Front Lower Control Arm Removal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Front Lower Control Arm Removal

I've got the lower control arm bolts loose and ready to remove. I know I have to remove the bolt holding the steering rack in place to get clearance for the front control arm bolt, but do I have to remove both bolts on both sides of the rack to be able to slide it up to remove the control arm bolt? I am attempting to removing the control arms one side at a time. I couldn't get the steering rack to move with some pretty substantial pressure which leads me to beeline I have to disconnect the tie rod on the other side and remove the second steering rack bolt to get it to move.

Thoughts?
Tanker2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If I understand whats going on correctly then you are correct, one way is to do the other side at the same time in order to get the steering shaft to move out of the way. The other way is to just hop in your car and use your power steering for you rather than against you and turn the steering wheel. Either way both front tires will need to be jacked up off the ground at the same time so your car doesnt fall off a jack. Also doing one side at a time means that when your done the car wont need to be re aligned. Go ahead and make sure the car is properly jacked up in the front with both front wheels off the ground and use your steering wheel to move the steering shaft tie rod out of the way once its unbolted. Does this make since or is it somthing else your having trouble with?
DieselStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I jacked up the other side and placed it on a jack stand. Once it was off the ground, I removed the second steering rack bolt. I had to use a large screwdriver to pry the rack up enough to remove the LCA bolt. It came about 2/3s the way out and then it was stuck. It wasn't really stuck in the control arm but I couldn't get it to pull through. It seemed like the rack wouldn't get out of the way enough to get the right angle to pull it out. I just cut it off. I have new bolts and hopefully I will be able to get them in there.

Now I'm working on getting the front side bushing out of the LCA. The rear one came out no problem but the front rubber portion is being stubborn. I was able to remove the center sleeve, though, so now it's just trying to drill, cut, and pull out the rubber.

Any ideas to make it easier? I don't have an acetylene torch.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStang View Post
If I understand whats going on correctly then you are correct, one way is to do the other side at the same time in order to get the steering shaft to move out of the way. The other way is to just hop in your car and use your power steering for you rather than against you and turn the steering wheel. Either way both front tires will need to be jacked up off the ground at the same time so your car doesnt fall off a jack. Also doing one side at a time means that when your done the car wont need to be re aligned. Go ahead and make sure the car is properly jacked up in the front with both front wheels off the ground and use your steering wheel to move the steering shaft tie rod out of the way once its unbolted. Does this make since or is it somthing else your having trouble with?
Thanks for your advice!
Tanker2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT