Throttle body and plenum? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Throttle body and plenum?

I might buy a throttle body and plenum instead of a hood will I see a gain with this it's the 70mm stack racing throttle body and plenum? I have udp, bama tuner, bbk intake, slp exhaust for performance?
RUNNWLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Get an o/r midpipe to open the exhaust more and retune and you should gain a bit

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Put yourself in a possition to not want to rebuy parts and buy the best the first time around. Accufab and its plenum are king of the hill. Also I would like to note that the TB/plenum mod is worth a noticable amount of power on these cars as the induction side of the N/A modular engines are starved of air, another reason why the modular engines respond so well to boosting. P.S. If you do the plenum be gentle with the intake bolts when you retighten them, the bolt heads can snap off. If you have a torque wrench I recommend using 2lbs less torque than manufacturer specs.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Accufab is king, but its also really expensive. SR is a good brand too and its a fair price. SR is the tb/plenum set up I will be using.
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'm running trickflow 70mm throttle body and plenum and its really noticeable when you punch it after 3000RPMs
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I've been thinking hard on getting one. I found accufab 75mm TB and Plenum for $200 on CL. I got it narrowed down to that or Bama bank 4 chip. TB and Plenum is just to good of a deal, I think.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNWLD View Post
I might buy a throttle body and plenum instead of a hood will I see a gain with this it's the 70mm stack racing throttle body and plenum? I have udp, bama tuner, bbk intake, slp exhaust for performance?
RUNNWLD,

You can certainly expect to feel a power gain from an SR Plenum and TB. Most of the power increase will be throughout the power band too. Which, is the best place to increase power, IMO. More power lower in the power band will be noticeable while daily driving, opposed to peak HP is only noticed when full throttle!

As mentioned above, an O/R mid-pipe is a good option too! Both will suffice with more HP/TQ!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I felt a great improve with Professional products 70mm and plenum

Although had to custom fab it for throttle cable to fit . Smh
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Reguardless of brand the TB/plenum on these 2v motors are a weak point in performance and you will notice a difference no matter what brand you go with.

However like I said in another post, 2-3hp spread across 10-15 mods is a big difference in performance which is why I recommend going for the best parts you can find the first time around. On my builds when im ready for a mod and cant afford the best performer for that type of part then I pick another mod that I can afford the best performing part.

This principle of modding will not only help you have better performance over all but in the end game can save you money by not buying the same type of part twice. Also to me its discouraging to see someone have the same exact mods you do but they have more power or better performance.

If I had your car with those mods my next step would be the Accufab TB/plenum I already mentioned, a FRPP aluminum drive shaft, electric water pump, gears, lighter wheels and or stickier tires depending on how much money I had in my pocket.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So if I had 500 dollar what would you guys do performance wise? I really want my car faster I am going to face a mildly modded 03 wrx.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Gears or nitrous lol
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
I'd do gears with that money. Nice short gears and a quality shifter (if you don't already have one), yeah, it really does make that much of a difference.

It may not add any power, but steeper gearing has a HUGE effect on the performance. I wish I had done my 4.10s years ago instead of fiddling around with tunes and bolt-one trying to make that little bit more power.
If you did upper intakes and everything, you'd need a tuner to really see the benefits. That's another $300-$400 on top of the TB/plenum.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have the tuner so would you guys say gears really make that big of a difference? And how much would gears be and to have them installed?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Performance gain is dependant on gear choice. 2.73-4.88. The 4.10s and 3.73s are the most popular choice for N/A street cars. The 3.73s have less of a fuel consumption than the 4.10s. However the 4.10s will give you better acceleration than the 3.73s with use of a stickier tire. Gears are the single largest performance improvement for a bolt on car without use of a power adder. Gear choice down the road can become more complicated as you decide to use a power adder or an aftermarket cam. I recommend 3.73s for your application and recommend having a profesional mechanic install them if your not mechanically inclined. The cost of gears plus installation usually runs around $500 in my side of the world.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Performance gain is dependant on gear choice. 2.73-4.88. The 4.10s and 3.73s are the most popular choice for N/A street cars. The 3.73s have less of a fuel consumption than the 4.10s. However the 4.10s will give you better acceleration than the 3.73s with use of a stickier tire. Gears are the single largest performance improvement for a bolt on car without use of a power adder. Gear choice down the road can become more complicated as you decide to use a power adder or an aftermarket cam. I recommend 3.73s for your application and recommend having a profesional mechanic install them if your not mechanically inclined. The cost of gears plus installation usually runs around $500 in my side of the world.
+1 and yeah gears is a great mod! I got 3.73
And love them! And the install in my area was $350
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Will I regret it if I go 3:73 than 4:10 what will be better gears if you race from a roll?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Will I regret it if I go 3:73 than 4:10 what will be better gears if you race from a roll?
I can beat dad's moderately modded 07 GT (shaker intake, TB/plenum, full exhaust, Steeda sport suspension + Tokico struts, Hurst short throw, tune, and 3.55) with my almost stock GT (just a ported TB...according to my previous owner at least, H&R SuperSports, adjustable panhard for wheel hop, 4.10s, and MGW). Sure, he pulls on me after a while, but I grab and hold a solid half-car to car-length for a quarter or so both from a dig and from a roll. The roll always goes much better because I get to sit smack in the middle of my powerband on each shift and run it all the way through.
I come pretty damn close to beating an R/T challenger every time we run too, but I think he's a sh1tty driver.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just go ahead and get 75mm tb/p I got mine and the throttle is so sensitive and a notice in power.
12.1 @ 117.9 (1.7) in 1/4th
7.6 @ 92.1 (1.6) in 1/8th
Speed_Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Go 4.10 they are worth it

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

I put the bbk throttle body plenium combo on my 04 it's sick u can fit the stock throttle body inside it . Got it from American muscle worth the 270
Tomiboy0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

The bbk unit is big and well suited for large boost with use of an aluminum lower intake from say PP.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Okay guys so I'm torn between gears on tb and plenum and if gears what kind?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay guys so I'm torn between gears on tb and plenum and if gears what kind?
This is gonna be long, but it's really good information.
Motive took over the FRPP gear manufacturing. Motive is known for making poor quality gears that whine no matter what you do.

Lifted from a thread on ModularFords.com with FRPP/Motive discussion and reliable sources (mechanics with personal experience with both companies and even a Ford manager).
Quote:
For what it's worth, the date which motive began manufacturing the 4.10 gearset for Ford was 11/05. My installer, who is a Ford mechanic, does 50-60 gear sets a year. I have driven in many cars the year before in which he has done the gear installs and have never heard a set of his gears whine. I had it done by him late March/early April as soon as the car came oit of storage. These were the M4209G410M instead of the M4209G410A

As others have stated they are made for FRPP by Motive and have a backcut on the ring gear.

After installing them we went for a road test and the whine on decell was insane.
To make a long story short he setup the gears 3 times and didn't charge me any more than if he did it once but the whine was still there.

We happened to pull a set of older FRPP 4.10's out of my friends 03 GT 1/4 mile car which had about 50 runs on them and threw them in and no more whine.
Quote:
You can get the original FRPP gears again they just started releasing them again unfortunatley they are more expensive. If you are buying them and want the gears from Ford and not Motive make sure the number is M-4209-G410A instead of M-4209-G410M.
Quote:
Hey guys my name is Rick I am the Mgr of Downs Ford Motorsport. The M onthe end of the part number means they werebuilt by Motive gear. I have also had issues with whine noise's. What I been doing is having anyone who purchase's the gears with M at the end of the number go onto Motive gear site and download the motive gear install instructions they seam to differ from the Ford set up a little which I have found makes the difference so their is no Whine from the rear. Any question feel free to call me at 1-732-349-2240 ext 958 ask for Rick
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

4:10s for auto and 3.73s for manual.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If I buy the gears do I need the gears package with all sorts of stuff from am or just the gears I'm probably having someone do it so it's done right.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

This is gonna be long, but it's really good information.
Motive took over the FRPP gear manufacturing. Motive is known for making poor quality gears that whine no matter what you do.

Lifted from a thread on ModularFords.com with FRPP/Motive discussion and reliable sources (mechanics with personal experience with both companies and even a Ford manager).
Thanks that's nice to know thanks a lot!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I just got gears, friction modifier, diff fluid, and a new speedo gear. I don't know what all the AM package has.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So if I just buy the package will I just take all that stuff to the place that installs the gears and they will do it all?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thats correct.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

« pcm | Nitros »