Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rough idle with a/c & Defrost

18K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, whenever I turn on my a/c or defrost the car idles very odd, you can hear the compressor switch on and the engine revs to 1200 then dips to 450 then goes to the normal idle of about 650. Whenever the a/c is on all it does is repeat this cycle, no matter what the operating temp is.

I have already replaced the IAC and cleaned the entire upper engine including t/b and MAF.

The car will also surge slightly when driving around. The surge happens for about the 5 seconds that the compressor is switched on, its awefully annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK5aAyq9W-4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This problem has me stumped, I also can here a slight "whistle" or humm sound when I'm driving down the highway and my exhaust isn't drowning everything out.

I'm stumped and I'm about just give up and take it to the ford dealer so they can empty my pockets. Any help is very much appreciated, thank y'all.

#6 ·
If u have underdriven pulleys I think it can cause it. I can't remember what the part is but turn on ur heater or ac pop the hood and look at the bottom of the pulley on the left side. U can see the part click on n off. I'm pretty sure it's normal. Annoying tho I have the same issue. Only happens when heater is on. Revs a bit higher like its on a cycle I have no clue why lol should look into it

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

A/c clutch pulley*

#8 ·
The whistle or hum sound may be the ac clutch going bad or the compressor itself. You could have the system pulled down and have the shop put fresh ac oil in the compressor when it is refilled. Could have water in lines causing too much pressure. On the other hand the whistle sound could be a cracked leaking intake.

#9 ·
Thanks For All the replys guys, im going to check the A/C compressor out, the pulley still spins but the cycle is only for 5 seconds and this is when the RPM rises. When the cycle stops and the pulley stops spinning is when the RPMs dip. Ill post back with what i find out so maybe i can help all you other guys out. I know the RPMs are supposed to kick up a bit to deal with the extra load on the engine but dipping to 450 isnt normal. I also took a video today and ill post that up for you guys to take a look at when i get the chance. :good:

#19 ·
Mine is doing the same only i dont have the noises but idk my car is loud as hell. Ive come to the conclusion its something to do with the vacuum system ive replaced most of them except the ones inside the dash and its not as bad as it was. Check there as well

#21 ·
Compressor could be seizing up. If it's harder to turn than normal when engaged that could account for it.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.