AODE shudder - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #1

Region: Australia
AODE shudder

Hi guys,
I have Mustang SN95 GT, with an AODE transmission. At around 60kms (38 mph) in Drive, it has what is termed "cattle grid" shudder. Here in Australia, where I am, there is very little knowledge on these transmissions. This Mustang is in immaculate condition, having only 22000 kms (13664 miles), on the clock; so what can be so terribly wrong. It is worse when it gets hot, and I don't know if further damage can result by using it. It has been said that changing the oil can help, but no-one really knows. Can someone with good knowledge on these transmissions, please steer me in the right direction, as I treasure my Mustang and wouldn't want a disaster.
Many thanks in the hope......Terry
Aussiemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have a 2000 mustang gt with the auto/overdrive trans. Mine shifts into od around 40 mph under normal acceleration. It could be that the od clutches are worn out and slipping not letting the od gear catch.. You could try and replace the fluid and filter. If the car sat around not being driven for a long time then the pump in the trans might have rotted seals. Also there is a solenoid in the trans that might be bad.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ok with 13k miles or 22k kms doubt that it would be a tranny issue. But since u said it gets worse when hot then it may be fluids. Start by checking the level of tranny fluid and also check your differential level. A shudder can also be the rear end low on fluid. Also check to see if the fluid is burnt or has a burnt smell to it as well as metal flaking in the fluids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just a thought has the car ever been wrecked? Also check the driveshaft. The u joints could be bad causing driveshaft wobble. Easy fix. Check transmission mount is in good shape. Does the car shift through the gears smooth? Jack the rear up and put it in gear and see if you still get the vibration. That would eliminate bearings in the wheels. My dad ran over some debris in the road in his 97 thunderbird and bent his driveshaft ever so slightly but you could feel a wobble at speed. Are you 100% sure that the engine is not missing at that speed? That would cause the whole car to shake like that if a coil or 2 were bad. I've had coils run ok at idle but didn't have enough spark at throttle and it would cause a misfire.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT