best parts to prevent fish tailing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
best parts to prevent fish tailing

what parts do i need to upgrade to prevent alot of fish tailing when i slam on the gas ? i know better tires for one like DR's . what else ? ever since i installed the tuner i feel it gained more power so i fish tail even more when i slam on it. im gona take the car to the tracks on sunday to see what times it can do but i dont wana drive into the wall.

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you give me a list of current mods I can tell you what your missing or need to change in order to harness your power.
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
To me it's usually the driver, you have to ease into to it not just slam the foot down because if you do you will spin. Try easing into it and when it starts rolling then slam it down.
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

suspension wise i just have dropzone springs . i know i need new shocks soon and maybe camber bolts or something cuz i need an alignment pretty bad already. and i just have basic bolt on's , intake, shorty headers, off road x, slp's, 315 summi's out back , and custom tuned.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
To me it's usually the driver, you have to ease into to it not just slam the foot down because if you do you will spin. Try easing into it and when it starts rolling then slam it down.
ok. i need more practice but i cant find open roads around here. i guess i'll practice when im at the strip on sunday. im not much of a racer i just wana see what its like to drag race and to see what time this gt gets now that its tuned

Low2v
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Control arms would give your stang more bite on the street and at the track but they shouldnt be necisary for your current mods. If youve never raced at a track before you probly dont realize track pavement is stickier than street pavement.

Venomouz is right about not hammering your car at the track. You will need to learn how to launch your car. Try launching your car at around 5000rpm on your first run. If the tires spin then go down to 4000 rpm. If they spin then go down to 3000 and so on. Once you finally get your car to not spin try launching 300-100rpm higher until you start to spin again.

Once youve found your optimum launch rpm you can now start lowering your tire presure to increase your launch rpm for quicker 60 foot times. You can lower the PSI on your tires at the track to get a little more traction. I go as low as 15 PSI on street tires when im at the track but fill them back up ASAP when I get back on the road, you dont want your tire to separate from your rim from constant highway speeds with no air pressure.

Pay attention to your cars 60foot times. Its possible your car may launch better with a little bit of spin because your not bogging the engine down.

Dont hot lap your almost stock car and make passes back to back. Give your car at least a 20 minute cool down so your not breaking parts.

Remember to check your fuilds before you go and take a tire pressure guage with you to the track.

Have fun!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
Control arms would give your stang more bite on the street and at the track but they shouldnt be necisary for your current mods. If youve never raced at a track before you probly dont realize track pavement is stickier than street pavement.

Venomouz is right about not hammering your car at the track. You will need to learn how to launch your car. Try launching your car at around 5000rpm on your first run. If the tires spin then go down to 4000 rpm. If they spin then go down to 3000 and so on. Once you finally get your car to not spin try launching 300-100rpm higher until you start to spin again.

Once youve found your optimum launch rpm you can now start lowering your tire presure to increase your launch rpm for quicker 60 foot times. You can lower the PSI on your tires at the track to get a little more traction. I go as low as 15 PSI on street tires when im at the track but fill them back up ASAP when I get back on the road, you dont want your tire to separate from your rim from constant highway speeds with no air pressure.

Pay attention to your cars 60foot times. Its possible your car may launch better with a little bit of spin because your not bogging the engine down.

Dont hot lap your almost stock car and make passes back to back. Give your car at least a 20 minute cool down so your not breaking parts.

Remember to check your fuilds before you go and take a tire pressure guage with you to the track.

Have fun!!!
+1 good info
Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Also if you want to launch your car at maximum RPM a set of sticky Mickey Thompson tires can do that for you all by them selves but there are other parts that you would need to replace first so you dont tear up your suspension or drivetrain and break down at the track. Some of the parts you would need to launch on D/R's are aftermarket dual friction clutch, drive shaft, sub frame connectors and control arms.

Also when you go to the track wear long pants. They might not let you go down the track in shorts.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Some Lakewood shocks will also help with launching.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

im not much of a racer i just wana see what its like to drag race and to see what time this gt gets now that its tuned[/QUOTE]

This likely wont last long. It will turn into an addiction! Lol
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It is addicting and fun! I have yet to go this year but I'm planning one soon.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Its addicting enough that I ran my 302 powered explorer down the strip last year for gigles since im still inbetween mustangs. I have to keep telling myself not to put nitrous on my explorer.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Have fun!!!
thanks for all the info !! i hope i dont mess up my car lol

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post
im not much of a racer i just wana see what its like to drag race and to see what time this gt gets now that its tuned
This likely wont last long. It will turn into an addiction! Lol[/QUOTE]

lol i hope i dont get too addicted lol

Low2v
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post

thanks for all the info !! i hope i dont mess up my car lol

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

This likely wont last long. It will turn into an addiction! Lol
lol i hope i dont get too addicted lol[/QUOTE]

Dont get ur hopes up... Its a pleasurable way to enjoy yourself! And btw ur sumitomos are why ur slidin all over haha i had some on my cobra rs and they suck! My nt555r are the **** compared to those!
1996v6stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Switching to a Nitto Drag Tire would help but after my experience with them Id rather stick to M/T Street Radials Tires in their place. I now rely on M/T for all my tire needs.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996v6stang View Post

lol i hope i dont get too addicted lol
Dont get ur hopes up... Its a pleasurable way to enjoy yourself! And btw ur sumitomos are why ur slidin all over haha i had some on my cobra rs and they suck! My nt555r are the **** compared to those![/QUOTE]

i kno they suck. ive had em for over a year and it was a horrible choice

Low2v
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

M/T has a new tire I havnt tried yet but might be a good option for you if you still drive your car in the rain. M/T's UHP tire.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have some Falken Ziex tires on and I think theyre pretty decent, CHEAP to.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Falken does offer some good UHP tires. The Falken 452 is what was used on the record setting Ferrari Enzo.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
M/T has a new tire I havnt tried yet but might be a good option for you if you still drive your car in the rain. M/T's UHP tire.
where can i buy M/T tires

Low2v
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Since I live in Dallas Area, local performance shops are where I pick mine up at. If you dont have local hot rod shops to rely on the mickey thompson website should have a dealer locator you can use.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
what parts do i need to upgrade to prevent alot of fish tailing when i slam on the gas ? i know better tires for one like DR's . what else ? ever since i installed the tuner i feel it gained more power so i fish tail even more when i slam on it. im gona take the car to the tracks on sunday to see what times it can do but i dont wana drive into the wall.
Upper and lower control arms
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A Subaru...........
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Am I the only one who thinks this thread should be "best part about fish tailing"

Mustang.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT