Calculations - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Calculations

Found this in an advanced supercharger mechanics book, thought you guys might find it useful. It was pretty accurate for me.

The 5.825 is a constant used for both. The 2700 number in the first one is curb weight. Just wanted to clarify, it may have been a little cut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-13729887.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	589.0 KB
ID:	94249  
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I think this hp was measured as hp @ the flywheel.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sorry could you explain these calculations a little more?
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Very cool.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
Sorry could you explain these calculations a little more?
For the first one, if you know your curb weight and your quarter mile time, you use that formula to find your approx. hp.
The 2nd one is the inverse, if you know your curb weight and hp, you can find your approx. quarter mile time. These will vary a little because of factors like gears and better tires. But it's still pretty cool if you ask me.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Huge variables at play with these kind of charts. On most cars built for pure 1/4 mile performance the tires/gears/suspension setup are worth well over 2 full seconds in ET when combined together and thats aside from power and weight. There are even more variables as well due to power band differences across the rpm range as well as the large variable of torque. However as some will realize that their numbers may be compairable as you continue to modify your vehicles you will notice more and more how these kinds of charts not compairable to your numbers.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Huge variables at play with these kind of charts. On most cars built for pure 1/4 mile performance the tires/gears/suspension setup are worth well over 2 full seconds in ET when combined together and thats aside from power and weight. There are even more variables as well due to power band differences across the rpm range as well as the large variable of torque. However as some will realize that their numbers may be compairable as you continue to modify your vehicles you will notice more and more how these kinds of charts not compairable to your numbers.
This is better for slightly modded or stock cars, I agree suspension and tires and gears play a huge role. Still pretty cool to me that you can estimate things like that. You can always take off a little time to account for suspension and the like.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

True you can try to account for it but to my knowledge there is no true formula yet for this type of calculation. The more heavily modified your car is the less accurate this type of a formula will be.

Cars can break the simple laws of physics as I pointed out to my science teacher when I was in highschool. My teacher said if you have 2 cars that are exaclty alike in every way except one is lighter then the lighter car will be faster because it takes less effort to move it. I protested. True most of the time sure, however you have another variable of traction asisted by gravity. It is possible to reach the point where with the power levels you have and limitation to your suspension type and tire size your car may be faster with more weight to add traction. Furthermore if you think about it there is no such thing as exactly the same car they can be the same but never will they be exact. The list of variable you can have that can hurt and help performance are so great and so complicated in mathematical terms that the calculators are completely obsolete and in my mind and are nothing more than a guess.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
True you can try to account for it but to my knowledge there is no true formula yet for this type of calculation. The more heavily modified your car is the less accurate this type of a formula will be.

Cars can break the simple laws of physics as I pointed out to my science teacher when I was in highschool. My teacher said if you have 2 cars that are exaclty alike in every way except one is lighter then the lighter car will be faster because it takes less effort to move it. I protested. True most of the time sure, however you have another variable of traction asisted by gravity. It is possible to reach the point where with the power levels you have and limitation to your suspension type and tire size your car may be faster with more weight to add traction. Furthermore if you think about it there is no such thing as exactly the same car they can be the same but never will they be exact. The list of variable you can have that can hurt and help performance are so great and so complicated in mathematical terms that the calculators are completely obsolete and in my mind and are nothing more than a guess.
This is very true. But I still like having the ball park figure lol
Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
according to that I need 550hp (3780lbs) to run 11.1 in the quarter, and I am about 575~ but... honestly I wouldnt run that without great traction (they dont really have anything in there for traction etc)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Spector, I just realized you live not too far from me lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT