.. It only does this when you're driving and put your foot on the clutch to start slowing down.. Any advice?
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
Hi, check all your vacuum lines. also check the TPS, IAC. You should be able to clean the IAC.Check for carbon build up on it
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
Hi, check all your vacuum lines. also check the TPS, IAC. You should be able to clean the IAC.Check for carbon build up on it
Thanks tony.. Where can I find the line? This is my first muscle car, I just got it 3 days ago I've always owned trucks.
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996v6stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San diego
Region: California
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th GT View Post

Thanks tony.. Where can I find the line? This is my first muscle car, I just got it 3 days ago I've always owned trucks.
Congrats on ur first stang, hope she quits bein a pita lmao
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post

Congrats on ur first stang, hope she quits bein a pita lmao
I know that's right.. It's got tons of power.. it has a steda tri axe shifter, F-1 Clutch, 373 gears, intake, Pulleys, Mac Headers, Slp loud mouth exhaust, drilled rotors, 75mm throttle body, 42lb injectors, supercharged but the charger is burnt up, still running the inter cooler with a air filter lol
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mfore33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Murfreesboro
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 540
+1 on the iac
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
jjsg09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,224
This is it. Take it off clean it you should be golden.


Name:   iac-valve-4-6.jpeg
Views: 406
Size:  9.9 KB
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
This is it. Take it off clean it you should be golden.
Thank you very much! I'm going to try that in a few

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
+1 on the iac
I see a lot of y'all post +1.. I'm new to this site.. What's that mean?
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th GT View Post

Thank you very much! I'm going to try that in a few

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------



I see a lot of y'all post +1.. I'm new to this site.. What's that mean?
+1 essentially means "I agree"
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post

+1 essentially means "I agree"
Ok thanks
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
bingo the IAC (idle bypass valve) acts up more so in the cold weather as it gets older. Clean it good and try it, if it acts up but its better then replace it, if its good after cleaning go about your driving.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
bingo the IAC (idle bypass valve) acts up more so in the cold weather as it gets older. Clean it good and try it, if it acts up but its better then replace it, if its good after cleaning go about your driving.
Thank you
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slow4V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th GT View Post
The car idols fine and it drives fine this is a 99 GT 5 speed.. When you're slowing down in it the Rpms jump from 1k to almost 0 sometimes it dies and some it doesn't.. It only does this when you're driving and put your foot on the clutch to start slowing down.. Any advice?
IAC is bad
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post

IAC is bad
Ok.. It's got a hose running from it to my supercharger pipe.. Could that be a problem?
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
1996mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th GT View Post

Ok.. It's got a hose running from it to my supercharger pipe.. Could that be a problem?
No the iac itself would be the issue on this one yhe hose is where it gets air from to go intp the intake to keep it at idle
__________________
1996 Mustang GT, 17x9 front and 17x10.5 cobra r replica rims, 255/40/17 front 285/40/17 rear at the moment,
o/r x-pipe flow master 40 series dump downs, cai/ram intake, 75mm c&l throttle body and plenum, pi heads and intake swap, msd wires, stock gears, untuned at the moment, no dyno numbers for now.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996mustang View Post

No the iac itself would be the issue on this one yhe hose is where it gets air from to go intp the intake to keep it at idle
Ok.. Will give that a shot thanks
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
Rpm problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th GT View Post
Ok.. Will give that a shot thanks
Hi, sorry i did not post pics.Did you get problem solved?
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
Hi, sorry i did not post pics.Did you get problem solved?
Not yet.. I'm being told its 3 different things, I'm checking the throttle position sensor, iac valve and other lines... I may just replace them all?
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
hi, first check all the rubber hose/lines for any cracks ,holes. etc Then take off the IAC. Clean the inside with a tooth brush. i used brake cleaner to clean mine with. wipe off as much film ,carbon as you can. let it air dry or blow off with air tank. i would not recommend just buying parts. until you first find/ id the issue/problem . can you post pics of your engine?
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
hi, first check all the rubber hose/lines for any cracks ,holes. etc Then take off the IAC. Clean the inside with a tooth brush. i used brake cleaner to clean mine with. wipe off as much film ,carbon as you can. let it air dry or blow off with air tank. i would not recommend just buying parts. until you first find/ id the issue/problem . can you post pics of your engine?
I have one of the engine on my profile
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
Rpm problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
This is it. Take it off clean it you should be golden.

Attachment 92299
This is the IAC .Should have 2 bolts and a 1electrical plug, gasket.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
35th GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Campti
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd01gt View Post
This is the IAC .Should have 2 bolts and a 1electrical plug, gasket.
Got it fixed.. It was a line that plugs into the thing next to the IAC.. It was out a little.. I went through and looked at the whole motor, I guess it came out when I gunned the car the other day .. Thanks man for helping me and thanks to everyone else!
35th GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
OK, glad i could help.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:25 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.