Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Auto to manual swap

2K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Calandro 
#1 ·
Any idea on how much it would cost for me to take my 04 gt to a shop and do a transmission swap?

#20 ·
On the sct you go threw the menu and it gives you options to adjust to... my 99 has a shift pack in it and a tuner with the shift points messed with and when this car shifts and your on the throttle you def know it shifted... i hate automatic also but this car makes auto fun if i want to mess around... my old fox body i made it 5 speed it wasnt hard to change at all i got the trans fly wheel, clutch, pedals shifter, clutch cable and that's it... easy swap and lots of fun

#24 ·
Just FYI, you are lucky to have an 04 auto with the upgraded 4r75w transmission. With a $60 mod called the J-mod you can REALLY firm up the shifts to the point of barking 2nd if you stomp on it. Autos are faster in a straight line and that is just fact, however there is just something about banging gears. You can also pull the trans and throw an aftermarket stall converter in there to REALLY wake up your launches. There is ALSO the option of putting a full manual valve body in with a ratchet shifter if you want to be in full control.

Anyway if you are dead set on a manual swap you need:

-99/00 T-45 or a 3650
-Shifter
-Pedal assy, clutch quadrant/cable
-6 bolt flywheel
-Clutch
-5 spd driveshaft or aluminum driveshaft
-5 spd computer if you don't want to tune out the auto but make sure you get the PATS keys too if you get a new comp

After that its a pretty simple dropping of the old trans/converter/flexplate and installing the 5 spd stuff in its place. If you've ever pulled a trans before you can do this swap.

#26 ·
You can tune the auto computer to be fine with a manual but not the other way around. Unless you do the full manual valve body that is. With that, as far as the car is concerned, its still a manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.