Automatic tranny - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Automatic tranny

Anyone out there done a manual tranny to a auto tranny swap?
Brake.handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There's a couple of people here that have done im sure they will chime in
Old 03-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Not to hate but why? Lol
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Trying to set my car up for drag strip and it seems that my buddy with an auto can get better times than I can with a 5 speed
Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
What? Might be driver ........
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post
What? Might be driver ........
Your typical stock, bolt on 4.6/5.0 with a stock auto vs a stock manual...the manual will win out. HOWEVER, a built auto, with a better converter, shift kit, ect, designed for drag racing in equal cars probably would be slightly faster then a manual.
The faster drag cars, very few of them are running regularly designed 4/5 spds. Most I see have AUTOS
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I hate automatic but when i seen my car sitting at the dealership i fell in love the first time i looked in the window i seen it was auto.. i walked away disappointed the next day on the way home from work i stopped again and the salesman came out ask if i wanted to take it for a ride.. i was hesitant cause the auto and he told me this thing shift real firm.. so i took it out and, well that car sits in my driveway now.. this trans has a shift pack in it and then i got a tuner on top of that to mess with the shifting pressures or whatever and this thing will run with any manual car.. so yea i agree with whoever said a built auto is good... my car will hit third gear if im on it nice
sam minnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That is what my buddy gots a built automatic tranny is it runs super well that is why I thought about changing my stang from manual to auto and was just wondering if any of you have done it
Old 04-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Im getting set up now to do the swap what you wanna know
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I did auto to manual swap and love it and everything's fine with it. Just need to get rid of all the auto parts now
Top stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top stang View Post
I did auto to manual swap and love it and everything's fine with it. Just need to get rid of all the auto parts now
Op is referring to swapping from Manual to Auto
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I thought a auto would always beat a manual on the drag
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Everything being equal at or close to equal, the auto will win. And win big. I'm talking about a j-modded 4r with a stall vs a 5 spd car, not a bone stock auto vs a stick and not cars running like... 13s or 14s I'm talking faster cars. Guys in the 10s with a stick switching to auto will drop over half a second or more just going auto everything else being equal.

I'm assuming you have a 96-98 from your avatar but if you have a 99-04 it'll be easier to do the swap. Like a LOT easier.

I was going to do this swap myself, then got a relatively short deployment notice so selling it all and I'll re-assess when I get back... probably just going to stay stick with a Cobra T56 and set the car up for road racing which was my original plan anyway.

What I learned:

To have the computer shift to keep up with a car in the low 10s/high 9s, you need to convert completely to a 99-04 harness setup (whole car except maybe the body harness) and run a 03/04 Mach 1 SYM2 computer. Or get a standalone.

To avoid that issue, get a manual valve body and shift yourself like a manual but no clutch and all the benefits of the auto for straight line.

A stock 4r70w with a J-mod will do 500/500 no problem all day, a 4r75w will do more.

To make your speedo work properly, you need a late 97-early 00 trans that has the vss port. The 99/00 transmissions have a blocker plug over the VSS port but its still there. Or get a 01-up trans and use a speedcal to convert. FYI, the 4r75w uses a 24 pulse OSS wheel vs the 6 pulse in the 03-down 4r70ws.

More stuff but that is the basics. I actually have a PI 3500 stall converter still for sale from parts I bought for my cancelled swap if you are interested but anyway, yeah that is the basic stuff...

Oh, don't use the B&M hammer, get a good ratchet or gate style shifter and mount it under the ashtray/cupholder location. A guy on Modular Fords makes billet shifter plates for the 01-04 consoles, there are group buys for those pretty regularly over there.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT