2v to 3v conversion help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #1

Region: Connecticut
2v to 3v conversion help

hey guys i have a 1996 mustang gt with a powerdyne s/c i wanna change from the 2v heads to the 3v can someone tell me if it possible and what will b needed in order to do the change thank you
powerdynegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdynegt View Post
hey guys i have a 1996 mustang gt with a powerdyne s/c i wanna change from the 2v heads to the 3v can someone tell me if it possible and what will b needed in order to do the change thank you
It would be a lot easier to do a 4v head swap.
98vertgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vertgt View Post

It would be a lot easier to do a 4v head swap.
+1 and more mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #4

okay well then for the 4v what would need to be done whats needed
Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
okay well then for the 4v what would need to be done whats needed
There's a write up in the stickies that might answer your question.
jazzystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

can u forward me the link to this post or whatever because i can not find it anywere
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
can u forward me the link to this post or whatever because i can not find it anywere
At the vey top next to where it says Threads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4242603076.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	100113  
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #8

i still can not find this thread about the 2v to 4v please help
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
i still can not find this thread about the 2v to 4v please help
Okay go to the 1979-2014 Mustang GT section, than go to 99-04 section, than in the top left corner you will see a STICKIES tab, click that tab, than 2-3 threads down is the 2v-4v writeup
Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #10

I'm still kind of new to this forum thing so forgive my stupidity loll that page is just for the head swap wright because all iI want to do is head swap thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
I'm still kind of new to this forum thing so forgive my stupidity loll that page is just for the head swap wright because all iI want to do is head swap thanks
A head swap isn't worth it really. You'll have to buy different followers, lifters, cam gears, etc. and you won't see anything worthwhile out of it.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

well I just want to try it first or maybe the 3v heads does anyone know exsactly wut iI wuldwould need
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well I just want to try it first or maybe the 3v heads does anyone know exsactly wut iI wuldwould need
Seriously, don't waste your money.
the 3v has variable cam timing, you will need the harness and pcm, you can pick up a complete 3v , harness,trans pcm, off ebay or your local bone yard and do a complete swap.

3v nor the 4v conversion needs a new harness you just wont have a knock sensor which is no biggy (4v). the 3v you wil have to Lock the phasers to Dissable VVT or like said above you will need to swap out harnesses and PCM but it can be done with a stock harness and PCM.

Personally I'd use either ported 2v heads or if you really fell the need to swap go and find your self some "C" heads and do a 4v. then you can buy a beat to hell 4v and just swap the covers and non-milaged issue parts.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #14

thanks for the swift response guys appreciate it much.. so im guessing i shuld just put the 4v heads well what exsactly step by step will i need like whats modfication will i need to do to make them work iv heard of ppl putting the mach 1 heads on but is it posible to use the cobra heads? if so whats is needed for that
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
thanks for the swift response guys appreciate it much.. so im guessing i shuld just put the 4v heads well what exsactly step by step will i need like whats modfication will i need to do to make them work iv heard of ppl putting the mach 1 heads on but is it posible to use the cobra heads? if so whats is needed for that
Not to be rude, but punctuation might make your questions a little clearer and may yield better results. Again, not bashing or anything, just saying.
Matticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Again, no.
Swapping to different valve layout heads is a terrible idea. Going to 4v, you completely change compression ratios and actually LOSE power. Plus, with 4v heads, you're looking at probably $2,000-$3,000 worth of parts ON TOP of the heads cost. You need 4 cams, brand new valves, new pistons to make up for compression loss, probably new connecting rods for the pistons if you plan to make power, new cam gears, new lash adjusters, new followers, I could go on and on.
If you REALLY want to change heads, then just get yours ported or buy heads made for a 2v.
Swapping to anything except an upgraded 2v head is a terrible idea and will end up costing twice as much to make a helluva lot less power than something like TrickFlow Twisted Wedge heads. Those see 50-60 hp increases with tunes and the right supporting work, whereas 3v or 4v heads will need serious work done to make up for the power you lose just by switching.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #17

oo ok so then i shuld then deff stay with the 2v heads any websites that are pretty good priced? i already no jegs mustangs unlimitated but they dont really have what im looking for? but let me just say my setup so far but this is how i got exsept for the s/c. so far i 1996 mustang gt to start i got powerdyne centrifugal charger, bbk short throw shifter, ford racing 373 rear gears, bassani x pipe 40series mufflers, wit flowmaster exhaust, the ecu was chipped not sure with what but tht comming out wen its gets tuned, cool mist water methanol injection, bbk headers (shorty) light pulleys any other ideas what i should add
Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oo ok so then i shuld then deff stay with the 2v heads any websites that are pretty good priced? i already no jegs mustangs unlimitated but they dont really have what im looking for? but let me just say my setup so far but this is how i got exsept for the s/c. so far i 1996 mustang gt to start i got powerdyne centrifugal charger, bbk short throw shifter, ford racing 373 rear gears, bassani x pipe 40series mufflers, wit flowmaster exhaust, the ecu was chipped not sure with what but tht comming out wen its gets tuned, cool mist water methanol injection, bbk headers (shorty) light pulleys any other ideas what i should add
What are you wanting to add for? Sounds like you've got plenty of power.
If you want heads, just get yours ported or pick up TrickFlow or Patriot.
I would forge your internals and crank the boost up. That's all I would do.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

im looking to try an make more power idk wut exsactly im making because i havent tuned yet because i want to do it after i put all of of my parts ya know. but idk wut else to add but i got to figure out a problem as well ppl said it because i got to change the gear fluid sometimes that work sometimes like randomly my 2gear will pop out but i dont have any grinds in tranny or any noises that sound bad and it doesnt pop out often cars only got 75k just hit 75
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If you had a TR3650 or T56, I would say it sounds like a shift stop is too far in.
I would say you've got linkage problems if I had to venture a guess. I really don't know much about transmissions.

As far as making more power, forge your internals and run more boost with an intercooler if you don't have one already. Change over to stronger methanol injection (I know nothing about meth injection so I don't even know if there are strengths) and watch the power climb.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #21

Like I said I really appreciate all the help. I'm going to forge the internals and rite now I have 8psi pulleyI believe I'm using boost juice in my methanol kit rite now I think its like 49%meth 50%water
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #22

as far as the tranny goes im going to try the fluid first see if that helps it out if not ill change the linkage and sync

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT