Another debate - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
So I'm saving for something a little bigger just don't know what. I'm stuck between stage 3 cams or a shaker hood I know cams are obvious choice but don't know which step to take first. Any other mod ideas are welcome nothing over 1500
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
What are your goals?
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
What are your goals?
Well right now just modding the ***** until I have enough for a terminator or older gt500
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post

Well right now just modding the ***** until I have enough for a terminator or older gt500
Simple solution in that case.
Don't. Save your money.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Simple solution in that case.
Don't. Save your money.
That's the fun part I'm putting half towards the car because I wanted to keep this as my daily
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post

That's the fun part I'm putting half towards the car because I wanted to keep this as my daily
Ah! I see!
I highly recommend gears (preferably 4.10s) and a tuner first thing.
Cams will probably end up being more than $1,500. Parts alone for stage 3 wil run you almost $1,000 and installation is $750 at least.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Ah! I see!
I highly recommend gears (preferably 4.10s) and a tuner first thing.
Cams will probably end up being more than $1,500. Parts alone for stage 3 wil run you almost $1,000 and installation is $750 at least.
Have them already and the comp cams stage 3 are 620 no valve springs needed
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp_loudmouth View Post

Have them already and the comp cams stage 3 are 620 no valve springs needed
I guarantee you will need new beehive springs and cam gears. Where'd you find the stage 3s?
I have never heard of 2v stage 3 cams from Comp Cams.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
I guarantee you will need new beehive springs and cam gears. Where'd you find the stage 3s?
+100
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

I guarantee you will need new beehive springs and cam gears. Where'd you find the stage 3s?
I have never heard of 2v stage 3 cams from Comp Cams.
Go on there site they say all you need is higher gears which I have
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
I'm guessing you're talking about the XE278AH or XE274H

XE278AH manufacturer requirements: SOHC-Street/strip, needs 3.73+ gears, 2400+ stall. Intake, exhaust, computer & valve spring upgrade. Rough idle.
XE274H mfr requirements: SOHC-Hot street cam, 3.55-3.73 gears, 2000+ stall, computer upgrade recommended. Rough idle. HOWEVER, under the recommended/related items right below the specs, they list beehive springs. There's a reason for that. Furthermore, looking at the valve and lobe lifts - 0.5 and 0.274 respectively - that's pretty aggressive, but since the valve lift is in fact .500, you technically don't need new springs. Again, HOWEVER, if you don't replace them and something goes wrong, Comp won't cover any damages.

You'll tend to need to run stiffer springs when you have a cam with a more aggressive lobe profile (very aggressive lobe profiles that essentially launch the valve open over the nose of the cam lobe), and you need that spring to bring the valve back to the seat. The Comp Xtreme grinds are pretty aggressive, but the good thing is OHC grinds have faster ramp rates to begin with due to the low friction design. It's not as drastic as a flat tappet or roller engine going to one of Comp's Xtreme Energy grinds anyway.
In other words, you don't NEED new ones since OHC designs are a bit easier on the valves, but it's definitely recommended to make sure everything will run safely and cover your *** in case something breaks.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Slp_loudmouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
I'm guessing you're talking about the XE278AH or XE274H

XE278AH manufacturer requirements: SOHC-Street/strip, needs 3.73+ gears, 2400+ stall. Intake, exhaust, computer & valve spring upgrade. Rough idle.
XE274H mfr requirements: SOHC-Hot street cam, 3.55-3.73 gears, 2000+ stall, computer upgrade recommended. Rough idle. HOWEVER, under the recommended/related items right below the specs, they list beehive springs. There's a reason for that. Furthermore, looking at the valve and lobe lifts - 0.5 and 0.274 respectively - that's pretty aggressive, but since the valve lift is in fact .500, you technically don't need new springs. Again, HOWEVER, if you don't replace them and something goes wrong, Comp won't cover any damages.

You'll tend to need to run stiffer springs when you have a cam with a more aggressive lobe profile (very aggressive lobe profiles that essentially launch the valve open over the nose of the cam lobe), and you need that spring to bring the valve back to the seat. The Comp Xtreme grinds are pretty aggressive, but the good thing is OHC grinds have faster ramp rates to begin with due to the low friction design. It's not as drastic as a flat tappet or roller engine going to one of Comp's Xtreme Energy grinds anyway.
In other words, you don't NEED new ones since OHC designs are a bit easier on the valves, but it's definitely recommended to make sure everything will run safely and cover your *** in case something breaks.
Got ya and yeah the 274h is what I was looking at
Slp_loudmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Think of it this way, spend the extra money on the springs and gears or you might have to replace your whole engine... Is it worth it?
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Simple solution in that case.
Don't. Save your money.
yea putting money into a car will get you nothing back out, so you are hurting yourself if you are trying to save up for another car, just enjoy, save and when you can buy what you want.

Thats what I did for my 03 cobra
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



07:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.