Tire questions! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Tire questions!

Hi everyone I need some help with tires!


I want to put 18" bullitt rims on my 02 GT I have 17s on right now. But I want to put 315s on the rear. I want to know if that is possible? Will it sit flush?

Is there a big difference between 17s with 315s on the back or 18s with 285s. I know it would e cheaper to just keep the 17x9 on the front and go with 17x10 on the rear is that a more logical choice?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
You'll need at least a 10.5" wheel to fit 315s. Yes, there's a huge difference between 285 and 315.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
If u want 315's go 17 for safety 315's work on an 18' wheel but its really pushing it and the difference between 285 and 315 is a pretty big difference in width
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
You'll need at least a 10.5" wheel to fit 315s. Yes, there's a huge difference between 285 and 315.
Yeah I was going to put 17x10s or 18x10s in the back. I want 18s because I think appearance wise they look better more flush but Im thinking its going to be really expensive buying 4 new rims and 4 new tires.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
If u want 315's go 17 for safety 315's work on an 18' wheel but its really pushing it and the difference between 285 and 315 is a pretty big difference in width
The more I look at prices it's looking like I'm just going to buy 17x10 and go 315. Any recommendations for the front?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
17x9 265-275 either or
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
You can fit a 315 on a 10'
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
Are the 17's 10.5s?
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
Are the 17's 10.5s?
Yes they are I'm sorry I don't mean to be confusing writing 17x10! http://www.americanmuscle.com/anthra...-set-9904.html
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3388567833.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	98806

315 Pirelli on a 10'
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
Be sure to shoot Dan or Shane on the fourms for a 6% discount code! Saved me around 80$!
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
That's the package I wanted to buy. I have 17x9s on the front and back I believe. Is there a way to check if I have 10.5 on the back? Sorry if that's a stupid question I've never really cared about tires in the past this is my first time actually buying tires not just telling a guy "put the cheapest ones on" and Handing over money.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
If u haven't done so already lol

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post
That's the package I wanted to buy. I have 17x9s on the front and back I believe. Is there a way to check if I have 10.5 on the back? Sorry if that's a stupid question I've never really cared about tires in the past this is my first time actually buying tires not just telling a guy "put the cheapest ones on" and Handing over money.
It states in the title they are 10.5's your good
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
If u haven't done so already lol

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 PM ----------



It states in the title they are 10.5's your good
I mean the rim I have on now. Because I'm assuming that I have 17x9 on the whole car. Is there a way to see if my rims are bigger or no?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
If the rears are above 275 then they are 10's
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
If u want 315's go 17 for safety 315's work on an 18' wheel but its really pushing it and the difference between 285 and 315 is a pretty big difference in width
Usually 18s need the fenders rolled for a wide tire.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post
If the rears are above 275 then they are 10's
They are 255 I believe. I needed to buy new rims anyway two of them have really bad curb rash from the previous owner so I guess it needed to be done anyway. Ill just rotate the curb rashes one onto Craigslist. I've also read on here that these anthracites have a slight discoloration from the factory rims. Anyone know if that's true?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Usually 18s need the fenders rolled for a wide tire.
Yes! Forgot to mention that lol
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post

Usually 18s need the fenders rolled for a wide tire.
I'm going to stay with the 17s but what is fender rolling I've seen that term alot and have no idea what it is.
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
schmitty426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Woodbury
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post

They are 255 I believe. I needed to buy new rims anyway two of them have really bad curb rash from the previous owner so I guess it needed to be done anyway. Ill just rotate the curb rashes one onto Craigslist. I've also read on here that these anthracites have a slight discoloration from the factory rims. Anyone know if that's true?
Idk if 255's go on a 9' tire hoestly I don't know sounds like a 8' tire... stock is 245's so I think u have 8' wheels all around
schmitty426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Yea me too, you will need to roll them if you are dropped.
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmitty426 View Post

Idk if 255's go on a 9' tire hoestly I don't know sounds like a 8' tire... stock is 245's so I think u have 8' wheels all around
You're right I'm sorry. I was going by memory because.... lazy. I have 245s on the whole car.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Also stopped being lazy and googled searched fender rolling. I don't need to do that for 17x10.5 with 315s right?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Are you lowered?
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Are you lowered?
No but I plan to lower the car 1.5 front and rear
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
ksrumbel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hamburg
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post

You're right I'm sorry. I was going by memory because.... lazy. I have 245s on the whole car.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Also stopped being lazy and googled searched fender rolling. I don't need to do that for 17x10.5 with 315s right?
I have 17x9 fronts with 255s and 17x10.5 rears with 315s and I'm lowered 2" and no fender rolling was necessary.
ksrumbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ckennedy121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrumbel View Post

I have 17x9 fronts with 255s and 17x10.5 rears with 315s and I'm lowered 2" and no fender rolling was necessary.
Thanks man
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Region: Arkansas
Posts: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckennedy121 View Post

I'm going to stay with the 17s but what is fender rolling I've seen that term alot and have no idea what it is.
It's a device that literally rolls on the inside of the wheel flare and pushes it out to make room for the wheel. It takes patience or it will crack your paint.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:09 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.