window tint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
window tint

i got 5% all the way around my car, got a tickect bout 3 months ago and it was 300$, i live in North Carolina. anybody know the legal percentage for my quarter windows and back windows ? i know its 35% for the front but ive always heard u can have the back glass dark as you want, i know this varies in other states but anybody from NC with any advice lemme know , or any oter state with the same laws thanks guys
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
hey took this from Tintlaws.com

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. • WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. • Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 35% of light in. • Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 35% of light in. • Rear WindowMust allow more than 35% of light in.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

hopefully that helps a bit
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_KILLA View Post
i got 5% all the way around my car, got a tickect bout 3 months ago and it was 300$, i live in North Carolina. anybody know the legal percentage for my quarter windows and back windows ? i know its 35% for the front but ive always heard u can have the back glass dark as you want, i know this varies in other states but anybody from NC with any advice lemme know , or any oter state with the same laws thanks guys
I've learned from reading a law page about window tints in general (no specific state) but they can't give you a fine on the first time being pulled over for window tints. All he/she can say is for you you take the tint off. If it is the 2nd time by the same cop then he can fine you.
Awkwardjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkwardjosh

I've learned from reading a law page about window tints in general (no specific state) but they can't give you a fine on the first time being pulled over for window tints. All he/she can say is for you you take the tint off. If it is the 2nd time by the same cop then he can fine you.
Lol, thats like saying you can't get a ticket the first time you are caught speeding...

Op, 35% looks like your answer
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkwardjosh View Post

yeah dnt think thats true...i got pulle over the first day i got mine done and told the cop it was like that when i bought the car, ad he still wrote me a tickect.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 610swolf View Post
hey took this from Tintlaws.com

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In North Carolina, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window. • WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. • Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 35% of light in. • Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 35% of light in. • Rear WindowMust allow more than 35% of light in.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

hopefully that helps a bit
yeah thanks dude. i was thinkin on a car u can only have 35% but i wast sure if i could keep my back and quarter windows at 5 and just change my front to 35, but thanks for the info homie
Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_KILLA View Post
I'm in NC too it has to be 35% all the way around for it to be legal... Sadly... But you can get like 25% or 20% and most cops won't say anything
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You can get away with 32%, I have 24% on my Mazda. Never had a problem with that. (Knock on wood) where are you in nc?
1shotkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
the cops are mean there
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in stanly, the cops in locust are the worst by far to me but you can get away with 24% here I know of but anything darker you start getting in trouble
Old 03-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mustang99 View Post
I'm in stanly, the cops in locust are the worst by far to me but you can get away with 24% here I know of but anything darker you start getting in trouble
You should head over here and test these troopers out, sheesh! One trooper in particular, is one of the most cocky and disrespectful troopers i have ever seen.

Im trying to get a doctor's note so I can run darker tint, since my eyes are extremely sensitive to light. I had my sunglasses on at 11pm the other night, cars headlights mess me up that bad.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My current gt the guy had it all blacked out and the state trooper made him scratch the head lights tint, tail lights tint and all the windows tint, trooper said "
now I know you'll take it off"
Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My current gt the guy had it all blacked out and the state trooper made him scratch the head lights tint, tail lights tint and all the windows tint, trooper said "
now I know you'll take it off"
Which is bullchit. We've had cops literally rip the tint off of vehicles around here.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

yeah im in Raleigh, NC and the troopers and local police are crazy about dark tint , 35 is legal, but you won't get pulled of u got about 20, but anywher u are , it all kinda depends on the individual cop cuz some are just cool and dont care lol

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotkllz View Post

Which is bullchit. We've had cops literally rip the tint off of vehicles around here.
i had a truck with 11% (what the cops ADS meter. read) and he made me take my front windows off in front of him, didnt get a tickect but it was still a d!ck move
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotkllz View Post

Same here or they will give you a ticket, one actually ran a knife through some ones and scratched the glass and never had to pay for it... Like really.. Let me go do that to your car and see what you do
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same here or they will give you a ticket, one actually ran a knife through some ones and scratched the glass and never had to pay for it... Like really.. Let me go do that to your car and see what you do
Exactly. I bet you would end up in handcuffs charged with vandalism and destruction of property. Amazing how much they can get away with here. As for tint, I say use your own caution, legal law says 35, any darker, expect a powertrip heading your way.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeahh if your willing to take a risk for looks then go 24% and you may get away with it but other than that go 35% it'll save time, trouble and money for a ticket
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I have 5% all around anytime i go anywhere els out of where i live i get tickets got one yesterday ill be taking it off and going 35%
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

One thing I don't understand is why they would make tints for the front 2 windows such as 5% and I haven't found a state that allows that low.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No idea. I got my car with them that dark or i would have never weny that dark
Rich04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich04 View Post
I have 5% all around anytime i go anywhere els out of where i live i get tickets got one yesterday ill be taking it off and going 35%
yeah im bout to do the same. and my car is red so my pitch black windows are more noticeable. They just look so good with 5%!!! ha
Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Cause someone is always ping to want to do it.. Plus it's not prefabed for just a front window.. It comes in a huge roll and it's cut down to a square about the size of the window then it's fitted to it.. 35% and below is usually used in cop cars to hide suspects and trucks in the rear windows
Old 03-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Cause someone is always ping to want to do it.. Plus it's not prefabed for just a front window.. It comes in a huge roll and it's cut down to a square about the size of the window then it's fitted to it.. 35% and below is usually used in cop cars to hide suspects and trucks in the rear windows
Good point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT