Wheel noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Wheel noise

I've had a noise develop a few months back that just sounded like power steering, it would come and go but now it's persistent, its a creaking type noise, it seems like its only coming from my drivers side front tire only, whenever I hit the smallest of small bumps I can hear it, if I'm driving straight I canNOT hear it, if Im driving straight and turn the wheel just a tad I can hear it creak..if Im going around a turn I hear it when I turn the wheel to turn, and than hear it again when I turn the wheel back to straight..I can also hear a click/pop type noise at times when driving randomly, it's more of a click that's very very similar to the clicks your exhaust makings after turning off a warm car, not sure if that's related to the noise but it does almost sound like its coming from that area..any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bump
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I was experiencing something similar. I would only hear it when I hit a bump in the road or some type of incline. It was really bad at McDonald's one day. It sounded like something was loose and coming apart. It was a broken hanger on the left side and the exhaust touching the control arm on the right side. The sound of the vibrations were bouncing off the building and I thought my car was coming apart. You may have a similar problem.
02 360R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJstanger View Post
I've had a noise develop a few months back that just sounded like power steering, it would come and go but now it's persistent, its a creaking type noise, it seems like its only coming from my drivers side front tire only, whenever I hit the smallest of small bumps I can hear it, if I'm driving straight I canNOT hear it, if Im driving straight and turn the wheel just a tad I can hear it creak..if Im going around a turn I hear it when I turn the wheel to turn, and than hear it again when I turn the wheel back to straight..I can also hear a click/pop type noise at times when driving randomly, it's more of a click that's very very similar to the clicks your exhaust makings after turning off a warm car, not sure if that's related to the noise but it does almost sound like its coming from that area..any ideas ?
I had a somewhat similar issue. Whenever I went to hit any sort of bump, or turn the wheel left or right I had a terrible creaking noise. Turns out my ball joints were fried, fell apart in the guys hands when he took it apart he said. So it could be something to look into
96smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
It is defiantly severe play in the ball joint. I just needed both my lower ball joints replaced less than a week ago. I was experiencing the same problems going over small bumps even driveway bumps it would creak and the steering was very loose and the noise came alive over bumps or when turning. Check the ball joints ASAP. You don't want to go over a pothole the wrong way and have it crack.
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check up on your swapbar links as well as the balljoints.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post
It is defiantly severe play in the ball joint. I just needed both my lower ball joints replaced less than a week ago. I was experiencing the same problems going over small bumps even driveway bumps it would creak and the steering was very loose and the noise came alive over bumps or when turning. Check the ball joints ASAP. You don't want to go over a pothole the wrong way and have it crack.
How much that cost you to replace lower ball joints?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If its like rubber rubbing rubber, its balljoint. My neighbor did mine for $20. But shops will be more than that. I'd call around and compare.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How much that cost you to replace lower ball joints?
400$ for both lower ball joints, labor and alignment. OEM ford ball joints are non grease fitting so make sure the aftermarket ball joints are grease fitted so they'll last longer but aftermarket ball joints usually are grease fitted.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Just jacked up my car, I grabbed the wheel from top to bottom and side to side and started tugging, there's absolutely no play in the wheel at all, does that eliminate ball joints?
Old 03-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just jacked up my car, I grabbed the wheel from top to bottom and side to side and started tugging, there's absolutely no play in the wheel at all, does that eliminate ball joints?
Usually if there is no play at 3 & 9 o'clock it's not the ball joints. It is defiantly something in your suspension so may try checking your control arms or sway bar links
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLbxO143 View Post

Usually if there is no play at 3 & 9 o'clock it's not the ball joints. It is defiantly something in your suspension so may try checking your control arms or sway bar links
+1 check your sway bar, mine was making god awful noises over bumps and I replaced ball joints, struts and everything else it was the sway bar
BigB227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just because you have no play in the ball joints doesn't mean they are good they could be dry inside, oe ball joints you can't grease. If you replace them use a high quality don't use the cheap $20 ones.
Tomiboy0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just flushed my power steering just to see if I could get lucky and be a cheap and easy fix but nope, creak is still there, it snowed last night and is a bit cold here and it's seems like its louder
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I had a creak in my old fox body that drove me nuts. Ended up needing to grease the control arm bushings and it went away. Sucks though man, I know how a creak can drive you crazy!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have the same exact problem... I've been told tha it COULD possibly be the racks and pinions. My car has been sitting for 4 years. Pretty much everything on my car I'm getting replaced! So that's next on my list ha
jleber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I FIXED IT!!!!! Tie rod rubber boot, poke a hole in it, shot it up with grease, sealed up the hole...DEAD QUIET!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I FIXED IT!!!!! Tie rod rubber boot, poke a hole in it, shot it up with grease, sealed up the hole...DEAD QUIET!!!
Haha nice!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post

Haha nice!
Yea man soooo happy!!! The whole I punctured was just a needle sized hole so I probably didn't have to seal it to begin with but I rubbed a bit of super glue over it and than a tad bit of silicone so no dirt or anything will get on, if it ever happens again I can just peel the silicone off of it or just puncture a new hole, but I got this info on a YouTube video and the guy said he did it 2 years ago and it's still dead quiet! Most mechanic prob would have just went and replaced my tie rod ends making it a bit pricey but I fixed it for a 3 dollar can of white lithium grease, I also picked up a tube of all purpose automotive grease, if the noise comes back ill grab a syringe, fill it with the automotive grease, and shoot it in there
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

By the way this is only a fix if your tie rods are still good and have no play so check them and make sure they are okay, all I did was essentially make the non greasable oem boot greasable..they sell after markets that have greaseable fittings, but why not make your oem greasable if its still in good condition
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Hey I have a 04 gt that creaks when I'm sitting or even when I sit down in it sometimes just creaks ... Couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from... When I had it on stands last night ... Could all this grease be a red flag?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2906949296.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	530.0 KB
ID:	97187  
Jimmy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #22

Region: California
its hard to say by the pic but i have a 04 gt and the oil filter is right above that spot so the oil/grease your seeing might be from when you change your oil.
when i change my oil i get a little bit to run down on the rack in that spot.

hope this helps
nightmare04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare04gt View Post
its hard to say by the pic but i have a 04 gt and the oil filter is right above that spot so the oil/grease your seeing might be from when you change your oil.
when i change my oil i get a little bit to run down on the rack in that spot.

hope this helps
Your correct..I can almost guarantee that's from changing the oil filter
Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

maybe this have to do with the creaking noise...still no idea...but Lincoln ne had some really effed up roads here and on some roads I gotta grip the wheel really good cause it pulls left then right then where ever it wants to go...sucks bad for just buying a new car it pisses me the **** off....what can I do..? bumpsteer correct this or idk ive heard the tires but they are at least 80 tread left ...crap....any ideas fellas?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy84 View Post
maybe this have to do with the creaking noise...still no idea...but Lincoln ne had some really effed up roads here and on some roads I gotta grip the wheel really good cause it pulls left then right then where ever it wants to go...sucks bad for just buying a new car it pisses me the **** off....what can I do..? bumpsteer correct this or idk ive heard the tires but they are at least 80 tread left ...crap....any ideas fellas?
Wide front tires will make your car pull on its own, especially on uneven pavement.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah but they are just whatever came on the car wen i got it but okay... If that's the case .. What can fix it besides downgrading my tire size .. I honestly think it needs some struts and an alignment .. Hitting potholes can mess ur alignment up or no?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Doubt it, if its a CREAK from 1 tire only when turning or hitting bumps, I can bet its your tie rod, try greasing the inside of the boot like I wrote above, but make sure you tie rod has no play, if it has play than its bad replace it do not attempt to grease the inside of the boot.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

On both sides or just side I think it's coming from ?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On both sides or just side I think it's coming from ?
Side you think it's coming from..I only greased up my 1 side and my steering is now dead quiet..poke a needle sized hole in the boot, pick up a can of Crc white lithium grease, attach the red thin straw to the can of grease, pop that red thin straw into the needle sized hole you made and spray away, once your done take a finger dab of silicone and just put it over that needle sized hole..boom your done, I did mine last week and still 100% dead quiet, buddy of mine did it over a year ago and still hasn't come back

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT