P0158 after coils and plugs help.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
P0158 after coils and plugs help..

So I have my rear 02 sensors off with my sct tuner because I have o/r x pipe and it has been fine the past 2 weeks. I did new plugs and all new accel coils yesterday just because it was running a little rough at idle and plugs were shot and car runs a lot better n smoother only problem is since then a p0158 code has shown up twice in one day. since I have the rear 02s off It kinda weird its throwing bank 2 sensor 2 high voltage code .. n it is odd it only happened after the tune up ...I'm a little stumped on what it could be any ideas? Thanks in advance.
GReese87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

To add now I just got back from a drive and its throwing p1131 and p1151 along with the p0158. Is it just me but seems weird that its throwing 02 codes after the coils n plugs it just doesn't make sense to me and the fact that they r turned off I'm stumped ..
Old 03-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Did you unhook your battery when u did the work

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Also you could of knocked off a vacuum hose. Double check all your connections
Tomiboy0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea the only vaccum hoeses I unhooked where the ones on the intake to get to the other plugs. Double checked all of the vaccum lines and they r all hooked up. N I thought they were rear 02 codes but I've been looking n they r both fronts so Idk if its just coincedental that they both went the same time or if there is something else causing it. the car was running a little rough before the tune up so maybe the 02s where starting to go n finally went because iit runs smooth then once the engine light comes on it runs a little rough again. Its raining n I don't have a garage so I wont be able to look at it real good for the next couple of days just trying to figure it out because engine lights are one of my pet peaves lol along with squeeks one of those things that just bite at me.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Check fuse #8, 20 A, in the central junction box--it powers the heaters for all four O² sensors, the EGR vacuum regulator solenoid, and the EVAP purge and vent valves. Perhaps something got shorted and it blew.

If the fuse were blown the O² sensors would run cold and not output a high enough (or any) signal; the PCM would interpret this as the mix being lean...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man just checked the fuse and it checks out good..double checked all of my vaccum llines and unhooked the battery to let it reset. Gonna take it for a spin today and see if unhooking the battery does anything if not ill probably just pick up one 02 sensor for now and see if one of the codes go away and go from there. I doubt they both went at the same time but hey I have seen some weird crap like that happen before lol..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

P1131 and P1151 have the same possible causes as P1130, here is what the shop manual says about that...

Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well here's an update. It is kinda weird but maybe it was just from doing the coils and not unplugging the battery because I deleted the codes with my scan tool unplugged the battery and have driven it about 100 mmiles and so far no codes usually only takes like 10-20 for them to show up. I know these computers are a little sensitive but didn't think they where that sensitive. Still not in the clear gotta wait for the system to do its complete check but so far so good. Anybody else ever hear of not unplugging the battery and it going loopy even though the key was off I had that happened to a Honda I use to have but no other car just weird and tricky computers I guess lol.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So after I did the battery reset the p1131 n p1151 went away but the p0158 keeps coming back. The weather here has been crappy so I haven't really had a chance to get under the car n check out the words etc. My confusion is how the rear is even throwing a code being that they r turned off through my sct itsx tuner. Ne insight on what you guys may think. I've never had this many problems with a sensor in the years I've been messing with cars its got me ripping my hair out lol.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReese87 View Post
So after I did the battery reset the p1131 n p1151 went away but the p0158 keeps coming back. The weather here has been crappy so I haven't really had a chance to get under the car n check out the words etc. My confusion is how the rear is even throwing a code being that they r turned off through my sct itsx tuner. Ne insight on what you guys may think. I've never had this many problems with a sensor in the years I've been messing with cars its got me ripping my hair out lol.
P0158 (same potential causes as P0132) indicates that the signal output from O² sensor 22 (driver rear) is too high, 1.5 V or higher--it should be no more than 0.9 V. "Turning off" the rear sensors disables the catalytic converter monitoring however some of the monitoring of the sensors remains active.

Likely causes are pinched wiring, or a bad sensor in which the heater power has shorted to the sensor output...

Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for your response. Makes a lot of sense. Once this rain ends I'm going to just switch the sensors if same code comes up its wiring if the other side code pops up then it's sensor. Sucks not having a garage lol. I swear whenever I need to work on the car it rains ever other day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT