Blown head gasket - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Blown head gasket

So i blew a head gasket about a year ago and the stangs been traveling around to every base ive pcs'd to. Which is 3 so far. What should i do to get that monster up and running again? Just swap head gaskets? Or look a bit more internally? Thanks for the responses
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well the question is when you nlew the head gasket did you keep driving it around or did you stop and just moved the car around by tow or some otger means when you were transferred. All in all i would probably get the heads shaved and do the head gaskets. Another option would be if u plan on making power buy a set of trick flow heads with some cams. As to internal components i would take a look at them to see if you damaged any when u blew the gasket. Also if you have a 96-98, if anything i would suggest a pi swap to get some power in that car.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Once it blew i put it up. There was a big amount of air shooting out of the back of the engine and if you put your hand back there it was pretty hot. Also, it just drained pretty much all of the oil in the tank im guessing because there was Alot of oil just on the ground in the morning.. I got someone to diagnose it and they said it was a head gasket and possibly more. I dont really know. I can get a running 4.6 engine for about 550$ so should i just say f*** it and drop in a new one? Or try to fix this? Plus what should i check if i pull mine? I know heads and rods and all but other things? Im so lost on this one. Just need some direction...
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well if there is a huge amount of air coming from the back of the car, and oil on the floor i would assume to did more than just blow a head gasket. to me maybe you blew a hole in the block or something. you could just put in another motor, would be cheaper in a way. if you do decide to pull your heads and do it, i would inspect everything block rods pistons since you are saying air is coming out from the back. it could be a good thing like a intake manifold which i say is good cause the manifold would be cheap compared to a block lol. if you can get a motor 550 running and you know the condition is good i would go that route, oil on the ground is never good it usually means the death of a car. its really up to you, if you have any questions we are all here to help on this forum so ask away and no question is to small or "stupid" to ask, trust me i ask the dumb questions to learn more.
1996mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man i appreciate it. I just want to get behind the wheel again and just drive. Its been so long im losing the feeling! I think i will get that other engine and put it in. Maybe go pi heads/ intake on that as well. Not sure yet but i need to make a decision. Summers coming and i Need it up and running!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The engine has 120xxx miles on it and i guess the guy was told it ran just great and nothing wrong at all. Ill look at it and dig in before i put it in, and worst case scenario, just completely rebuild it on the side! But its from a 98gt and thats the engine i have now. So do i need the wiring harness for it? I have a 96 mustang by the way. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Also he has a t45 manual tranny with it. What does the 96-98 mustangs have? Should i get it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3060268172.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	98713   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4272787906.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	98714  

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If its from a 98 its ok ot will just go right in and use the wires from the old motor since some 98 went to cops. As to the tranny the gt came with t45 or t3650 either or so tranny will bolt on no problem
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks Man! I cant wait to get my stang up and goin now! Save up 1000 or just 750 and in a month ill be gettin it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT