Hollowed out Cats - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hollowed out Cats

Has anyone ever done it? I have one on my truck that's been rattling. If you have done it, did it pass smog? Pretty easy to do?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Me and my dad done it on his truck, it took a lot of beatin lol. And im not sure if it will pass or not
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. I'm going to do it. I won't know if it passes until my next smog in October 2014. I have another good one but they look very restrictive inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
They deffinitely are, we could tell a purty big difference. Made the truck much louder lol
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome!!! Exactly what I wanted to hear. I'll deal with any smog issues later. Lol.Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone else? I'm still curious if anyone has ever done this and still passed smog. I thought that it was the Mustang guys that invented this trick. Maybe I should have posted this in the ppushrod forum...
Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
+1 hate when you get no responses
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post
+1 hate when you get no responses
I wonder if anyone knows what I'm talking about.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

As in just increasing diameter inside with a tool or something ?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post
As in just increasing diameter inside with a tool or something ?
You take a piece of pipe and beat the guts out of the catalytic converter. Sounds brutal but they are pretty restrictive inside. I have 3.5 inch exhaust, but it looks like it gets choked down to about half that going into the cat. There's actually a screen at the inlet. Old school street ra er trick. Put the cat back on and visually looks like it did when it rolled off the assembly line. Heap horsepower.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry should've put more but yea I've seen something like that done on a bike I think using iron rod and a small sledge hammer. Made it alot louder
Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt
Anyone else? I'm still curious if anyone has ever done this and still passed smog. I thought that it was the Mustang guys that invented this trick. Maybe I should have posted this in the ppushrod forum...
We dont have smog in mississippi but both my stangs have gutted cats with x pipes and if you have to pass smog emission there then i can honestly say you would probably fail. Most ppl cant stand by my cars long because the smell is so rich. But man it makes the exhaust sound wonderful!
blackdreams15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I gutted out my cats on my v6. Took a lot of beating but worth it. Loud! Busted all 4 cats btw.
XSlashDashX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
This is a tricky question because it depends. Here in nj we don't have smog but we do have emissions testing and I use to work for the inspection station years back and I have seen cars with cats fail and cars that have straight pipes pass, it mostly depends how your car is running how clean it runs. Basically what I mean is the cats are only work when they have to if that makes me sense if your motor is running clean the cats are just there if your car is running dirty that's when they actually so their job. It doesn't really give you an exact yes or no answer but just an idea lol.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdreams15 View Post

We dont have smog in mississippi but both my stangs have gutted cats with x pipes and if you have to pass smog emission there then i can honestly say you would probably fail. Most ppl cant stand by my cars long because the smell is so rich. But man it makes the exhaust sound wonderful!
You would b surprised some of the stinkiest exhaust I have seen pass emission like to the point you felt like you would pass out lol n others u couldn't even smell fail. Smell isn't always a bad thing lol.
GReese87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReese87
This is a tricky question because it depends. Here in nj we don't have smog but we do have emissions testing and I use to work for the inspection station years back and I have seen cars with cats fail and cars that have straight pipes pass, it mostly depends how your car is running how clean it runs. Basically what I mean is the cats are only work when they have to if that makes me sense if your motor is running clean the cats are just there if your car is running dirty that's when they actually so their job. It doesn't really give you an exact yes or no answer but just an idea lol.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

You would b surprised some of the stinkiest exhaust I have seen pass emission like to the point you felt like you would pass out lol n others u couldn't even smell fail. Smell isn't always a bad thing lol.
I can believe it. If you can pass with it its worth it
blackdreams15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha Greese87. It's an F250 with a built 460 that has passed CA emissions with flying colors since it was new. I've heard that, running correctly, they will actually pass with all of the emissions equipment removed. Just not the visual inspection. Lol. I guess I'll find out at the next test. Thanks for the input everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT