Clutch grabbing high? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Clutch grabbing high?

I can push my clutch like less then half way down and let it up.. It grabs uncomfortably high doesn't don't crawl at all just grabs hard and high. No slipping. I know nothing about 5 speeds clutches ect. Besides how to drive them.. Really need help don't wanna ruin my clutch/tranny.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpac View Post
I can push my clutch like less then half way down and let it up.. It grabs uncomfortably high doesn't don't crawl at all just grabs hard and high. No slipping. I know nothing about 5 speeds clutches ect. Besides how to drive them.. Really need help don't wanna ruin my clutch/tranny.
When mine is doing this, I adjust the cable so the TOB is a little further away from the clutch pressure plate. Is your clutch stock or aftermarket?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

When mine is doing this, I adjust the cable so the TOB is a little further away from the clutch pressure plate. Is your clutch stock or aftermarket?
Dumb questions but what is TOB and I honestly don't know I just bought it on the 28th.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Throw out bearing<<<<
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
Throw out bearing<<<<
Thanks... What all is needed to adjust it and how can I do this..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Dumb questions but what is TOB and I honestly don't know I just bought it on the 28th.
TOB is throw out bearing. If you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant, you can probably make some adjustments. If its the stock quadrant, there might not be a lot of adjustment that can be done.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

TOB is throw out bearing. If you have an aftermarket clutch quadrant, you can probably make some adjustments. If its the stock quadrant, there might not be a lot of adjustment that can be done.
I would guess its stock but I don't know. How do I adjust it?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I've adjusted mine by jacking up the car and find the cover where the clutch cables is running into remove the cover and you will see the clutch fork with the clutch cable running through. There is a nut holding the cable tight. I took a deep socket dunno what size off the top of my head . But in your case if it's grabbing high I would try backing the nut off a lil bit at a time and check until your satisfied with the engagement point.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron's racecar View Post
I've adjusted mine by jacking up the car and find the cover where the clutch cables is running into remove the cover and you will see the clutch fork with the clutch cable running through. There is a nut holding the cable tight. I took a deep socket dunno what size off the top of my head . But in your case if it's grabbing high I would try backing the nut off a lil bit at a time and check until your satisfied with the engagement point.
Cool was that a stock cable ect. Because I'm pretty sure mine is stick.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The stock cable is self adjusted at the quadrant. There is no adjustments to be made at the tranny.

If its the stock plastic quadrant...

With the car off and in first gear. Lift up on the clutch pedal firmly with the top of your foot. Then move your foot on the the pedal and push the clutch pedal down to the floor a few times. This is supposed to move the quadrant on the pawl. Many times you will not succeed, but it's worth a try.

You can also try what SpectorV mentions in this thread...

Clutch adjustment
Old 03-11-2013, 11:59 PM   #11
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
The stock cable is self adjusted at the quadrant. There is no adjustments to be made at the tranny.

If its the stock plastic quadrant...

With the car off and in first gear. Lift up on the clutch pedal firmly with the top of your foot. Then move your foot on the the pedal and push the clutch pedal down to the floor a few times. This is supposed to move the quadrant on the pawl. Many times you will not succeed, but it's worth a try.

You can also try what SpectorV mentions in this thread...

Clutch adjustment
^ good but that seams to say make my clutch grabe more and tighten it.. I believe I want the opposite. Like I push the petal down less the half way probably less the 1/4 way and its pretty much completely disengaged.. :S

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

I did not try it yet... but the problem he was have was him having to go all the way to the floor mine is not having to go very far down at all.. Hmm
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

^ good but that seams to say make my clutch grabe more and tighten it.. I believe I want the opposite. Like I push the petal down less the half way probably less the 1/4 way and its pretty much completely disengaged.. :S

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

I did not try it yet... but the problem he was have was him having to go all the way to the floor mine is not having to go very far down at all.. Hmm
Is the pedal loose feeling? Tight or hard to push? It could also mean you stock quadrant is cracked and moving awkwardly.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Is the pedal loose feeling? Tight or hard to push? It could also mean you stock quadrant is cracked and moving awkwardly.
Pretty tight.. Not horrible tho..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Pretty tight.. Not horrible tho..
There is a small inspection window where you can view the pressure plate fingers and TOB behind the clutch cable dust cover. You would want a pretty strong flashlight so you can see good. I would take a look and see how the TOB looks. It should be pretty solid on the shaft. If its all wobbly looking, then that needs to be replaced. You might be able to tell how the fingers are by looking with the flashlight as someone on top pushes the clutch pedal in. Maybe you can view some videos on YouTube that can help you understand better what your looking at. The TOB should push on the pressure plate fingers evenly. I hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

TOB tend to go out regularly in our mustangs. If your car has more than 80k miles on it with the stock clutch its probably time to get that all swapped out.
jjsg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsg09 View Post
TOB tend to go out regularly in our mustangs. If your car has more than 80k miles on it with the stock clutch its probably time to get that all swapped out.
I'm at 77k so I'll see how she drives
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Stretched clutch cable replace with stock cable if clutch is stock will take about an hour
mcvicar04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT