Battery issues? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Battery issues?

Ok guys I'm a little upset. Maybe you could help me out. A couple months ago my battery light indicator came on. Didn't think anything of it cause it went off right away. Since it has started coming on and going off more frequently. I had the battery changed out, I had the alternator tested, and I even bought a new tensioner and installed it. The light is still coming on and going off every now and then. I have no idea at this point what it could be. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Your alternator is slowly going out.
Mine did the exact same thing; turns out I had a failing diode (apparently its fairly common, I've answered 10-15 questions just like yours). Just replace the alternator. Belts and such won't fix it. At least you have new belts and tensioners though!
I will almost guarantee that's your problem.
I think it causes a battery light flicker because your alternator spontaneously dies and comes back to life, which throws off the system voltage.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That sucks man. I will most def do that then. Don't want it to die when I'm driving around town lol. Thanks dude!
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You did not say where you got test performed, however the testers used by most FLAPS (and many shops) will not reliably detect a failing generator; just ones that have failed. They are just a little better than a go/no go test. To get one REALLY tested bring it to an auto electric shop where they have the test bench, loads and monitoring equipment to test it properly...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
Your alternator is slowly going out.
Mine did the exact same thing; turns out I had a failing diode (apparently its fairly common, I've answered 10-15 questions just like yours). Just replace the alternator. Belts and such won't fix it. At least you have new belts and tensioners though!
I will almost guarantee that's your problem.
I think it causes a battery light flicker because your alternator spontaneously dies and comes back to life, which throws off the system voltage.
Yep, had the same issue. Just replace the alternator. It's a fairly easy and straightforward job.
delff128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Mine was doing the same thing, would stay off for 2 weeks and then flicker on and off randomly. Went through many battery and alternator tests and I ended up having a bad battery terminal that was all corroded, that didn't help and then I got a new serpentine belt bc mine was all cracked and wore and that fixed my problem.
sLbxO143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdevildriver View Post
That sucks man. I will most def do that then. Don't want it to die when I'm driving around town lol. Thanks dude!
Mine actually died driving in my first mustang.. I was 4 miles from my house, some how I got it to my house, and it completely went out in my drive way
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate the advice guys. It does make sense that the alternator would be going out as it still has the stock one from 03. My buddy knows a guy that does alot of work with alternators and he wants him to test it before I buy a new one but that does sound like it is most likely the problem.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
FWIW it is actually a generator; this is from the '03 shop manual:

"Alternator" is a marketing buzzword created by Chrysler in the 60s to differentiate their rotating magnet AC generator from the fixed magnet DC "dynamo" generators used by other makers. The term has taken over in common use, however engineers do not call them such--as evidenced by the Ford document shown above, and most other technical documents.

If you want to have fun talk about the generator with FLAPS staff or most mechanics; when they look at you as though you are a nut job show them a copy of the shop manual snippet from above...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT