Bad news / Good news - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Bad news / Good news

Took the pony to the trans shop today to make sure my clutch cable was bad before I replaced it. Turns out my syncro's r bad not the cable. Trans shop suggested I replace it with a high performance trans. They will not work on the trans, but he will put a new one in. Good news, my TOB is good. Lol

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well that sucks, you can also buy a used one for a couple hundred bucks
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How much did he quote you?
Ckennedy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
My local Ford dealer charged $2600 just for the a new TR3650 tranny. I had an extended warranty, so I didn't have to pay that, but still... I would look at an aftermarket replacement from from Jasper engines and transmissions or a used one as suggested.

On my tranny, the synchro's weren't shot, but I can tell the difference now that I have a new one. My old one had an input shaft bearing that was bad. This also scored the input shaft and I guess it's difficult to find new replacements, so they just stuck a new one in there.

*Edit*
If you happen to pickup a replacement, new or used, get a new cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster for your clutch. It makes a huge difference in shifting, especially when your slammin' gears.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

300 to install, I have a couple other shops I am going to check with. Priced a new trans, ouch! Would be bad but I just bought 4 new tires, an replaced everything in the rear-end except the axels, so my pony budget is exhausted lol. I may look in to a used one, but I always have the worst of luck will used parts.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The next trans shop said its not my syncro's. They said its the dual friction clutch. It still spinning when I press in the clutch, therefore not allowing to to go into gear properly. Recommends I change to an Oem clutch. But I have a fidanza flywheel. Does anyone have experience with the dual friction clutches? Will my fidanza bolt up to an Oem clutch
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03RedfireGt View Post
The next trans shop said its not my syncro's. They said its the dual friction clutch. It still spinning when I press in the clutch, therefore not allowing to to go into gear properly. Recommends I change to an Oem clutch. But I have a fidanza flywheel. Does anyone have experience with the dual friction clutches? Will my fidanza bolt up to an Oem clutch
They should always check the stock plastic quadrants before saying "it's your clutch". I'm not sure about the dual friction clutch, but make sure your quadrant is not cracked. If its cracked/broken, it can keep the clutch from disengaging completely too.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Is that the plastic piece attached to the firewall
Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Is that the plastic piece attached to the firewall
On the outside in the engine bay, you can see where the cable goes in.

Attachment 101573
You can see that on the right in ^this pic. On the left is the quadrant on the inside of the car under the dash. If you look under, in lines up about in between the brake and gas pedal.

Attachment 101574
The quadrant taken apart

The stock quadrant can flex, crack or break completely over time, with hard clutching, when the cable gets bad and hard to move, and often with aftermarket clutches installed. Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sure does, I was looking at that the other day. I had the misses pressing in the clutch. I didn't notice an cracks or anything but I will go inspect the heck out of it tonight, Appreciate the help
Old 04-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Sure does, I was looking at that the other day. I had the misses pressing in the clutch. I didn't notice an cracks or anything but I will go inspect the heck out of it tonight, Appreciate the help
Watch it to to make sure it's not flexing enough to keep the cable from being pulled in toward the driver inside the car. Alternately, you could jack the car up and pop the inspection/cable cover and watch the clutch fork moving. The cable pulls the clutch fork toward the engine. At least that way it will make you feel like the info they give you is correct about your clutch.

If it is your clutch that needs to be replaced, pickup a Ford Racing throw out bearing and pilot bearing from American Muscle. Always replace those when the tranny is coming out. It couold certainly save you some money down the road. Also pickup the cable, quadrant and firewall adjuster to replace the stock crap. They should be able to replace those parts for you while they work on your clutch.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you may can find a junk yard trans in good shape to swap in easily enough (or an ebay trans) if you are near stock HP level no need for high performance with near stock power levels.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ok so I just look at the quadrant. I have a ford racing adjustable quadrant, which I did not know it had
Old 04-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Ok so I just look at the quadrant. I have a ford racing adjustable quadrant, which I did not know it had
That's good! That probably means you have a newer cable too. How does it look, the cable? Aftermarket cables can often stretch and reduce the clutch disengagement. This can usually be adjusted.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The cable looks to be in good shape. I took my finger and pushed on it under the dash. It was not extremely tight I could move it a little bit
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
The cable looks to be in good shape. I took my finger and pushed on it under the dash. It was not extremely tight I could move it a little bit
As long as the cable moves when you push the clutch pedal to the floor and back, it is probably okay. At least it seems like the shop you went to isn't missing something. SpectorV is right, no need to buy a performance tranny if your Mustang is lightly modded. Hopefully you can find a suitable replacement.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I this its a new clutch, it won't be that shop though. He quoted me 800 to replace it. I call another shop that have felt with more, he quoted me 530, as long as the fidanza flywheel bolts up to the oem clutch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT