Help please? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Few weeks ago my car started making a loud grinding/squeaking sound when the wheel would cut too far to the side, or if i go over a bump in the road. It comes from the front drivers side wheel well. Or in that general area, cannot really pinpoint it. It has gotten to the point of being terrible, and i'm pissed off because i just bought the car last month. SO, if any of you fellas would like to get me started on the right path to fixing this, i would thank you kindly. P.S. i might be able to get a video of the squeaking/grinding tomorrow if absolutely necessary, like i said if i cut the wheel even a little bit, it gets extremely loud, or when the car bounces. It had previously been squealing when i would exit the car also. Thanks guys. Also i know there was just a thread on this. And i did not want to thread jack his thread, plus i couldn't find it.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Few weeks ago my car started making a loud grinding/squeaking sound when the wheel would cut too far to the side, or if i go over a bump in the road. It comes from the front drivers side wheel well. Or in that general area, cannot really pinpoint it. It has gotten to the point of being terrible, and i'm pissed off because i just bought the car last month. SO, if any of you fellas would like to get me started on the right path to fixing this, i would thank you kindly. P.S. i might be able to get a video of the squeaking/grinding tomorrow if absolutely necessary, like i said if i cut the wheel even a little bit, it gets extremely loud, or when the car bounces. It had previously been squealing when i would exit the car also. Thanks guys. Also i know there was just a thread on this. And i did not want to thread jack his thread, plus i couldn't find it.
Hmmm..sounds like bearings i would just need a pic rather then video to help
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I know close to nothing about cars, so tell me which bearing you think are bad, and i'll find it, and snap some photos. How do i tell if they're bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
Hmmm..sounds like bearings i would just need a pic rather then video to help
^^^ +1 ^^^

Just by your discription it's sounds like it is the Front axle bearing! And if is, you need to replace Both. Right and leftside. You need to get them done soon. You can't put those off.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Sounds like powersteering pump

It's on driver side too
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V
Sounds like powersteering pump

It's on driver side too
See, i had that sneaking suspicion also, but would it make the sound after hitting a bump also? I was also able to recreate the sound by pushing on the front fender. Not even that hard actually. The car will be parked until i can get it to a shop. Luckily tomorrow is payday. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Any of you gentlemen want to throw out a rough estimate as to what this may cost to repair? I'm not looking for an exact amount. Just a rough estimate.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See, i had that sneaking suspicion also, but would it make the sound after hitting a bump also? I was also able to recreate the sound by pushing on the front fender. Not even that hard actually. The car will be parked until i can get it to a shop. Luckily tomorrow is payday. Hopefully it won't cost more than a couple hundred bucks. Any of you gentlemen want to throw out a rough estimate as to what this may cost to repair? I'm not looking for an exact amount. Just a rough estimate.
Easy way to tell the difference is park the car and turn the steering ...if there's no noise then drive it and.then turn the steering and if it makes noise then its bearings.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Everything your explaining is what i got going on. When I'm parked i do the same pushing on the fender i greased everything up i could and it went away came back maybe a day later ,if you find out please let me know id really appreciate it man
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich04

Everything your explaining is what i got going on. When I'm parked i do the same pushing on the fender i greased everything up i could and it went away came back maybe a day later ,if you find out please let me know id really appreciate it man
Your thread is the thread i didn't want to jack. LOL. And also, i can be at a stand still, turn the wheel, and it will creak. I can roll a bit, and it will creak. Hell, sometimes if i accelerate too hard it will creak. /:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Is it a creak or a whining noise??
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Your thread is the thread i didn't want to jack. LOL. And also, i can be at a stand still, turn the wheel, and it will creak. I can roll a bit, and it will creak. Hell, sometimes if i accelerate too hard it will creak. /:
Yeah i hada feeling, all the same here i haven't even had time to check it out, I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and if i find my problem ill let you know for sure!
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13
Is it a creak or a whining noise??
It is like a loud creak. Like straight up rusty door hinge creak. At least thats what it sounds like to me.

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich04

Yeah i hada feeling, all the same here i haven't even had time to check it out, I'm gonna take a look tomorrow and if i find my problem ill let you know for sure!
And same for you, if i end up finding out what this annoyance is, i will let you know aswell. I might get a chance to look at the car tomorrow night.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Kinda sounds like ur describing what my car did when the ball joints were bad.
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well an update. I work long hours on weekends and don't have time to look at the car. My dad is a retired mechanic of 40+ years, so i had him look at it for me. He cannot tell if it's a ball joint or one of the struts. But he did notice that the ball joints aren't grease-able? In my V6 they were. Sohe's guessing that they went bad previously, and were replaced. So i'm going to bring it to a local mechanic. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Oem balljoints in mustang are non greasble. Replacements usually are. There is a good possibility your noise is ball joints but also check your sway bar bushings and end links. These are all very common to go bad on these cars and most fords in general
onesickstang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My lower ball joints just went bad on both sides a week ago. I went with MOOG grease fitted ball joints and with labor/parts and alignment was 400$ ..my car was squeaking and creaking when going over even the smallest bumps and would hear at low speeds.
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
If the car has been lowered, check the springs. One may not be installed properly and maybe the isos were left off.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, forgot to post in the thread. But they're my ball joints. $425 to replace both sides. Going to have it done tuesday morning.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Yeah, forgot to post in the thread. But they're my ball joints. $425 to replace both sides. Going to have it done tuesday morning.
About same price I paid. Labor is what kills the job, parts are fairly inexpensive ..glad you found the problem though
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hmm

4.10 Gear/RPM thread
2002VertGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

$476 for ball joints, and some other link that was bad. Not too bad. Cheaper than was expected, but i did however find this scratch on the fender. ): not sure if they did it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2075644894.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	97043  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT