some advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
some advice?

new owner of a 98 GT it has a flowmaster exhaust which I would like to make louder eventually other then that it's stock. But what are some good mods to start out with. Any advice ?
stan88gGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you want to make it louder then you can change you're midpipe to an off road one and add sound. Other good mods are tuner and shifter
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #3

Yes I was looking into the x pipe and h what's you opinion on them right now IM leaning towards the h . And also I forgot to add it has the Hurst short shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
On my previous 2 mustangs I've had x pipes and really like them. H pipes are more deep and throaty like old school muscle sound, x is more louder and raspy like NASCAR type sound. It's all in personal preference, look up exhaust threads in the search forum and you will find plenty of info there. Also search up exhaust sounds in YouTube.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
H sounds deaper and the X can sound raspy if thats what your into. However the X pipes are definatly beter performers than the H's its all up to personal preferance.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Best mod you could do to your car is a PI swap. The swap changes your head/intake/cam to the 99-04 GT equipment which gives you anywhere between 40-50 hp for around $1300. This is a good investment for your cars performance because without the PI swap you can spend the same amount of money in mods and not come anywhere near 40 or 50 hp. Also once the swap is done all future bolt ons will be worth more power. However if you dont have the coin other bolt ons like JLT intake pipe, Accufab or BBK TB/plenum, under drive pulleys from UPR, exhuast mods, gears, lightweight drive shafts are all good mods to look at until you can afford the PI swap. Swaping rear gears will be your single largest performance increase for one bolt on, 373's for manual and 410s for auto. If you would like to plan out your cars performance I can help you with such a task.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

Gears was something I was also looking into considering other than the highway I don't get to use 5th gear much
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #8

I also hear alot about msd ignition as a good upgradr
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.73s gears are going to be your best performing bolt on for your manual GT. You will still be able to drive down the highway in 5th gear no problem.

MSD has good performance mods for your car as well. However you wont realize very good gains, if any noticable gain, without other mods to support your ignition mods.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

Ok thanks for the help dieselstang I plan on getting this started soon I think I might look into the PI swap and gears to start
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck friend. If you ever need help picking out parts I can help you with cheap and effective and/or help with brand selection for maximum performance per part.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Once again, diesel nails it.

I'd recommend 4.10s since you don't do much highway. PI swap and tune for sure. If you want, just cut out your 2 rear cats to make your car louder. Be sure to tune in order to shut those O2 sensors off though.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I love you BackPressure. No homo though..

Yes 4.10s could be used on his manual car but going with 3.73s keep options open to go boosted or nitrous injected without having to change gears again. Remember we dont like to spend money on the same part twice. Also with 3.73s you can even build high N/A power without spending extra coin for traction mods you would need to fully manipulate the 4.10 ratio on street tires. The 3.73s are the optimum gear option for his mid weight manual FOX-4 mustang. If it was a heavier manual S197 mustang I would say 4.10s due to the car needing the extra gear to help the car out of the hole but thats just not the case with the FOX4 manual GT's. Also if he was planning to run at the track with slicks and never put on a power adder I would say 4.10s but not for a street stang.

So my recomendation of 3.73s stands. P.S. Dont hack up your car.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #14

It's not a fox it's actually a 98. and what do you mean don't hack my car up

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I no my screen name says 88 that was my bad I meant to put 98 but I guess you can't change it lol sorry
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

You car is a SN-95 also less known as a FOX4, not many refer to their 94-04 mustangs as FOX4s but it is still technically correct terminology.

BackPressure was recommending you cut off your rear cats and I was trying to tell you not to do that. Save your energy and wait until you get an aftermarket exhuast mid pipe.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
You car is a SN-95 also less known as a FOX4, not many refer to their 94-04 mustangs as FOX4s but it is still technically correct terminology.

BackPressure was recommending you cut off your rear cats and I was trying to tell you not to do that. Save your energy and wait until you get an aftermarket exhuast mid pipe.
Hey now. I hacked off my cats because I'm poor.
I'm studying medicine too, I gotta practice chopping up something. Can't just go hacking up people in the OR without some practice.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

LOL. True, very true. If he was desparate for more power and had no money he could hack off his rear cats himself. However I did try running no axle back on my 06GT and it did add power but the large loss in throttle responce actually ended up hurting my performance and I ended up putting the factory axle back back on anyway.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #18

Oh ok never knew that about the fox4 anyway I don't think I can legally chop off my cats where I live here in Pennsylvania I like the o/r h setup anyway I think that will be good enough
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan88gGt View Post
Oh ok never knew that about the fox4 anyway I don't think I can legally chop off my cats where I live here in Pennsylvania I like the o/r h setup anyway I think that will be good enough
You know o/r means no cats, right?
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you are able to put a Prochamber exhaust on I would, I love the way my 02 sounds with it. It has a classic muscle car sound with little rasp. It might be a little more expensive but its worth it!
02StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #21

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Our 96 SVT Cobra came from previous owner with Flowmaster exhaust and OR X pipe. We live in PA. it's street able but emissions exempt because of no cats. It has a great sound. But because of no cats we are limited to 5000 miles a year. That's worked out ok so far because its a sunny day car for us, not a DD. If we decide to put on more miles we bought a set of hi-Flo Cats from AM on sale 2 years ago. We love the sound so much we don't want to mess it up so we have avoided putting on the cats so far.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

One option that some people from my mustang club do is put in the cats to get inspected then remove them till next year. With the right bolt in set of pipes they say its not so bad.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Our 96 SVT Cobra came from previous owner with Flowmaster exhaust and OR X pipe. We live in PA. it's street able but emissions exempt because of no cats. It has a great sound. But because of no cats we are limited to 5000 miles a year. That's worked out ok so far because its a sunny day car for us, not a DD. If we decide to put on more miles we bought a set of hi-Flo Cats from AM on sale 2 years ago. We love the sound so much we don't want to mess it up so we have avoided putting on the cats so far.

---------- Post added at 06:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

One option that some people from my mustang club do is put in the cats to get inspected then remove them till next year. With the right bolt in set of pipes they say its not so bad.
It really isn't hard at all. Just get whatever midpipe you want and switch back to the stocker when emissions time rolls around. It's really easy to switch, just undo a handful of bolts, swap the part, redo bolts and stick the O2 sensors in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT