WTF with dealers? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
WTF with dealers?

Ok my fiance is looking at a jeep rubicon she wants to trade in her 04 gt on it for. We paid 7000 last year with 147k on it. Took it to dealers and one didn't check the vin and said well give you 4k for this car on a trade in. I was like wtf? The car has 157k on it now and has a clear tn title and I sent another dealer the vin and they said we can only give you 3800 because there are two reported accidents. .... One was a claim I made when the car wash took some paint off and another was when I lost control and the bumper was the only thing torn off. Only the bumper nothing else. Am I the only one who thinks dealers try and cheat people?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
use kbb.com man it will give you a trade in value and a private party, dealerships will always try to low ball u. i would try and sell it for cash and use the cash as a down payment
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
those r pretty high miles for an 04. idk if that is one reason. u should just sell ur car ur self instead of trying a trade in

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
those r pretty high miles for an 04. idk if that is one reason. u should just sell ur car ur self instead of trying a trade in
i do agree^^ 157 on a 04 v8 is high. my 02 has 68,000 and kbb says it only worth like $7,000(without all the mods) ive added like 5,000 in mods so inknow its worth alot more than that
CAMARO_KILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplay View Post
Thanks and when we did this we also included our 98 eclipse with a brand new paint job taillights headlighgts new top and they wanted 2500 value it and it has 108xxx on it. The f150 we included has 140xxx and they wanted 3500 for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO_KILLA View Post
use kbb.com man it will give you a trade in value and a private party, dealerships will always try to low ball u. i would try and sell it for cash and use the cash as a down payment
Kbb is less than useless with 97% of dealers. In fact I'm not even sure why kbb exists, it's really not very accurate. Honestly with that many miles they are likely to just wholesale it. You may get a little more from a private sale but those offers really aren't too far off.

Plus why would you expect to buy if for 7k and still sell it for close to the same? The dealer will probably try to resell about 6-7k and like it or not they are a business and businesses to try to earn profit. They won't make any money if they sell it for the same amount they buy it from you

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Kbb is less than useless with 97% of dealers. In fact I'm not even sure why kbb exists, it's really not very accurate. Honestly with that many miles they are likely to just wholesale it. You may get a little more from a private sale but those offers really aren't too far off.

Plus why would you expect to buy if for 7k and still sell it for close to the same? The dealer will probably try to resell about 6-7k and like it or not they are a business and businesses to try to earn profit. They won't make any money if they sell it for the same amount they buy it from you
I was about to say they would sell it for prob 8k. But I mean they will give me 6200 for my rebuilt title 99 cobra with 115xxx on it. I figured they'd be some difference but I guess clear or not it doesn't matter to them :/
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
A dealer will prob give you half of what a private seller would. When I tried trading my 99 v6 clean everything they wanted to give me 1500.. I was like wth lol. Ended up selling it to a private seller for 4500
Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post

+1000 I would take the 4k offer that's not bad for a trade in with those miles. I would expect they will mark it for $6,500 or 7 at the most. And like grabber blue said they have to make money too

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

They only offer me 11,000 trade on my 05 GT premium with 50,xxx miles on it.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
+1000 I would take the 4k offer that's not bad for a trade in with those miles. I would expect they will mark it for $6,500 or 7 at the most. And like grabber blue said they have to make money too

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

They only offer me 11,000 trade on my 05 GT premium with 50,xxx miles on it.
But I have 7k cash in this car not including the 2k in extra mods rims, lightsn brand new paint job. Guess its gonna be one of those cars that will be stored and when we take it out 50 years from now we might get more than 4k for it :p
Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Extras and mods add no value to a car, dealers find it easier to sell unmodified cars as they have a wider appeal.

As for KBB, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
And dealers don't give a crap about KBB. They will usually tell you "well have KBB buy your car for that price then."

Dealers suck. But they are a business and should be allowed to make a profit.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

But I have 7k cash in this car not including the 2k in extra mods rims, lightsn brand new paint job. Guess its gonna be one of those cars that will be stored and when we take it out 50 years from now we might get more than 4k for it :p
Don't sell it then :/ I'd pay it off and keep it safe. If anything it'll be an emergency car

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Realistically... For a reputable dealer (not a little shady back woods lot) a cars retail life is over at 100k miles. And looking at manhiem auto auction it looks to me like they wouldn't even be getting the $4,000 back it they ran it across the auction block. I think $4,000 is definitely fair.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Well they're in business to make money, and if you were a potential buyer not knowing about the accidents would you buy that car or the one next to it with no reported accidents?

Also consider this they give you $4,000

Add to that
Inspection $70.00
Oil and filter Change $25.00
Detail $150-200
At least $245-295 if the car is perfectly clean and doesn't have any problems, the paint is perfect and no door dings.

The average car dealer spends close to $800-1,000 on average to get a used car ready for sale. That leaves them a potential profit of $2,000-3,000 if it sells quick.

If they wholesale the car as is they'll maybe get $200-300 on the deal.

If they go to auction they'll probably get 500-800 on the sale after they pay run fees.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Now 2-3k may seem like a lot but out of that profit they have to pay the salesman, the manager, the electricity bill, workers comp, taxes on profit etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Well they're in business to make money, and if you were a potential buyer not knowing about the accidents would you buy that car or the one next to it with no reported accidents?

Also consider this they give you $4,000

Add to that
Inspection $70.00
Oil and filter Change $25.00
Detail $150-200
At least $245-295 if the car is perfectly clean and doesn't have any problems, the paint is perfect and no door dings.

The average car dealer spends close to $800-1,000 on average to get a used car ready for sale. That leaves them a potential profit of $2,000-3,000 if it sells quick.

If they wholesale the car as is they'll maybe get $200-300 on the deal.

If they go to auction they'll probably get 500-800 on the sale after they pay run fees.
Thank you.... Nobody ever seems to get that.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Let's look at it this way. ....

Full detail: cost a dealer no where near $150-200. That's just what they tell you.
Door dings and minor deep scratches : won't get fixed.
Inspection: Most times when someone trades in a car it's already inspected because the dealer will try and take that cost out of the trade.
Yes,they are about making money but it's all about compromise. I'm not trying to be a ****** but talking a sales person into what you want is like talking a woman out of her panties.......never take no for a answer. You might not get the answer you want the first time but if you work hard enough you can score.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Let's look at it this way. ....

Full detail: cost a dealer no where near $150-200. That's just what they tell you.
Door dings and minor deep scratches : won't get fixed.
Inspection: Most times when someone trades in a car it's already inspected because the dealer will try and take that cost out of the trade.
Yes,they are about making money but it's all about compromise. I'm not trying to be a ****** but talking a sales person into what you want is like talking a woman out of her panties.......never take no for a answer. You might not get the answer you want the first time but if you work hard enough you can score.
Lol, I like that analogy.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
$4k seems fair to me to be honest. KBB is what it would probably sell for at an auction, and like everyone else said, they have to buy the car, go over it and make sure it's serviceable, get it up to their selling standards, and then probably sell it at an auction, so they have to give themselves some wiggle room to not lose their *** on the car.

I think $4k sounds like a good deal w/ that many miles and no questions asked after you trade it in for $4k, so I'd definitely jump all over that.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiger View Post

I know my brother complains about how people are unrealistic.

He got a guy that wanted to trade a 12 day old focus for a Dart. The guy wanted a 15 for it he's like if we bought it at 15 we'd be competing with a new car
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand they are there to make money. I have 3 cars that I can individually sell and lose maybe 3k or I can trade all three cars that I paid for and get a 10k trade in value when I bought them all for 16-17k..
Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

I understand they are there to make money. I have 3 cars that I can individually sell and lose maybe 3k or I can trade all three cars that I paid for and get a 10k trade in value when I bought them all for 16-17k..
Then sell them yourself instead of venting about it on the internet
Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Then sell them yourself instead of venting about it on the internet
Rude........But I like honesty. Please play nice with the other kids.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Always go private seller lol. My 03 GT with 98k got offered 3500 at Carmax
EthanGT03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanGT03 View Post
Always go private seller lol. My 03 GT with 98k got offered 3500 at Carmax
Lol good advice. I have better things to throw away money on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT