2004 mach 1 vs. 2004 svt cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2004 mach 1 vs. 2004 svt cobra

Just curious because I've looked into both the cobra and mach 1 but is there really any difference at all besides the cobra having a supercharger stock? I see there's a huge difference in HP but I'm assuming its because of the super charger. Thanks guys
Michaelgranlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Cobra has IRS , T56 (6spd) , Interior, Exterior , Forged Internals , lower compression , Obviously better fuel pump and system , Etc.

Mach 1 5 SPD do come with forged crankshaft though
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Cobra has IRS , T56 (6spd) , Interior, Exterior , Forged Internals , lower compression , Obviously better fuel pump and system , Etc.

Mach 1 5 SPD do come with forged crankshaft though
Ok so I'm assuming all around cobra is better but statistically I was looking them both up their 0-60 and 1/4 mile time wasnt as drastically different as I would think between a difference of 80 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Stock for stock the cobra is better, but not alot of people keep the cars stock and that's where the cobra has the advantage
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Stock for stock the cobra is better, but not alot of people keep the cars stock and that's where the cobra has the advantage
Yeah I'm just wondering what the big difference is stock for an 04 cobra and mach 1 for daily drivers that want to be able to race lame "ricers" I saw an article by ford saying the cobra torque was ridiculous for daily drivers And mach 1 is practically the same speed wise but is able to be a cruising around car and for both of them there aren't many cars that can beat it.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Like in what ways is it better?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Power wise bolts ons will increase the hp on the cobra drastically. Pulley, full exhaust, intake, and tune wil get you 500hp
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Power wise bolts ons will increase the hp on the cobra drastically. Pulley, full exhaust, intake, and tune wil get you 500hp
Ok well I'm only asking because I was planning on getting a mach before I go into college and sell my car and the price between a mach and a cobra is pretty drastic for what I'm looking at (mach being 12-13k cobra being 17-20k) and if it honestly is that big of a difference I do want my dream mustang to be as powerful and fast as possible. Thanks man 👍
Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgranlund View Post

Ok well I'm only asking because I was planning on getting a mach before I go into college and sell my car and the price between a mach and a cobra is pretty drastic for what I'm looking at (mach being 12-13k cobra being 17-20k) and if it honestly is that big of a difference I do want my dream mustang to be as powerful and fast as possible. Thanks man ddc4d
I haven't owned either but if you can save up and get a good deal then go for a cobra. What car do you have and what are you're mods?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I haven't owned either but if you can save up and get a good deal then go for a cobra. What car do you have and what are you're mods?
Oh I just have a v6 99 that I've had for about 8 months now and I love it I've always loved mustangs because my dad had an old 98 cobra when I was just a kid. I haven't done anything to it besides improving its appearance because I got it cheap because its my first car for $4700 and it had really bad sun damage so I got a full color swap and fixed up interior with "new" seats (pick n pull) I was looking into a tuner for 450 but I decided to save my money to save up for my next mustang because even if I get it all tuned out it will still be a v6
Old 03-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh I just have a v6 99 that I've had for about 8 months now and I love it I've always loved mustangs because my dad had an old 98 cobra when I was just a kid. I haven't done anything to it besides improving its appearance because I got it cheap because its my first car for $4700 and it had really bad sun damage so I got a full color swap and fixed up interior with "new" seats (pick n pull) I was looking into a tuner for 450 but I decided to save my money to save up for my next mustang because even if I get it all tuned out it will still be a v6
I was in the same boat you are in. My first mustang was when I was 18 a 99 v6, I put mostly appearance mods to it, had it for a little over a year, then sold it for a gt then sold it and now have a cobra. If you're looking for a faster mustang then what I would suggest from personal experience is to stop putting money into the one you have now and save up towards the one you want.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was in the same boat you are in. My first mustang was when I was 18 a 99 v6, I put mostly appearance mods to it, had it for a little over a year, then sold it for a gt then sold it and now have a cobra. If you're looking for a faster mustang then what I would suggest from personal experience is to stop putting money into the one you have now and save up towards the one you want.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing I pretty much did the bare minimum just to make it pretty then ill end up selling it in the next year and then get my 04 mach 1 or cobra whatever one has the best deal and since my parents agreed to match my price for a graduation present ill have a wider range so most likely a cobra If I really like it
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing I pretty much did the bare minimum just to make it pretty then ill end up selling it in the next year and then get my 04 mach 1 or cobra whatever one has the best deal and since my parents agreed to match my price for a graduation present ill have a wider range so most likely a cobra If I really like it
That's good! Just keep it simple and when you sell it don't rush to buy a new car. I will sell my cobra as well and then buy a terminator probably next year. But good luck with everything!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's good! Just keep it simple and when you sell it don't rush to buy a new car. I will sell my cobra as well and then buy a terminator probably next year. But good luck with everything!
Thanks you too! I loveee terminators such nicee cars
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the advantage in easy hp/tq is the key here. The 03/04 cobra will take 600rwhp daily and be fine, more will also be attainable (without going into the motor at all) but most say 600-650 is the sweet spot to maintain saftey over time.

The 03/04 cobra stock is actually over 400hp, they dyno about 360/360 stock which is way over the est 390 from the factory. They are just heavy, 3660lbs for coupe and 3780 for vert.... and front end heavy with cast iron block and supercharger weight along with IRS rear end weight.

For a simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust expect 450-470rwhp over the stock 360 when going to a 2.93 pulley vs 3.65 stock supercharger pulley (8psi to 12-14). Most do not require any other mods (other than the tune required) for this, some may need maf or a fuel pump boost.... but thats usually reserved for more than the 2.93 pulley swap.

They suffer from wheel hop, but lower springs (stiffer ones) and such with sticky and bigger tires fix most of this. The bushings are crap for the IRS so swaping to delrin helps a ton here to clean up the slop of the IRS, but the ride is good

The sound of the stock eaton m112 supercharger when you get on it is enough for most, also check my sig for my dyno... they make CRAZY tq down low and all the way across the power band that = fun.

Finally they are 6 speeds vs 5 speed mach 1's and will hold their value better over time I feel..... and the motors were hand built on the niche line at ford by two builders who stamp the valve cover, not so on the mach or previous cobras.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Cobra all the way.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the advantage in easy hp/tq is the key here. The 03/04 cobra will take 600rwhp daily and be fine, more will also be attainable (without going into the motor at all) but most say 600-650 is the sweet spot to maintain saftey over time.

The 03/04 cobra stock is actually over 400hp, they dyno about 360/360 stock which is way over the est 390 from the factory. They are just heavy, 3660lbs for coupe and 3780 for vert.... and front end heavy with cast iron block and supercharger weight along with IRS rear end weight.

For a simple pulley swap, intake, exhaust expect 450-470rwhp over the stock 360 when going to a 2.93 pulley vs 3.65 stock supercharger pulley (8psi to 12-14). Most do not require any other mods (other than the tune required) for this, some may need maf or a fuel pump boost.... but thats usually reserved for more than the 2.93 pulley swap.

They suffer from wheel hop, but lower springs (stiffer ones) and such with sticky and bigger tires fix most of this. The bushings are crap for the IRS so swaping to delrin helps a ton here to clean up the slop of the IRS, but the ride is good

The sound of the stock eaton m112 supercharger when you get on it is enough for most, also check my sig for my dyno... they make CRAZY tq down low and all the way across the power band that = fun.

Finally they are 6 speeds vs 5 speed mach 1's and will hold their value better over time I feel..... and the motors were hand built on the niche line at ford by two builders who stamp the valve cover, not so on the mach or previous cobras.
Well that was a lot of information hahahaha what about luxury and interior? Obviously Im not going to be buying either car because I love luxury but how would the interior differ?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well that was a lot of information hahahaha what about luxury and interior? Obviously Im not going to be buying either car because I love luxury but how would the interior differ?
Mach 1 Interior looks better IMO
Unless its a 04 cobra with red and black interior
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Cobra has suede seats and white gauges
Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgranlund

The factory 03/04 cobra seats are by far the best seats ever put in a mustang. The new leather recaro's are a close second.

They also aren't suede, they are alcantera and the leather is much better quality than the other models.
Our's:
Old 03-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

I like the Mach 1 interior better too.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

I like the Mach 1 interior better too.
Haha I was just waiting for you to comment buddy. But trust me no matter how much I would want a cobra if I saw a mach 1 with yours id most definitely get it
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Haha I was just waiting for you to comment buddy. But trust me no matter how much I would want a cobra if I saw a mach 1 with yours id most definitely get it
Thanks! No doubts though, 03-04 Cobra's are in a class of their own.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Thanks! No doubts though, 03-04 Cobra's are in a class of their own.
Ehhhh but I'm sure your mach could keep up haha
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

The factory 03/04 cobra seats are by far the best seats ever put in a mustang. The new leather recaro's are a close second.

They also aren't suede, they are alcantera and the leather is much better quality than the other models.
Oh wow I didn't know that. That's probably why they're so expensive on CL

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Quote:

I love red on black leather seats. Best combination. Also blue and white
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Oh wow I didn't know that. That's probably why they're so expensive on CL

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I love red on black leather seats. Best combination. Also blue and white
If you want the red interior it will have to be a 2003 with the 10th anniversary package. Only available in torch red, satin silver and black. Red seat inserts, door inserts and a special shift knob and steering wheel.
Our's:
Old 03-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The cobra is bullet proof and the Mach isnt... in a nut shell thats the way i compare the two. Also remember the total and final expense of a vehicle is not felt or completed so to speak until you sell that said vehicle. What im saying is lets say you pay 18k for a cobra and 3 years down the road its time to sell and you get 14k for her VS you buy a mach for 13k and in that same time you sell her for 8k. Well the machs final expense turned out to be more money. So sometimes its best to lean towards the car with the best residual value. Now my numbers are all hypothetical ofcourse but just trying to make my point that residual value is sometimes more of an important factor for your finances vs the original purchase price of a car. But either way i dont think you can go wrong, they both are great cars
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post
The cobra is bullet proof and the Mach isnt... in a nut shell thats the way i compare the two. Also remember the total and final expense of a vehicle is not felt or completed so to speak until you sell that said vehicle. What im saying is lets say you pay 18k for a cobra and 3 years down the road its time to sell and you get 14k for her VS you buy a mach for 13k and in that same time you sell her for 8k. Well the machs final expense turned out to be more money. So sometimes its best to lean towards the car with the best residual value. Now my numbers are all hypothetical ofcourse but just trying to make my point that residual value is sometimes more of an important factor for your finances vs the original purchase price of a car. But either way i dont think you can go wrong, they both are great cars
What's better for a daily driver? That's all I need to know I get the cobra is better. I don't believe it's $8,000 better though
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

What's better for a daily driver? That's all I need to know I get the cobra is better. I don't believe it's $8,000 better though
It's worth every penny and perfectly fine for a dd.
Our's:
Old 03-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

It's worth every penny and perfectly fine for a dd.
Hmmm would it win a 1/4 mile race against an 06 gt...
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Hmmm would it win a 1/4 mile race against an 06 gt...
It rapes the 3v all day
Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

It rapes the 3v all day
+1, lighter and more powerful. Gotta love termis
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

It rapes the 3v all day
Awesome. That's enough reason for me haha thanks everyone for the information
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Awesome. That's enough reason for me haha thanks everyone for the information
Yeh, that's not even a close race.
Our's:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Tags
svt

« Turbo set up | gear »