suspension upgrades.. what first. . - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
suspension upgrades.. what first. .

I'm going with ford racing springs.. which don't lower much but I can't go low were I live.. and have a strut tower brace.. so what I'm wondering were should I start.. I'm not gonna go all out but want to mod it mildly and build from there..
Any opinions or knowledge welcome..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Some good shocks will also help, sway bars, control arms
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Some good shocks will also help, sway bars, control arms
Does the gt have sway bars?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes they do. I put some on my previous gt some eibach ones and it helped alot.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Aftermarket sway bars are thicker in diameter making it stiffer and stronger

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Upper and lower arm controls..? And is there a big difference in brands
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
They bolt right up

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Quote:
They bolt right up?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeap and I got some new bushings along with them. Some subframe connectors will help as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #9
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yeap and I got some new bushings along with them. Some subframe connectors will help as well.
Gotta weld sub frames right? And what's gotta be done for arm controls?

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

And suggestions on shocks and struts?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I believe the ones that are welded are better, that will be my next suspension mod. As far as shocks, tockiko, kyb, eibach are good to name a few.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What most dont realize is most aftermarket springs have close to the same lb rating that the factory ones do. To maximize your suspension setup without going all out springs can be left stock. Lowering your mustang can become expensive quick by the time you add a bump steer kit and caster camber plates to compinsate for the drop.

Next thing you have to consider is that tires make the single largest impact on any cars performance capability and use when it comes to traction. I recommend picking out the best tire you can for your aplication before starting on suspension setup.

First place to start modifying suspension and maximize your investment wether your going to do corner carving or drag racing or just need some extra traction and launch ability for your street car is firming up the rear. Upper and Lower control arms, adjustable struts, sway bar and sub frame connectors. Also if your running a fox I sugest the very first thing you do is have battle boxs installed so your rear end doesnt deside to just rip itself out of your car one day.

Picking suspension peices isnt as easy as you would think. Price per part aside you now have to decide what am I really going to be using this vehicle for? Will I run it at the track sometimes or only? Am I building this on a budget or am I trying to set records? Do I care about ride quality because its my daily driver? Will I be running a power adder? Street tires?

If you can tell me what you will be using your car for and tell me your goals I cant help you with a parts list that will effectivly get your car to your goal without wasting your hard earned money.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
What most dont realize is most aftermarket springs have close to the same lb rating that the factory ones do. To maximize your suspension setup without going all out springs can be left stock. Lowering your mustang can become expensive quick by the time you add a bump steer kit and caster camber plates to compinsate for the drop.

Next thing you have to consider is that tires make the single largest impact on any cars performance capability and use when it comes to traction. I recommend picking out the best tire you can for your aplication before starting on suspension setup.

First place to start modifying suspension and maximize your investment wether your going to do corner carving or drag racing or just need some extra traction and launch ability for your street car is firming up the rear. Upper and Lower control arms, adjustable struts, sway bar and sub frame connectors. Also if your running a fox I sugest the very first thing you do is have battle boxs installed so your rear end doesnt deside to just rip itself out of your car one day.

Picking suspension peices isnt as easy as you would think. Price per part aside you now have to decide what am I really going to be using this vehicle for? Will I run it at the track sometimes or only? Am I building this on a budget or am I trying to set records? Do I care about ride quality because its my daily driver? Will I be running a power adder? Street tires?

If you can tell me what you will be using your car for and tell me your goals I cant help you with a parts list that will effectivly get your car to your goal without wasting your hard earned money.
Well I'm posting in the 99-04 gt.. So it's not my fox its my 2001 GT.. How low can I go without having bump steer and caster camber plates.. It's my daily driver so I'm looking for a comfortable ride but still want the things that won't compromise to much ride quality... In reality ill probably never take it down the strip.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You might be able to use the ford racing springs without have to use a bump steer kit or caster camber plates. However suspension setup needs to be delt with on an individual car to car basis.

Bump steer is a symptom of the suspension and effects how your car drives. If you end up noticing bump steer after spring installation then a bump steer kit will be necisary to correct it.

Caster camber plates are not needed to lower your mustang but they give you increased ability to correct your cars toe. Improper toe can cause uneven tire wear. If your local shop can get the tires properly aligned after spring installation without the caster camber plates then caster camber plates are not needed.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

If anything you can use camber bolts with about a 1.5' drop all around. I know that's what Bullitt needed and works out great for him.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
If anything you can use camber bolts with about a 1.5' drop all around. I know that's what Bullitt needed and works out great for him.
I would probably do a 1.2 inch front and 1 in back...
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 03-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Then you can just get bolts and save some money there.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Furthermore, since you are starting with Ford springs a good option for future suspension gear that will help you perform is Steeda. Steeda works hand in hand with Ford on suspension systems. All of their performance parts are interchangable from one system to another without throwing off ride quality and performance.

Steeda is a high quality parts manufactuer that will maintain your cars daily drivability and give you competitive top performance enhancement for your car without sacraficing ride quality. Steeda even has a few car build ups that slay ferrari's, all without sacrificing the ability to drive comfortably on the street.

Best part about the performance youll receive from Steeda since your not looking to break performance records is you wont have to drop thousands of dollars to finish your suspension like you would with Maximum Motorsports or even Griggs Racing. And youll have a car that rides better and performs just as well to someone who doesnt make their living by racing cars.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

As far as your question about control arms go, no control arms are not built anywhere near equal. Some can cause unwanted noise and damaging of control arm brackets from bushings that are too race oriented. Because your car is primarily at home on the street I recommend Steeda for all your suspension needs.

Steeda's Steel Lower Control Arms really hook! Made from extruded and billet Steel for an economical approach for lower 60 ft. times and maximum control off corners. They are a direct bolt-on, with swaybar mounts located to clear differential stud girdles and T-Rex fuel pumps. Don't be fooled by imitators! Steeda's lower rear control arms are the only ones that use our exclusive 3 piece bushings to eliminate suspension bind and vibration while planting your tires to the pavement.

NOTE: Does not fit 1999-2004 Cobra with IRS

Product Benefits
  • Less NVH than arms with spherical bearings
  • 1/2 the weight of the competition’s control arms
  • Hard bushing centers control the axle for maximum traction and handling
  • Softer outer bushings edges won't squeak or bind
  • Won't damage torque boxes like other arms with solid bushings
  • Used by winners in NHRA, IHRA, SCCA, Fun Ford Weekend series, and the Ferrari-eating "Steeda Q" T-1 road racer.
  • Easy bolt on
  • Steeda's street & competition proves bushing package
  • Excellent for daily driving or performance use
Steeda 1999-04 Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms - Made in the USA 555-4421

Any further questions?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT