Pressure plate worn - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pressure plate worn

So i took my car into a local shop about a a rattle coming from my clutch pedal and they tell me my pressure plate is worn and i need a new clutch. Problem is i just replaced the clutch about 10k miles ago. So my question is can failure to properly install a clutch correctly lead to premature wear on the pressure plate
cleanmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanmach1 View Post
So i took my car into a local shop about a a rattle coming from my clutch pedal and they tell me my pressure plate is worn and i need a new clutch. Problem is i just replaced the clutch about 10k miles ago. So my question is can failure to properly install a clutch correctly lead to premature wear on the pressure plate
If that is exactly what they told you I would find another shop. That the pressure plate is worn in 10k miles so as to need replacement is very unlikely; and that they could determine that without pulling the transmission is damned near impossible.

Are your sure they didn't say/mean "clutch disc"?

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post

If that is exactly what they told you I would find another shop. That the pressure plate is worn in 10k miles so as to need replacement is very unlikely; and that they could determine that without pulling the transmission is damned near impossible.

Are your sure they didn't say/mean "clutch disc"?
No they said pressure plate. And it's not the same shop who replaced the clutch 10k miles ago. So your saying to know the exact problem they need to drop the tranny completely to find out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No they said pressure plate. And it's not the same shop who replaced the clutch 10k miles ago. So your saying to know the exact problem they need to drop the tranny completely to find out?
Unless it has self-destructed (is is a Spec clutch?) I cannot imagine how they were able to pinpoint a defective pressure plate by peeking in through the inspection port...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
I would go back to the same place who installed the clutch, and see if they are willing to work with you.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I also want to add that the car drives fine for now, theres been no slipage just grinding noises and ticking from the pedal when slowing down while in gear
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would still have it checked by the shop that put it in you might have a warranty. I know my shop offers a 12 month 12k warr on All the work we do.
Tomiboy0318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT