Mustang Evolution Forum banner

caliper locking up

10K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  jdavis96gt 
#1 ·
My passenger side caliper keeps locking up. I can't get piston in without popping bleeder open. All my other cars I just took lid of master cylinder. Would it be caliper or hose collapsing? It did it yesterday and I got piston back in, ran bout hour today and it did it again.

#4 ·
I was just hoping someone else had same problem before. Ive never had to pop the bleeder valve to get piston in before, usually open master cylinder cap and they slide right in. The piston is rusted a little bit I've seen worse lol.

This morning and even rode hour away and came down steep mountain with lots of 25mph turns and it worked fine. Got home backed out and hit brakes BAM, stuck again.

The pedal only goes down 1/4". Recently I've replaced master cylinder, brakes and rotors.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

What would collasping hose do?

#5 ·
I was just hoping someone else had same problem before. Ive never had to pop the bleeder valve to get piston in before, usually open master cylinder cap and they slide right in. The piston is rusted a little bit I've seen worse lol.

This morning and even rode hour away and came down steep mountain with lots of 25mph turns and it worked fine. Got home backed out and hit brakes BAM, stuck again.

The pedal only goes down 1/4". Recently I've replaced master cylinder, brakes and rotors.
I've had a similar issue and I bought new calipers they didn't solve the problem. I'd start with replacing the hose. I haven't done so yet, but it's on my to do list

#16 ·
New caliper still froze up. Sometimes I can drive miles and nothing and sometimes it sticks. I've put new master cylinder, caliper,brake hose. Recently put drilled&slotted rotors on.

What does portioning valve do when it goes bad? There's a box looking thing on passenger side, right up from drain plug on radiator, is that portioning valve box? Also one right under MC, so is there 2 portioning valves.

#18 ·
Wouldn't that lock up both front calipers. If it locks up, I take wheel off,: put c-clamp on it. Pop bleeder open for a second and its fine, for a little while.

Yesterday I bled about 1/2 qt of brake fluid out and it looked kinda greenish tint. Like real dilluted antifreeze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.