any brake experts out there - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
any brake experts out there

My front calipers are holding pressure. They release after bout 8 hours NY themselves. I've put new calipers and new hoses on both sides. I've bleed about 1 1/2 - 2 qts of fluid. Its nice and clear at every bleeder. I can release pressure at bleeder or hose. I tried releasing pressure at master cylinder but it didn't release. Any ideas?

I've been without stang for over 2 weeks and it sucks. Almost to the point of selling and taking a hell of a loss.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Replace master cylinder and booster. That's the only other parts to mess with
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You may have front brake hoses in which the inner rubber tube has separated from the reinforcing layers, making them behave as "check valves".

When this happens fluid can be forced by the master cylinder, through the hose to the caliper; however it will flow back slowly or not at all when the pedal is released...

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

MC will be here Friday evening. I did booster test and the hydroboost test. They both seemed fine. I pop bleeder at MC and it don't release pressure like it does with bleeder&hose. Does that mean MC is bad? I just replaced MC 2-3 months ago, it was leaking.

Cliffyk Ive replaced calipers and hoses couple days ago.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt View Post
MC will be here Friday evening. I did booster test and the hydroboost test. They both seemed fine. I pop bleeder at MC and it don't release pressure like it does with bleeder&hose. Does that mean MC is bad? I just replaced MC 2-3 months ago, it was leaking.

Cliffyk Ive replaced calipers and hoses couple days ago.
Do you have ABS? It could be an issue with the ABS control valve...

Old 04-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I have ABS. Wouldn't that make light come on tho?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ABS wouldn't release itself over time.

I think ABS, I think $$$ lol
Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ABS wouldn't release itself over time.

I think ABS, I think $$$ lol
Of course it would if the valves were sticking/stuck partially open...

Old 04-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Your scaring me cliffyk. Anyway to test for that?? What's antilock thingy beside battery do?

Also the other day I took spirited ride up the mountain (WV) and came back down and it was fine. Couple hours later I went for another ride, made it 3 miles and lockup. The mountain ride was atleast 30 miles. Don't make sense.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Ive read a few threads about MC messing up and holding pressure. That'd why I figured I do it next.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Wouldn't ABS affect rear too? Sorry for all the questions but I know that u know your stuff lol. The handicap of knowledge lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Your scaring me cliffyk. Anyway to test for that?? What's antilock thingy beside battery do?

Also the other day I took spirited ride up the mountain (WV) and came back down and it was fine. Couple hours later I went for another ride, made it 3 miles and lockup. The mountain ride was atleast 30 miles. Don't make sense.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Ive read a few threads about MC messing up and holding pressure. That'd why I figured I do it next.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Wouldn't ABS affect rear too? Sorry for all the questions but I know that u know your stuff lol. The handicap of knowledge lol.
A bunch of mysteries for sure. Ss to the ABS affecting the rear also--it would not have to as the hydraulic fluid paths through the ABS valve module are at first independent for front and rear (from the master cylinder to the module); and then independent for all four wheel calipers (from the module to the four corners). When activated ABS controls the braking at all four wheels.

It could be some crap in the lines that is moving about and causing intermittent problems. My next move would be to independently flush the lines from the m/c to the ABS module (disconnect them at both ends and blow air through), and then do the same with the lines from the ABS to the four wheel calipers (again disconnect both ends and blow 'em out)...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Well my abs module is bad and I can't find one anywhere. Ford dose t even make it anymore. The only ones on eBay are for the gt without traction control. I have a 2000 gt with traction control. If anyone knows someone with a abs module that will work on a gt with traction control let me know please.
Mfore33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Locked up again. My passenger slider was so tight, I had to hammer out. I can now slide it by hand. Did 30 stop and goes, it was good. Took it on main road and 3 miles later, locked. Called wife to bring me Jack,c clamp and bleeder wrench. Popped bleeder and compressed piston. I brought it home and took around block 10 times locking up brakes on blacktop and sliding. It wouldn't lock up no matter what I did.

So I parked til tomorrow, my knees killing me.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

If there was a piece of dirt wouldn't it make it'd way to the back? I'm used 3 big bottles of brake fluid. Actually just opened the 4th.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Well my abs module is bad and I can't find one anywhere. Ford dose t even make it anymore. The only ones on eBay are for the gt without traction control. I have a 2000 gt with traction control. If anyone knows someone with a abs module that will work on a gt with traction control let me know please.
Did u try mpsalvage?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Rockauto.com carries reman ABS control modules.

$359.79 for 2000 Mustang GT with traction control. $60 core so it's $299.79

They have the hydraulic units also. Speed sensors, etc etc etc. Give em a try.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

BTW I have used them on a few occassions and have no complaints.
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Locked up again. My passenger slider was so tight, I had to hammer out. I can now slide it by hand. Did 30 stop and goes, it was good. Took it on main road and 3 miles later, locked. Called wife to bring me Jack,c clamp and bleeder wrench. Popped bleeder and compressed piston. I brought it home and took around block 10 times locking up brakes on blacktop and sliding. It wouldn't lock up no matter what I did.

So I parked til tomorrow, my knees killing me.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

If there was a piece of dirt wouldn't it make it'd way to the back? I'm used 3 big bottles of brake fluid. Actually just opened the 4th.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Did u try mpsalvage?
The bleeders have very small passages--that is why I would break the lines and blow them out.

It's just a lousy hydraulic system, no rocket science; if the pressure between the caliper and the m/c is not releasing then there is something there behaving as a check valve. As it happens randomly then whatever it is is free to interact randomly--there are no properly functioning system components that can do that so it makes most sense to look for foreign elements. It could yet be the m/c as I do not know at what point the m/c bleed screw enters the system (before or after the m/c piston)

With all that said, and as I do not care to, or have time to, debate and justify every suggestion, I will bow out and wish you well...

Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I just try to get as much knowledge as possible. Only couple people on here I'd take advise from and believe it, and your one of them. Thanks for letting me pick your brain lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. I just try to get as much knowledge as possible. Only couple people on here I'd take advise from and believe it, and your one of them. Thanks for letting me pick your brain lol.
Cool, that is a "horse of a different colour". I fear I have grown old and with limited time left I often (and unjustifiably) get annoyed (too strong a word, perhaps frustrated) when pressed to explain issues that are crystal clear to me.

Thank you for bearing with my cantankerous old nature...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1996-2004 Mustang GT